RNC demands networks yank McCain ad

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
video of advertisement.

RNC demands networks yank McCain ad
Mon Apr 28, 7:10 PM ET
The Republican National Committee demanded Monday that television networks stop running a television ad by the Democratic Party that falsely suggests John McCain wants a 100-year war in Iraq.

The ad says President Bush has talked about staying in Iraq for 50 years, then plays a clip of McCain saying, "Maybe 100. That'd be fine with me."

The announcer then says: "If all he offers is more of the same, is John McCain the right choice for America's future?"

Republican National Committee Chairman Mike Duncan said the ad deliberately distorts what McCain, the likely GOP presidential nominee, said.

The committee's chief counsel, Sean Cairncross, said he sent letters Monday to NBC, CNN and MSNBC insisting that they stop airing the commercial.

At issue is McCain's answer, in January, to a question about Bush's theory that troops could be in Iraq for 50 years.

McCain said: "Maybe 100. As long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed, that'd be fine with me, and I hope it would be fine with you, if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world where al-Qaida is training, recruiting, equipping and motivating people every single day."

Democratic Party chief Howard Dean said "there's nothing false" about the ad.

"We deliberately used John McCain's words. This isn't some ominous consultant's voice from Washington. This is John McCain's own words. And we've been very upfront about everything that he's said."
Is the ad really that unfair to McCain? Is it that unrepresentative?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb bomb Iran.....remember that?

Unfair? I think not.
Exactly.

While the ad implies that McCain would be okay with 100 years of war despite NOT saying that at all... well, he would, yeah? He'd fight until the war was won, correct?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I truly think that he will SAY that to bolster his image to the hard right of the party to keep that section happy until after the election. I think in his heart and mind, he knows that this is just another Vietnam and we will eventually try to find the most graceful of exits with the least amount of collateral damage.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
if it's so mischaracterized then the RNC knows what they need to do: reach down hillary's pantsuit & reclaim their yams

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I am more worried about who McCain would pick for VP. McCain is fvcking OLD. I don't think he'll last a single term.

"100 more years in Iraq would be fine by me - I probably won't live to see 98 of em."

MountainDrew

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
If McCain were to win at the age of 71, he would be the oldest president in US history, followed by Reagan who was 69.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am more worried about who McCain would pick for VP. McCain is fvcking OLD. I don't think he'll last a single term.

"100 more years in Iraq would be fine by me - I probably won't live to see 98 of em."
Cheney, Quayle, and Bush. How bad could be McCain's running mate?