Quantcast

RIP twitter thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
And the middle east during the arab spring......and the george floyd protests........and the doctors being sidelined during the pandemic.......

People used that platform because they clamped down on bullshit after unite the right, unlike the other trash like facebook. That's gone now.

I don't shed a single tear for the company. But people used it for something unique and valuable. At least for a while. It's going to take years to build that back up somewhere else. It will happen in some way shape or form but it's not exactly the same thing as fucking instagram losing cred. Twitter is where the journalists were. And now they won't be because ivoryknight1488 won't stop stalking them.

It is a website, if the need arises all it takes is people to support a new platform to make a new one.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It is a website, if the need arises all it takes is people to support a new platform to make a new one.
Sure but like I already said, that doesn't happen overnight. For an equivalent, it doesn't exist and it's going to take a while.

For whatever reason (it was the format and the earnest 2017 nazi purge), news ended up on twitter. You know this. Everyone who paid attention knows this. So it is slightly more problematic than grandmas and 4chan 17 year olds on facebook getting canceled™ for posting swastikas. This is one is a little worse because it was the last major platform that still had a shred of legitimacy because of the people who populated it.

On the bright side, elon musk is a shitty businessman who never really innovated anything, so granting the failure of twitter to him might be a stretch. Fucker couldn't even pay for it with real money to come up with his astronomically stupid offer.

It's the weird conundrum of who has the ability to create a large scale, reporting appealing digital platform and the answer is always the biggest douchebags in silicon valley which always sets themselves up for exactly this.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sure but like I already said, that doesn't happen overnight. For an equivalent, it doesn't exist and it's going to take a while.

For whatever reason (it was the format and the earnest 2017 nazi purge), news ended up on twitter. You know this. Everyone who paid attention knows this. So it is slightly more problematic than grandmas and 4chan 17 year olds on facebook getting canceled™ for posting swastikas. This is one is a little worse because it was the last major platform that still had a shred of legitimacy because of the people who populated it.

On the bright side, elon musk is a shitty businessman who never really innovated anything, so granting the failure of twitter to him might be a stretch. Fucker couldn't even pay for it with real money to come up with his astronomically stupid offer.

Propecia is known to have negative effects on mental health.

If Twitter truly becomes unhinged I will start an account called AmericanOligarchsMustDie and provide guillotine design and assembly advice. Maybe a few threads on lag bolt infused potato guns.

FYI: if you put a lag bolt into a potato have a little ribbon hang off of the end so you have flight stability so the pointy end can point.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Propecia is known to have negative effects on mental health.
I have no idea what you're talking about

muskhead.png

Fun fact: I interviewed with Merck in the late 90s in both their research labs and their processing plant. Everyone working there couldn't shut up about the new heart medication they'd just patented called propecia. The fact that 3 months later they admitted it didn't do shit for arrhythmia but magically discovered that it made the monkeys more hairy made me vow to never work in that industry. Plus I met a few of the monkeys. Fucking dens of career fear, misguided money, and misery.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have no idea what you're talking about

View attachment 175597

Fun fact: I interviewed with Merck in the late 90s in both their research labs and their processing plant. Everyone working there couldn't shut up about the new heart medication they'd just patented called propecia. The fact that 3 months later they admitted it didn't do shit for arrhythmia but magically discovered that it made the monkeys more hairy made me vow to never work in that industry. Plus I met a few of the monkeys. Fucking dens of career fear, misguided money, and misery.
I worked for Merck for a year and honestly I had a lot of respect for the folks I worked with at our location. We made an antibiotic whose patent had expired decades ago along with some vaccines. Everyone felt good about what we were doing and were pretty focused on doing a good job. We were harder on ourselves than the FDA was. I have no doubts that on the corporate level there was supreme asshattery but in hindsight I regret ever leaving that place.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Not to throw his name into another thread, but it could be said it was Trump who has ruined twitter. And could also be argued the many great journalists and everyday regular people who used the platform to call out injustice over the last 5 years were using it because it was Trump who sort of pulled the masses into it. Trump began using it so much in such an arrogantly yet destructively productive way that many journalists saw the opportunity to use it to not only combat him but to use it for everything else due to how large it has gotten. Then Trump was canceled. Now Elon is batting..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Even if you're the owner of the company, why and how is that even possible?
He makes the most hackable cars on the planet right now, so good point, maybe he's not smart enough.

