Quantcast

road bike size...

J

JRB

With a standard frame config, I would say you would want a 57 - 58 cm top tube. Just guessing though. There's no real way to say on the Internet.

J

JRB

Go by top tube measurements. I would use that to guage. I ride a little shorter top tube on the roadie with a little longer stem than I do for XC. You will be ok for shorter distances anyway. It's the long rides when ill fitted bikes really kill you.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
loco said:
Go by top tube measurements. I would use that to guage. I ride a little shorter top tube on the roadie with a little longer stem than I do for XC. You will be ok for shorter distances anyway. It's the long rides when ill fitted bikes really kill you.
I know, its been so long since I awned a road bike... I've been itching to find a good 80's steel frame/fork and build it up with more modern components. I have a buddy that is doing that with an old Bridgestone, inspired me. I'm e-bay hunting. I want to find one that is in fair condition but needs work, maybe pick it up for under $150.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
dante said:
go to a bike shop and get sized. if you're buying from a shop they'll usually throw it in for free, otherwise it will be the best $100 you'll spend on road cycling...
Haha, if my LBS charged me $100 (or anything for that matter) for a fitting I'd probably strangle the owner. I've spent a small fortune there.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you don't measure yourself properly and you spend more than $500 on a bike, you'll probably kick yourself later for a potentially stupid mistake.

That said, if you just want a cheap bike, go slightly smaller than you think. It's easier to fix that mistake than a bike slightly too large.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Wumpus said:
Remember that modern rear hub spacing is 130mm.

Look at a Surly Crosscheck.

• Steel.
  • 132.5 hub spacing so you can squeeze road or mtb hubs in it.
  • SS friendly.
  • Modern.
  • Cheap.
  • Not ghey.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
golgiaparatus said:
I know, its been so long since I awned a road bike... I've been itching to find a good 80's steel frame/fork and build it up with more modern components. I have a buddy that is doing that with an old Bridgestone, inspired me. I'm e-bay hunting. I want to find one that is in fair condition but needs work, maybe pick it up for under $150.
I just saw a killler bridgestone on eBay today... too small for you though. :monkey:

Instead of spreading the rear triangles you might consider hunting down NOS Suntour Superbe Pro and build a real retro ride. :thumb: