Quantcast

Road bike suggestions for an ex-roadie

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hi all,

I am looking to get into roadies again. I am 200lbs 6ft1". I usually ride a specialized SX frame for trails and some FR/DH, and basically i want to get a roadie in order to improve pedalling, stamina, lose weight and quit smoking.

Now for the bike specifics. I am looking for something up to 2K$. Campy Centaur Groupset and Mavic Ksyrium Equipe or Campy Scirroco wheelset.

As for the frames

Bianchi ML3 Allu
Bianchi SL3 Allu Double butted
Bianchi SL3 AlluDB/Carbon stays.
Colnago Classic Steel

I would love to get a Bianchi, i got a bianchi fetish. I was told that allu is uber reliable nowadays for heavy rides and should last me a loooooooong time... They also told me that if combined with a carbon rear stays , that it would last even longer as the CF will absorb bumps that would otherwise tire the frame more...

Anyhow i am looking forward to your opinions for these frames. I dig for the SL3/Carbon bianchi... if it is dog-reliable and strong i ll get it.

Also some input on the 2 wheelsets i mentioned would be more than wellcome.

Yours
Yannis

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Larger riders are better served by steel... me thinks you already know what you want anyway so just do it and ride already. :)
Well i love the looks of the SL3 Carbon, but if allu/carbon means something unreliable in the long term test of time...then i ll avoid it. And opt for the Colnago Classic (Steel) which is at the same price as the Bianchi SL3Carbon. If on the other hand reliability of the bianchi is the same as the Steel colnago...then i am off to the bianchi.

I dont have a clue about road frame durabilities hence my questions.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
Originally posted by math2014
Hi all,

I am looking to get into roadies again. I am 200lbs 6ft1". I usually ride a specialized SX frame for trails and some FR/DH, and basically i want to get a roadie in order to improve pedalling, stamina, lose weight and quit smoking.

Now for the bike specifics. I am looking for something up to 2K$. Campy Centaur Groupset and Mavic Ksyrium Equipe or Campy Scirroco wheelset.

As for the frames

Bianchi ML3 Allu
Bianchi SL3 Allu Double butted
Bianchi SL3 AlluDB/Carbon stays.
Colnago Classic Steel

I would love to get a Bianchi, i got a bianchi fetish. I was told that allu is uber reliable nowadays for heavy rides and should last me a loooooooong time... They also told me that if combined with a carbon rear stays , that it would last even longer as the CF will absorb bumps that would otherwise tire the frame more...

Anyhow i am looking forward to your opinions for these frames. I dig for the SL3/Carbon bianchi... if it is dog-reliable and strong i ll get it.

Also some input on the 2 wheelsets i mentioned would be more than wellcome.

Yours
Yannis
I have a brand new, never ridden, top of the line 2003 KHS Flite 2000 for sale. I am 6'2". I will sell it cheap. PM me if you are interested.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
No quality built frame that is well cared for will have durability issues - you are a big guy so the bumbs are going to be felt, I'd consider steel. Comfort over looks anyday.

Well i love the looks of the SL3 Carbon, but if allu/carbon means something unreliable in the long term test of time...then i ll avoid it. And opt for the Colnago Classic (Steel) which is at the same price as the Bianchi SL3Carbon. If on the other hand reliability of the bianchi is the same as the Steel colnago...then i am off to the bianchi.

I dont have a clue about road frame durabilities hence my questions.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
No quality built frame that is well cared for will have durability issues - you are a big guy so the bumbs are going to be felt, I'd consider steel. Comfort over looks anyday.
Well i am 95kg (210lbs). I treat my bikes well. As for comfort, given a cf rear i heard that the bumps will be dampened a bit, like on a steel frame. All i care about is long-term durability on the frame and not weight or comfort.... , so my only question is if this specific bianchi the SL3/carbon is going to be durable. My other option is a Colnago Classic frame (steel colombus) and a Lemond 2002 Alp D'Huez complete bike with 105 gruppo (Reynolds 853).

Sentimentally and aesthetically i am sold for the bianchi, but since looks and sentiments come 2nd, i am mostly concerned about durability. I might change mtbs often, but for a road bike i would like something for the next 10yrs... hence my durability concerns...

