Quantcast

rmb switch sl upgrade help

Aug 20, 2008
hey guys, i have an 05 rmb swich sl, and i want to upgrade the drivetrain a bit. currents specs are:

Shifters SRAM 7.0 Triggers
Derailleurs (RR/FR) SRAM 9.0 / Shimano LX
Cranks & Chainrings RaceFace Evolve XC X-Type
Bottom Bracket RaceFace Evolve X-Type
Cog-Set SRAM 970
Chain SRAM PC59

what i want to do is get a single or double chain ring up front with a bash gaurd and chain guide. i also want to upgrade the derailleurs, cassette, and chain. what are disadvantages/advantages of having a single chain ring? im leaning towards an e thirteen guide, but i dont know much about this stuff. also, do i need a chain tensioner? tia, im a newb to drivetrain stuff. also, im not looking to add too much weight and price isnt too much of an issue, i want quality parts but i dont wanna go broke at the same time.:biggrin:

darenp

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
If you want to change to a single up front the get a e13 SRS and if you want to keep it a double up front then a DRS. If you want to keep it a double up front you could also get a Blackspire Stinger which is only $30. The advantage of having a single up front is you never have to worry about dropping the chain. But if you have any long climbs then I would say keep a double up front and get the DRS or Stinger. For shifters you could change those to X9 or X0. For the Rear same thing change to a X0 or keep the X9 which works.

Aug 20, 2008
cool!thanks darenp. i think im going with a single up front and upgrading my bb and crankset to a race face x-type, will this work with the e thirteen guide?

Aug 20, 2008
i was also thinkiong about going shimano saint for the crankset and rear mech. adavantages/ disadvantages? will they work with my existing parts?

darenp

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
The cranks shouldn't be a problem. If you switch to the saint for the rear mech you should also have to get a new rear shifter. Also the rear mech should work with the rear cogs. But not to sure since I have all Sram for the drivetrain. Sorry not to much help on that question.