Quantcast

RMX vs. Bullit vs. RM7 vs. VPfree; need help!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Alright here is the dilema, I have an rm7 and a bullit now both of wich are in perfect condition and ride awesome with total confidence and both have avy's so the ears perform flawless for me.

I am looking at a new frame, either a vpfree and I'll sell the bullit
or
rmx and sell the rm7.

I know the bearing problem with the rmx's and I'm fine with it, it doesn't bother me at all. so not an issue.
What I'm ooking for is dh/urban/fr and just all around hucking.

I love the way the rm7 lands and the bullit is easier to manual.

Need your experience based on riding them and not he said she said stuff.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
get a vp free, sell the bullit while you still can, because i think their coming out with a bullit all new for 07, and no one will want the old bullit anmore. This is one reason, two is because the VP-free with the VPP allows it to be a fine pedaler while tracking, from what i heard a lot better then a bullit.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
I'd say keep the RM7 for a hucking bike, especially because you like the way it lands. They sell the bullit and buy a VPfree with a fairly light build. This will give you a better DH bike that can be pedalled (the RMX is heavy as sh!t and has no platform). That should work out just fine.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
dont listen to him(adam novatt), everyone will keep the bullits and youll still beable to sell it in the future. however since you have two single pivots and if you care about pedaling ability (wich it seems you dont) go for the vp. my friend has an rmx its a good fr bike but the bearings are a pita. the upside of the rmx is that it doesnt have as many cracking problems as the rm7, but still have the same overall feel

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
DUde mxer338 i told him the same thing, and that is to go for the VP-Free. I think just like you that two single pivot bikes is enouph and that he will liek the change to the VPP system.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Is it just me, or is a small crew of loud-mouthed 15 year olds from santa-barbara entirely responsible for the recent degradation in this site's usefulness?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
Is it just me, or is a small crew of loud-mouthed 15 year olds from santa-barbara entirely responsible for the recent degradation in this site's usefulness?
it's not just you. it's getting kind of old.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
hey im getting very anoyed with the fact that a few of you are saying the SBer's like my self are distroying RM. Well im looking for you facts. For the last couple of months i have done nothing but give advise. sure some of my advise have misspelling, but they have not been imposible to read. Also those few that are starting threads for their adivse care more about info then spelling, and that is is you who come in to threads saying SB kids this, SB kids that, well it is not us and definetly not me who is doing anyting. It is you few that destroy the threads with this of topic garbage. So shut your pie holes ride and stop talking **** from your ass.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
sorry for my useless rant in the beginning of my post. again sorry if you dont like e-speculation but ive heard bullit is going to stay single piv. but will have a lnk, sorta like a asx.. all i know for sure is that its staying single pivot.

to your racing question, the vp is very capable of racing it just depends what sort of geo you like. i have ridden a friends and both him and i feel the riding position is more "upright" def. more of a freeride feeling bike, but its more than capable of racing.

hope this offer some help

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
bullcrew said:
People, let's not hijack my thread and work together to post the pro's and con's of both.
I would like a frame that can be raced as well as ride a FR.
You need to define what you mean by FR. Do you mean it needs to take drops to flat and not break? Do you mean it needs to be able to climb? Do you mean in needs to have a steep head angle so it handles well at slow speeds on skinnies?

What do you mean by race? Does it need to be light? Does it need to maintain stability at high speeds?

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Im rockin an RMX and it is a great bike. It hucks very well and it a fast bike in any situation. Neither the RMX or vpfree is gonna be your ideal race bike, I would say they are on par with each other in that regards, however both the RMX and the vpfree will out perform the rm7 and bullit. The bullit is a fine bike, and it always will be. The rm7 is not something I would want to have any effort or money invested in. I used to run an rm7 and the RMX is much more capable. The RMX is a heavy frame, so if your looking for light youll save around 2 lbs by going with the vpfree.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
You need to define what you mean by FR. Do you mean it needs to take drops to flat and not break? Do you mean it needs to be able to climb? Do you mean in needs to have a steep head angle so it handles well at slow speeds on skinnies?

What do you mean by race? Does it need to be light? Does it need to maintain stability at high speeds?
I want to be able to drop to flat and tansitions. Do n. shore style riding along with high speed steeps and the occasional skinnies.
Mostly stair gaps and hucks, and the occasional resort whistler, schweitzer, Tamarack etc,,

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK so aside of wha I've posted what would be an ideal all around dh/fr frame.
Build is avy
bxxr wc
deemax rims
king hubs
hope m4 brakes
thomson post stem
king headset
e-13
x.9
+ other items already on my bikes, all is high end and light. So frame is only questionable item I need.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
jake133 said:
keep the bullit !
Yeah your signature says it all. :D
I love my bullit the thing rocks.
But I have 1 comlete build top notch and another 3/4 build thats on parr for another sweet spec.
But the conflict comes in to just putting this onto a new frame.
Test the waters and see if there's another frame out there that feels better than mine to me.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Mattoid said:
Im rockin an RMX and it is a great bike. It hucks very well and it a fast bike in any situation. Neither the RMX or vpfree is gonna be your ideal race bike, I would say they are on par with each other in that regards, however both the RMX and the vpfree will out perform the rm7 and bullit. The bullit is a fine bike, and it always will be. The rm7 is not something I would want to have any effort or money invested in. I used to run an rm7 and the RMX is much more capable. The RMX is a heavy frame, so if your looking for light youll save around 2 lbs by going with the vpfree.
Looked at the pics, ya got skills! :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've been beating on my vp-free since they were first available and other than annual bearing replacement it has been very solid for me. (I'm 200 lbs, not kind to bikes, and even though I was a wrench for many years I think I'm allergic to maintenance.) It is very versatile and can be setup lots of different ways. I've raced mine, it wants to get off the ground more than a pure DH bike, but that's one reason why it's so good for park riding, freeride, etc., and one reason I like mine so much. It is not light but it is built for abuse. And FWIW, from what I've heard the new bullit will not be vpp and won't be here anytime soon.