Not sure what you mean, possible technologically or legally? Twitter doesn't encrypt the DM libraries. All he would have to do is find someone there to give them to him.

last year

Remember, he personally canceled a dude's car order because he complained. He has no problem using his position for petty personal bullshit.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Not to throw his name into another thread, but it could be said it was Trump who has ruined twitter. And could also be argued the many great journalists and everyday regular people who used the platform to call out injustice over the last 5 years were using it because it was Trump who sort of pulled the masses into it. Trump began using it so much in such an arrogantly yet destructively productive way that many journalists saw the opportunity to use it to not only combat him but to use it for everything else due to how large it has gotten. Then Trump was canceled. Now Elon is batting..
I think Trump’s presence was more like a weather event compared to Elon’s ownership being climate change.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
He makes the most hackable cars on the planet right now, so good point, maybe he's not smart enough.

Not sure what you mean, possible technologically or legally? Twitter doesn't encrypt the DM libraries. All he would have to do is find someone there to give them to him.

Remember, he personally canceled a dude's car order. He called a professional recovery diver a pedo because the diver was critical of elon's cave rescue idea.
I don't think in this context encryption matters, but there should be policies and procedures in place to prevent unauthorized access to private information like that. As a public company, there should be data custodians who should protect it, even if the CEO walks in and demands to obtain said info.

But I guess all that will change. Another reason to ditch twitter, if you do not trust the platform and those who run it. And even further reason not to put sensitive information on a public/private or really any platform that you do not have control of.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I don't think in this context encryption matters, but there should be policies and procedures in place to prevent unauthorized access to private information like that. As a public company, there should be data custodians who should protect it, even if the CEO walks in and demands to obtain said info.
Pretty sure Dinky McDonkus said he was going to take it private after acquiring... so... :confused:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
there should be policies and procedures in place to prevent unauthorized access to private information like that. As a public company, there should be data custodians who should protect it, even if the CEO walks in and demands to obtain said info.
ooh man

wait till you hear about another one called facebook

You ever wonder why people bring up social media platforms having too much power. See the reason is because they do not give a flying fuck about ethics..... Like banks, real estate ventures, and every other entity once they realize they're making big money. Laws here only apply to poor people here.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
ooh man

wait till you hear about another one called facebook

You ever wonder why people bring up social media platforms having too much power. See the reason is because they do not give a flying fuck about ethics..... Like banks, real estate ventures, and every other entity once they realize they're making big money. Laws here only apply to poor people.
Its an easy thing to solve though, without actually solving the problem; stop using those platforms. Or use them, but don't put sensitive information on them.

I don't have Facebook or Twitter* accounts for this reason.

Obviously not the correct answer, but for those concerned, it can be easily avoided.

*ok I lied, I do have a twitter account. But I only tweeted when I took a dump, which seems fitting for twitter - https://twitter.com/getthestinkout

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Its an easy thing to solve though, without actually solving the problem; stop using those platforms. Or use them, but don't put sensitive information on them.
Yeah that's great and all but that doesn't change what twitter already is and what's already on their servers. There's nothing comparable that has the reach of one of those big platforms. So if your goal is to get information out (about an event/tragedy/investigative reporting updates/emergency), as far as literally globally, it's been by far the best way to do it, going back 12 years or so. So it got populated with valuable information. You deleting your personal account doesn't change that.

I don't even have a twitter account, but it's far too shortsighted to simply view its significance exclusively in terms of my personal interaction with it. I'm not kidding about major news organizations using it as primary source material. It has become THE primary source material in many cases, and for a reason. Look at any of the links in the WW2 thread. So-called news orgs literally just post or regurgitate tweets in half their articles.

You have to deal with what it is, not what it should be just for you, personally. And some megalomaniac with a history of petty beefs taking the helm is a problem. We almost had our capital building turn into a hostage situation because of facebook. This has the potential to be the next version, with elon christ in control of what gets reported.

So I'll say it again: all the conversations that have already happened with journalists, in private, are now accessible to an insecure dickhead with a habit of attacking people who publicly doubt him. This includes people in vunerable situations who have reached out to journalists via DMs because it's the easiest way to find them. That's bad.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
No twitter, tiktok, snapchat, instagram, telegram or anything else
Facebook used mostly for bike stuff and a bit of audio and is under a pseudonym.

Here, Empty Beer and an audio site is my social media presence with here being 90% of my activity.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Maybe they'll re-activate my blocked account now (blocked based on bogus accusation of impersonating myself by some asshole). Good luck getting any due process when twitter decides you're persona non grata.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout