Quantcast

RM Newsletter

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I am considering starting a monthly newsletter here.

I'm thinking it would include:

- 1 miscellaneous creative MTB article
- 1 featured ride report
- big race finish spots
- upcoming industry events
- miscellaneous industry news
- a specials section featuring online retailers

The creative article would be user-submitted.

Is this something that would appeal to you to read? Would you like to write an article? General thoughts?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Would it be part of the site, or distributed via e-mail?

If it was emailed, I doubt I'd read it. I have a tendancy to put e-mail like this (of interest, but not high priority) in a folder that rarely gets looked at. If it was posted here, I'd likely read it when surfing the :monkey: on bored time.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
"big race finisg spots"

so if I raced two of my buddy's on a loop of our local trails, it wouldnt make the cut?

ps: sounds cool, I'd read it. My vote =email it & post it

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Too bad it wouldn't be easier to get results from racing monkies. Would be cool to have a section in the newletter for monkies who are first time racers or found a spot on the podium.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
jacksonpt said:
Too bad it wouldn't be easier to get results from racing monkies. Would be cool to have a section in the newletter for monkies who are first time racers or found a spot on the podium.
:stupid:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Maybe email and post it on the main page?

I am actually more likely to read something like that in my email.

I would certainly read it.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The newsletter would be emailed (opt-in/out), and would also be available on the site as a page and as a PDF.

You know....it would be way cooler to have RM member finishing places. Change of plans, members can submit their finishing spots (with a link to corroborating evidence) and I'll just list member finishing spots.

J

JRB

I would read it, and I would try to be as creative as possible to help with articles. I would also be willing to create a template to use for someone to do a real world review on a bike or a specific part each month. I think it's a great idea. I would email it to the folks that I have on the local club's email list.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
sounds like a cool idea. Anything bike related to distract me from work. Especially, ride reports. I :love: the ride reports forum.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
DRB said:
I'd read it and appreciate the effort but for the time you would put into getting it together, I'm not sure that it would be worth it.
:stupid:

Unless it was called Flingin Poo and I designed it.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
if it was emailed, we could forward it to our non RM friends, I have local to me maybe 40, 50 riders emails that I would forward it to.

Just might end up being the the BEST way to promote RM !!

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
douglas said:
if it was emailed, we could forward it to our non RM friends, I have local to me maybe 40, 50 riders emails that I would forward it to.

Now we're talking! :thumb:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:

I didn't think about that.

I could post it/forward it to some of the locals around here as well.

RM - do we get a finder's fee if we get people to sign up with RM?

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
jacksonpt said:
I didn't think about that.

I could post it/forward it to some of the locals around here as well.

RM - do we get a finder's fee if we get people to sign up with RM?
1.6 green rep points.

J

JRB

douglas said:

Man - didn't I say the thing??? :nonono:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
stinkyboy said:

If a bunch of people email each other about local bike rides, new bikes, ride reports, race reports, personal bikes for sale, who broke themselves, etc .. would a RM newletter be spam? I think not.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
douglas said:
If a bunch of people email each other about local bike rides, new bikes, ride reports, race reports, personal bikes for sale, who broke themselves, etc .. would a RM newletter be spam? I think not.
If I didn't ask for an email from a company, I don't want it. I'm all for promoting MTB and RM, but I get enough crap in my inboxes as it is. I'm just sayin...

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
If I didn't ask for an email from a company, I don't want it. I'm all for promoting MTB and RM, but I get enough crap in my inboxes as it is. I'm just sayin...
You are SOOOOO popular.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to stinkyboy again.

btw - your rep is pretty much worthless. 5 points for neg. :nonono:

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
stinkyboy said:
Right, but it wouldn't be coming from RM it'd be coming from a friend who forwarded it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Ridemonkey said:
Right, but it wouldn't be coming from RM it'd be coming from a friend who forwarded it.
I think his point is that it's unsolicited, regardless of who it comes from. Granted, stuff from friends that you get because there is [percieved] genuine intrest in the material is generally less spam-ish... it's still unsolicited.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
jacksonpt said:
I think his point is that it's unsolicited, regardless of who it comes from.
Exactly.

I look forward to Flingin Poo, but look at all facets to make sure it's beneficial.

How will this news be better than an internet search?

Inconsistent image quality from ride reports.

How the hell can I come up with something for the whole family?

Contributing monkeys getting butt hurt when their stuff isn't published.

Do I have time to edit and design?

Why aren't I out drinking/riding?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
stinkyboy said:
Exactly.

I look forward to Flingin Poo, but look at all facets to make sure it's beneficial.

How will this news be better than an internet search?

Inconsistent image quality from ride reports.

How the hell can I come up with something for the whole family?

Contributing monkeys getting butt hurt when their stuff isn't published.

Do I have time to edit and design?

Why aren't I out drinking/riding?
you think too much, its just 1 freakin email out of the maybe 10 to 200 they would get that paticular day

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
I like the idea, I'd be willing to contribute, and foward it to locals to get them interested in RM. I say e-mail and post a printable version, if it's of high enough quality I can print it out and post it in my shop.