Quantcast

RM, critique my n00b self-portraits....

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
so, inspired by a fischer picture.... yesterday i started taking self portraits (using a flower holder as a tripod) while playing chess with my dad while we burnt time waiting for the turkey...

most untouched (a couple cropped), taken with a sony DSC-W55

critique? tips to improve???? which ones came out best?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I like the emotion you're trying to capture, but technically, need some improvement. Instead of contrasty, they look washed out. Also need to be careful of light reflection.

I'm not a real photographer -- I only use a simple digital camera and repair photos as needed in photoshop -- so I can't tell you how to fix them on the front end, sorry.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
needs better lighting on you, and better backgrounds. uh, like that fischer picture :D

splat

Nam I am
as Toshi said , needs better lighting , also needs to be a little higher andto one side , so you can actuallty makes out where the pieces are on chess board. From those views I can't tell if ther ehave actually been any moves. ( which would make it alittle comical if you are thinking that hard on an opening move.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
as Toshi said , needs better lighting , also needs to be a little higher andto one side , so you can actuallty makes out where the pieces are on chess board. From those views I can't tell if ther ehave actually been any moves. ( which would make it alittle comical if you are thinking that hard on an opening move.
I think he's trying to duplicate the Fisher scene which has two moves played.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
needs better lighting on you, and better backgrounds. uh, like that fischer picture :D
well, the pictures were taken at night... under 6 40w lamps, drapes closed.
the backgrounds are the 2 ends of the dining room., the other 2 possible backgrounds could be drapes, or open drapes with a patio on the back.. or a white wall with 3 small paintings. besides my dining table (with or sans tablecloth), what else could make a good scenario?

i guess they could be taken during the day.... with the drapes (on one side) open.. they let in a crapload of light which could incrase the light/shadow. i love that fischer picture, love the contrast, i guess natural light from the side (huge 18ft*7ft window) could do the lightining trick.

how about the lightinig? more on the board? on me? on the side?
\thanks

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you don't have to shoot it in your living room, ya know. get more lamps... look at the lighting on fischer: from the side, bright, dramatic. look at the background: simple, just people, no distracting flash reflections, christmas trees, etc.

here's my attempt at a dramatic-ish photo. although the dude is asian, it's not me :D but instead an undergrad buddy.