Quantcast

Rise…And Shine…And Give Dog Your Mornin’ Glory

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Currently looking for a non-chinese made stainless moka pot. Kind of crazy how hard they are to find and/or confirm manufacture location.
there's a wirecutter review of moka pots specifically. They like the Bialetti. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/bialetti-moka-pot-review/?searchResultPosition=1
I thought my NYT subscription covered me for the wirecutter, but it seems to be behind a paywall now that isn't included in my subscription anymore.

IIRC, they compare it to the one you linked to.

I've often thought about getting an espresso maker, maybe this year.

Edit. I'm usually good for 2-3 cups a day. Is there a quality option that brews, and makes espresso?
similarly, the Wirecutter has an article about why trying to make good espresso at home is "a bit of a nightmare" (I prefer to think of it as a rabbit hole!) https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/making-espresso-at-home/

You won't get anything that's "café quality" without dropping at least $2k on a machine and $500 on a grinder. So if that's not your thing, you either have to adjust your expectations, be ok with what comes from a decent machine, or find another method of brewing that renders equally tasty coffee (Moka, pour-over, etc etc etc). That's imho anyways...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
You can spend a lot less on a machine and still get good quality. Fwiw my gaggia classic was less than my espresso grinder.
undoubtedly. it's just not quite the same as a café. I also suppose that really depends on your café.

With my setup, I'm really able to explore the finer taste differences of various coffees. Beyond the grind, I can adjust brew temp and brew pressure. It allows me to focus on the different taste characteristics of the bean. (like I said, it's a rabbits hole!). But I enjoy that process. I'm also generally disappointed when I go out to cafés nowadays. There's really only one in my town (that I know of) that curates the beans and plays around with the flavor profiles.

ymmv of course, it really depends on what you're after.

(I feel like we've had this conversation before too!)

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Jeebus. Rabbit-hole for sure! Thanks for the input, but you guys are a special breed, which is why I asked here I guess...

I was just looking to replace my daily driver so to speak. A buddy of mine happens to have a good condition Made in Italy, SS Bialetti that he is willing to trade for wine. That should hold me over for the next 20 years or so.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
undoubtedly. it's just not quite the same as a café. I also suppose that really depends on your café.

With my setup, I'm really able to explore the finer taste differences of various coffees. Beyond the grind, I can adjust brew temp and brew pressure. It allows me to focus on the different taste characteristics of the bean. (like I said, it's a rabbits hole!). But I enjoy that process. I'm also generally disappointed when I go out to cafés nowadays. There's really only one in my town (that I know of) that curates the beans and plays around with the flavor profiles.

ymmv of course, it really depends on what you're after.

(I feel like we've had this conversation before too!)
we definitely have. my point is more to the effect that you don't have to sink a ton of money into equipment right off the bat if you are just learning. money would probably be better spent on some basic barista training rather than a monocle tier espresso machine.