Quantcast

rm7 vs. bullit

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
Jm_ said:
Or, that's why not many people ride them compared to bullit riders.

It's not about making the design beefy. It's like the 1.5 headtube issue, if you have a 1.125, you can make it ultra-beefy and still not get the ovalization resistance of 1.5, same with leverage. You can keep making the linkages beefy, but it doesn't change the fact that it's over leveraged and the other parts like the bearings and mounts also see the rediculous stress.

Another reason for that is also the RM7 costs alot more than the Bullit, most people will get something more common for the RM7 price instead of standing out alittle and dealing with more maintenance. I see it like owning a german car, you like to stand out alittle but you've got to take care of it more than you would an american vehicle.
Anywho.... I can only talk about the RM7, I'm sure the Bullit is nice as SC makes awesome products but like I said before the 7 never gave me any problems and I'm gonna miss it when its gone.

I'm not biased either!! Just picked up a VP-Free frame tonight!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the bullit pedals well? i own a bullit and i dont really think that is true... pedaling over any bumps makes the rear wheel skip and everything gets a bit skechy...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
dhkid said:
the bullit pedals well? i own a bullit and i dont really think that is true... pedaling over any bumps makes the rear wheel skip and everything gets a bit skechy...

It pedals well with a TUNED 5th element.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
I've owned both bikes and would have to say go with the bullit, assuming you already have tune it right or posses the patience and ability to fine tune (i mean REALLY fine tune it) for your weigth and ridnig style. I think the RMs have a more progressive linkage rate and hence are easier to set up and just feel better from the get go, and I almost hated my bullit at first when I got it, but as I've fnially been able to fine tune it I'm liking it a lot more than the RM7 I used to have...

Christian -

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What didn't you like about the rm7?

Shortbus said:
I've owned both bikes and would have to say go with the bullit, assuming you already have tune it right or posses the patience and ability to fine tune (i mean REALLY fine tune it) for your weigth and ridnig style. I think the RMs have a more progressive linkage rate and hence are easier to set up and just feel better from the get go, and I almost hated my bullit at first when I got it, but as I've fnially been able to fine tune it I'm liking it a lot more than the RM7 I used to have...

Christian -

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
bullcrew said:
It really sounds like you have your mind made up, and you're just looking for social support.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Well, social support and opinions in general on which bike to go for are quite significant when trying to decide..... I mean...isnt that one of the reasons why we have this kind of forum anyway ?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
seismic said:
Well, social support and opinions in general on which bike to go for are quite significant when trying to decide..... I mean...isnt that one of the reasons why we have this kind of forum anyway ?
Kind of, but my opinion is widely supported in this fact from other's experience.

I have direct experience with RM6s, RM7s and RM9s. Generally I prefer linkage driven bikes, for reasons such as "progressiveness" and lateral stiffness,(rather than swingarm-post designs like the bullit) but in this case the negatives of the RM series are great enough that I wouldn't recommend them over a bullit. The bullit will probably give him a lot longer period of time with no problems, whereas the RM7 linkage will start developing play, mounting holes ovalize, bearings fail, shock blow out, and the swingarm on that particular linkage-driven single pivot bike isn't especially stiff either. But what do I know, I've only witnessed these problems in person, and I'm just a caveman lawyer.

mazzino

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
Seattle, WA
I have an 03 RM7. The bike handles very well and is fun to ride. But you'll probably experience some of the problems Jm describes in the post above. I went thru 2 shocks before buying an Avalanche and the linkage cartrige bearings do not last long. They are simply not strong enough to withstand the force of the linkage and play will develop as they wear. This is when I think all goes to hell if you don't take care of it and replace the bearings. Make sure to stay on top of the linkage bolts too. On the plus side, the handling and stability are great, and the rear suspension feels fantastic with the Avalanche.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
6 feet to flat is not huge but under 205 lbs you will have more problems with the RM7. If you don't mind periodic maintenance and the cost of replacing parts (don't count on much warranty love), then it really comes down to which bike feels better to you. Build both and give each a fair chance before you figure out which one you want for the long haul. There is no substitute for your own impressions.

And personally I would completely ignore any inclination to get the RM7 just because it is more rare, that is stupid in my opinion. There are a lot of bullits around because they are great bikes.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
OGRipper said:
(don't count on much warranty love)

Why do you say that? I have had nothing but good relations with Rocky Mountain. They are quality bikes with quality service. Kevin (the East Coast Rep) is a great guy to deal with, even if its through a shop

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
bullcrew said:
I didnt dislike the Rm7. I've also owned an RM6 and a RM9, and think all are really great feeling bikes, but all developped the normal slop in the linkages and I really don't ride hard at all mind you. The other thing I noticed is the RM7 in particular has the shock body hitting the arch it mouts to on suspension bottom out. For a frame at that price range one would definitely expect a little more attention to detail. That attention to detail is litterally FLAWLESS on the bullit. I honestly expected something a grade down from a RM7 when I got my bullit but I was very pleasantly surprised. The bullit also feels latterally stiffer than the RM7, and is so much simpler to maintain. But again you won't get the linkage suspension feel on a bullit that the RMs have, but that can be somewhat addressed in proper shock setup. If you have a good shock on your bullit you can mend the linear rate problem by setting up the shock to be progressive, hence the progressive feel without the headaches of linkages.

But I def. give high kudos to both frames. I loved them both but would push a tad more for the bullit because simplicity = good, and the bullit rides amazingly considering its simplicity - when properly setup.