Quantcast

RM ranked #1134 biggest Message Board...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MTBR ranks 823 and Pinkbike ranks 700.

RM, you're slackin' ;)

Too bad the historical posts aren't retained... Sometimes I'd like to see some of the really old stuff.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
binary visions said:
MTBR ranks 823 and Pinkbike ranks 700.

RM, you're slackin' ;)

Too bad the historical posts aren't retained... Sometimes I'd like to see some of the really old stuff.

They are now. I never understand how Pinkbike manages to rank so well. MTBR has had millions in venture capital, is a big company, and at any given time has thousands of users on their message boards. Yet on sites like Alexa and this big board thing, Pinkbike always ranks a little higher. Fishy.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
That site is blocked at work. Is pebiking.com on there? How about nsfreeriders.com?
Blocked at work, eh?

Must have been all of those times that you visited "big-broads.com" :D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I can't believe some of you guys haven't said that it isn't the size that matters, it's the quality. :rolleyes:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Heidi said:
I can't believe some of you guys haven't said that it isn't the size that matters, it's the quality. :rolleyes:
Yeah, guys with little web boards will always say that.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
BikeGeek said:
BWAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA!!!! :thumb:

So, do you typically wash your jerseys before wearing them the first time? Just wondering. :devil:
hehehehe, actually no, but this time I will!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Ridemonkey said:
They are now. I never understand how Pinkbike manages to rank so well. MTBR has had millions in venture capital, is a big company, and at any given time has thousands of users on their message boards. Yet on sites like Alexa and this big board thing, Pinkbike always ranks a little higher. Fishy.
nothing fishy about it - Pinkibike generate more traffic that you might think. Heck, Radek had to stop doing logs because files were about 15 gigs per WEEK and it took LONGER for the analyzer to parse the files than it took to collect the next stats.

People like to bag on Pinkbike - but it's like the Howard Stern show, they keep coming back for more.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Acadian said:
nothing fishy about it - Pinkibike generate more traffic that you might think. Heck, Radek had to stop doing logs because files were about 15 gigs per WEEK and it took LONGER for the analyzer to parse the files than it took to collect the next stats.

People like to bag on Pinkbike - but it's like the Howard Stern show, they keep coming back for more.
Who let the n00b in? We don't listen to people with less than 10 posts. :rolleyes:

:nuts:

;)

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Acadian said:
That's not hard to believe, but thats a drop in the bucket compared to the kind of traffic MTBR gets.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Ridemonkey said:
That's not hard to believe, but thats a drop in the bucket compared to the kind of traffic MTBR gets.
I used to go to MTBR quite a bit a few years ago (before I realized their reviews were biased crap). I never used the forums, I just looked at the reviews. People like that could have something to do with it.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Echo said:
I used to go to MTBR quite a bit a few years ago (before I realized their reviews were biased crap). I never used the forums, I just looked at the reviews. People like that could have something to do with it.
Right. So if MTBR has 3000 people on the forums, imagine how many more are checking out the reviews at any given time.

J

JRB

Ridemonkey said:
Too bad I have deleted over a million posts over time. I wonder where that would have placed the site.
You're #1 if you count what echo has deleted. :think:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Ridemonkey said:
you would be surprised Aaron - I don't want to talk about it here, but if you want to know more, PM me.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Acadian said:
It only took a few visits for me to swear off PB about three years ago. Lamey-lame-o-lamesville, that site is.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Can't be overly accurate. mtbr doesn't seem that big when you look at the numbers. nsmb.com is downright pathetic in the stats, and bikeforums.net isn't listed (with almost 1 million posts)...

J

JRB

Ridemonkey said:
Did you try clicking on any of the links on that page Genius?
Poor H8R. I think he needs to go to the other forum for some love. :think:

hahaha

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ridemonkey said:
Did you try clicking on any of the links on that page Genius?
I know...

And that's MR. F***in' Genius to you, buddy boy.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Andyman_1970 said:
The other message board I frequent - Christianforums - is 16th...........
What do they talk about there, how flexy the bible is?

:think:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
H8R said:
Hey RM, maybe you can go back to when the site was very small and retreive all the purged posts to up your ranking.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010720080538/http://www.ridemonkey.com/

I am sooo smart. Like a rock.

Nevermind, no posts in there....
funny to see some old names i don't recognize. and what happened to the paragliding forum?

Shox has one post on the current version of the board.
Get Up, Kid has 5
muddywolf has 116 (last one on Sept 07, 01)
scotty has 300 (last one on Apr 22, 04)
helltaco disappeared on Jun 08, 02
buttychunkster came out of the woodwork for the QTSA thread last week
hoaxci5 was last spotted Aug 22, 01
edit - carbonguy made an appearance May 20, 03

Jojo and Spincrazy seem to the be only people shown in that particular snapshot who are still at least semi-active w/ this incarnation of RM.

funny how the board evolves.

question - how did the mods become mods? seems like an influx of people at about the same time of joining? who's the most recently anointed mod?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
question - how did the mods become mods? seems like an influx of people at about the same time of joining? who's the most recently anointed mod?
Most mods become so by A) There being a need, and B) Recommendations from other mods. Echo is the latest, recommended by me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well we all know stosh's greatest desire in life is to become a mod, but was there a large bolus of mods when you, MBC, -bb-, etc joined? was RM the sole mod, or where the others on the old board version who slinked away under cover of darkness, never to return?