Quantcast

RIP twitter thread

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
The only social media accounts I have are bike shit.
Teh Monkey - Here daily and usually chirp about something.
Empty Beer - I read the odd forum a couple times a week and post once in a blue moon.
PB - Front page only. I used to post the odd time in a DH forum dedicated to our now closed local hill.

I have Facebook under a pseudonym that is used to keep in touch with a few friends but is primarily used for messenger for bike shit.

One thing that i have noticed about Facebook is the amount of right wing shit I get. It started with nothing for the longest time, then the odd piece. Then over the last couple of years it turned into a trickle then over a few months or so has slowly increased to a flood. It seems the more I hit the "Stop showing me this shit" button the more of it I end up getting. Now I pretty much just ignore it and only use the messenger feature.

This is all on the laptop at home. I still don't have any of this crap on my phone.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
One thing that i have noticed about Facebook is the amount of right wing shit I get. It started with nothing for the longest time, then the odd piece. Then over the last couple of years it turned into a trickle then over a few months or so has slowly increased to a flood. It seems the more I hit the "Stop showing me this shit" button the more of it I end up getting. Now I pretty much just ignore it and only use the messenger feature.
And that right there...is one of the things twitter did differently.

Mostly. Theres some 'whats trending' shit but its bottom up derived, not top down like instabook and youtube. Other than just paid ads twitter never even had the structure for what goes on on the other sites. So real people used it.

Try reading the ukraine WWIII thread and skip over every twitter link or screen capture. Thats whats going to be lost.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have bookface primarily for keeping up to date with local news and happenings (ie DPW, school, bars and restaurants in town) and selling bikes/curb alert trash. I got into instagram recently for reasons I don't know....mostly #FuckSRAMmemes and things like that.

I like getting news from twitter, but I could probably live my life with the app and account gone as well.

And that right there...is one of the things twitter did differently.

Mostly. Theres some 'whats trending' shit but its bottom up derived, not top down like instabook and youtube. Other than just paid ads twitter never even had the structure for what goes on on the other sites. So real people used it.

Try reading the ukraine WWIII thread and skip over every twitter link or screen capture. Thats whats going to be lost.
In general on this forum I have taken to simply ignoring Twitter URLs that are posted.

I had a FB account way back, it got weird, dumped it, have recently carefully opened a new one and am being very selective regarding what I select and who I might add as a friend. So far it seems under control.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I get that forums like Ridemonkey are technically social media, but I would place RM on a completely different level than Twitter, et al. Hell, even comparing Myspace to Facebook seems like an apples to oranges comparison, and they're essentially the same concept, right?
Yeah - these sorts of forums are kind anachronistic in the social media realm. Kind of where Usenet was in the early '00s compared to forums such as this one. FB and such are just the evolution (devolution?) of social media...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Facebook. Still use it almost daily, a few minutes. Mostly for the meme groups and car news and fb marketplace. Otherwise, its dead to me.
Instagram? Have an account, never use it. Never understood instagram. My friends say the point is following girls and getting your feed full of half naked chicks. As a 39yo, I never felt comfortable following 20yo girls posting thong pictures.
Tiktok. Best shit ever. The memes are awesome, most are funny, there are some interesting pieces of wisdom there and it gets educational every now and then.
twitter? have an account, almost never use it. cant spend more than 5 minutes browsing without feeling loosing hope in humanity. Its quite the downer site.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yeah - these sorts of forums are kind anachronistic in the social media realm. Kind of where Usenet was in the early '00s compared to forums such as this one. FB and such are just the evolution (devolution?) of social media...
It's no coincidence that majority of the RM user base circa 2008 is the same RM user base in 2022. Occasional fresh blood comes in, but its largely the same crew.

Forums for the most part seem to be the realm of the 30-50 something crowd, for whom it was the place to e-gather.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We in RM are relics.
Relics from the first-gen internet users era.
So you're saying it's wrong I still use IRC occasionally? :D

(No longer for chatting with online gaming friends, when it was common 15+ years ago, but just used for "things")

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Interesting thesis, not yet convinced of all of it's points but it's certainly got some really strong arguments.
ehhh......crimethinc link

atta boy :D

Along the same train, but further back. A worthy read these days as it applies to all these new faces assfaces

1995 with the first wave of left riding dipshits who exit as 'libburtaryans'

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Good luck you douche canoe. :rofl:
WHO'S PADDLING THAT CANOE NOW MOTHERFUCKER!!

NIPCROP.JPG

nipsbig.jpg

nipplerub.gif

It's friday. I'm drunk on power.
and alcohol

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a Twitter account and only follow a few freelance journalists. No one I know, no celebrities, no politicians.

Currently enjoying blocking every advertiser that comes up. So far working great. You can break the algorithm.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Who's coming with me...

KyloRenMore.jpg

man it would be great if all the advertisers pulled out of the platform and the whole thing tanks. the sweetest irony would be all the shitheads crying cAnCeL cUlTuRe when it's really just the free market they claim to love

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
KyloRenMore.jpg

man it would be great if all the advertisers pulled out of the platform and the whole thing tanks. the sweetest irony would be all the shitheads crying cAnCeL cUlTuRe when it's really just the free market they claim to love
I'm sure there'll be some pillow adverts along soon.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
KyloRenMore.jpg

dude. 100% needs the panicked sweaty button pusher guy meme with "cancel culture" / "free market" tags.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Been hearing from a lot of different sources bits about his financing of the buy out.
This thread seems to coalesce most of that nicely.

https://twitter.com/padresj/status/1586294285095563265

Short version, he's is probably not going to make most of the changes people feared as he now desperately needs money to stay afloat and can't really afford to scare off;
A/ advertisers
B/ content creators

(Sorry JBP it's a bit too much in that thread to screenshot)
Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 8.10.00 AM.png