Quantcast

Road bike appreciation thread

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'll admit to having made fun of spandex-clad, weight-obsessed roadies in the past. Today I took my first real ride on my new roadie and, damn, I'm eating my words.

It was great and my legs felt so powerful and in control. Mountain biking is wonderful, but it's a different kind of high. Most of the times it's a, "I just flirted with my own death and it rocked," kind of feeling. This is just a pure appreciation of what the body is capable of (which is definitely felt when mountain biking too, but even moreso here).

I know this is preaching to the choir, but I wanted to share my initial thoughts on the ride, as I enjoyed it much more than I ever thought. I'm glad I didn't just jump from a hardtail to a dualie and not see that there were spaces with other, exciting kinds of riding in between.

What's next? A century maybe? :think: hmm...sounds pretty good... in a couple of years :)

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
bluebug32 said:
Most of the times it's a, "I just flirted with my own death and it rocked," kind of feeling.
You get this feeling on the road bike as well. It is usually when you get passed by a car/truck going way faster than you.....and they get a little too close.

I think we have all been there.

mtnbikej

proanti1

Chimp
Sep 24, 2005
i just got a mountain bike and i havent been on a bmx since, but the owner of the little shop i work in just got a fixxie, those things are sweet, i like how you can slow it down with your legs. they are also really really light.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Welcome! Now, go shave those legs.:blah:
She does. In the shower at 8 AM.

I too recently took my first rides on a Roadie. Since I'm stuck in Seneca Falls, there aren't much in the way of trails, so I have to use a road machine to get my kicks.

I do enjoy it. I wish I had some dirt, but I can wait for the weekends to travel and find some. During the week it's a rush to pass cars on the side streets and speed across Rt. 89 trying to play chicken with a tractor trailer.

Ahh...I don't care for the bugs in my teeth though...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I was in the same boat as you earlier this summer. I hate to say it (mostly because my mtb cost me $3700 and my roadie cost $1400), but I think I'm starting to enjoy road riding more than trail riding...

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
jacksonpt said:
I was in the same boat as you earlier this summer. I hate to say it (mostly because my mtb cost me $3700 and my roadie cost $1400), but I think I'm starting to enjoy road riding more than trail riding...
I can definitely see where that thrill comes from. It's all about the speed I think and competing with cars.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I just went out on my mountain bike after having done mainly road stuff for a couple of weeks. It's a friggin' tank! And this is my hard tail. Haha...beefy to the max. I must admit that my mind wandered to dreams of carbon :think:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I dunno, almost being splatted by large metal gas powered objects and being attacked by irate drivers keeps it interesting. :dead:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
DBR X6 RIDER said:
I've been spending far more time on my road bike lately than my dually. Every time I do get on the dually, it feels as if I've got two flat tires.:confused:

haha...yeah, I know the feeling. Even when I'm on my hardtail I keep thinking that I should be putting more air in my tires. and before I got my roadie, I was wondering why this bike felt so stiff!

Well, I just cracked 600 miles on my roadie. I'm training for the El Tour de Tucson century in November and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. For me, it's so much more about getting in my head and finding out what my body is capable of. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my DH bike and that will be my focus after the century ride, but damn it's so much easier to just roll out of the front door and go ride 30-50 miles. Let's not even get started about how much faster you can go from an average MPH standpoint.... ;)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ah, don't care, but i was wondering why you jumped on me for teasing her in the PM box thread. Your defense mechanism kicked in. That's soooo cute.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Pau11y said:
Wow, met on the monkey...
Too bad there aren't any Denver chicky monkies I can hookup w/ and get some sugar from :D
If there are, I think LO is hoarding them :P
We actually met freshman year of college. Hooked up senior year. Joined RM shortly thereafter.

Didn't really meet on RM, unfortunately.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Pau11y said:
Wow, met on the monkey...
Too bad there aren't any Denver chicky monkies I can hookup w/ and get some sugar from :D
If there are, I think LO is hoarding them :P
I have a female cousin in Denver, but she's a whore. Despite the fact that she's like the town bicycle, I don't think she actually rides inanimate objects ;) Sorry!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
The clap I can handle... some sheep shears and a little gasoline...
...is she hawt tho...that's the $10.00 question :D
C'mon Blue, HOOK IT UP for a (monkey) bratha!

She does need to have a pulse and not crack mirrors w/ her looks - my only limitations.