Quantcast

risse champ rebuild

e_zik69

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
i recently started p1ssing oil out of one of the legs on my champ and was wondering how hard it is to replace the seals or if i should send it back to the factory to get work done.

thanx for the help if any

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I didn't even know Risse made forks. But if they are like anyone elses, its not too hard to do on your own. The basics are, buty new seals, take the fork apart so you can access the sliders alone, pry out the old seals and reinstall the new ones taking care not to damage the new ones. Usually you need a press of some sort. Often a hunk 'o' pipe or a shimano bb fixed cup flange will fit ok.

If you are a hamm-fisted mechanic, meaning you use hammers and screw-drivers as your main tools, then I'd yank off the legs and send them back to Risse.
But if you have some finesse and have some wrenching knowedge, then you should be able to do it.
First off by going to the Risse Website and downloading thier info on the Champ. Oil height and weight need to be marked before tearing into it.
First you'd crack open the top using a 43mm wrench/fricken huge cresent wrench. Turn the leg upside down and pour out the oil.
Then flip them back around and unscrew the aluminum "knuckles" that house the bearing and oil seal.
It'll take some force to get to old seal out. You gotta make sure you don't damage the outter portion of the knuckle whne you are prying the old seal out. DO NOT scratch the inner diameter seat of the seal where it contact the inside of the knuckle!
Then once you've got the old one outgrease up and press in the new one.