S.Midget your input is valuable...thanks again.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My Serotta is steel and was built in 1991 and has 10s of 1000s of miles on it - I have no need to replace it anytime soon although I did rebuild it with Chorus last year. I just don't trust anything that has been glued together... I have a friend who has a Pinarello Prince and he likes it fine - aluminum and carbon.

Well i am 95kg (210lbs). I treat my bikes well. As for comfort, given a cf rear i heard that the bumps will be dampened a bit, like on a steel frame. All i care about is long-term durability on the frame and not weight or comfort.... ,

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I'll take SM one step further. Al frames with cf stays have been around for what, 4 years? Hard to say what the real durability is going to be. Have you seen a 4 year old al/cf bike? I haven't. That's not to say they don't last; maybe the folks that bought them when they first came out are the types who have to have the newest tech.

On the other side of the coin, how long has steel been around? My main ride is a lot older than SM's. So it really depends on what you consider a "loooooonnggg" time. :)

On the wheels, I'll take 32h Open Pros on the hub of your choice built by a good builder any day over a boutique set.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Equipe are tanks.

More than actually. Yes they are Ksyriums but they are heavy as poop. I agree with Chris (Wooglin) Centuar hubs to Open Pros. It's what I have for daily riding. I'm getting a set of the top of the line Ksyriums for racing but the new centuar hubs have done me well. :)

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by wooglin
I'll take SM one step further. Al frames with cf stays have been around for what, 4 years? Hard to say what the real durability is going to be. Have you seen a 4 year old al/cf bike? I haven't. That's not to say they don't last; maybe the folks that bought them when they first came out are the types who have to have the newest tech.

On the other side of the coin, how long has steel been around? My main ride is a lot older than SM's. So it really depends on what you consider a "loooooonnggg" time. :)

On the wheels, I'll take 32h Open Pros on the hub of your choice built by a good builder any day over a boutique set.
Good Point! I ll check then on a Reynolds 853 Lemond AlpDhuez 2002 (sale), the Colnago Classic (Steel), and the full alloy Bianchi...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I want to echo comments about how ****ty pre-built wheels are, and what a scam carbon rear ends are.

Both are just plain old, not as good and more expensive than traditonal designs, but are popular because of looks, and the fact that they are cheaper for the manufacturer.

Colnago paint jobs are horrible, in both the asthetic and the durabilty sense. Out of all your options I'd opt for a RC steel Bianchi with a carbon fork, open pros and a full chorus groupset.

I love steel road bikes (own 4 of them). I also have a Cannondale Optimo that i love, essential because It rides like a heavy steel bike, but weighs nothing...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

Colnago paint jobs are horrible, in both the asthetic and the durabilty sense. Out of all your options I'd opt for a RC steel Bianchi with a carbon fork, open pros and a full chorus groupset.

I love steel road bikes (own 4 of them). I also have a Cannondale Optimo that i love, essential because It rides like a heavy steel bike, but weighs nothing... [/B]

Say what?????

Colnago Paint Jobs are beautiful, wax the frame with a hard wax and they last and last.

I had a Cannondale [bridge bike between two Colnago's ] Rode like a POS [Team Saeco R4000] absolutley no feel while cornering.

Math I'm a little bigger than you at 215 and the way a steel Colnago frame rides is just awesome. I use mine to race Triathlons and ride my butt off in the mountains. The Colnago just rails screaming down the canyons at over 45 mph.

Attachments

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Very good ride you got there mate (colnago).

I just picked my wheelset (mtb) from the LBS. They got some Le-Mond Alpe d'Huez bikes in stock, 2002/3 models, with reynolds 853 frame, carbon fork, full 105 gruppo, and CPx21 rims, for 650GBP (around 1000$). MSRP was 1100GBP , they offer them at 750gbp and since i am a customer they drop at 650 for me. Now i made them check for a final price with the 105 replaced by Campy Centaur. If they give me a good price... i am sold for the lemond. If not, then i ll shop around a bit more, for the colnago classic, or the bianchi EV boron steel.

Any good comments on Lemond 853 frames? I just love the dark deep green/black paint job on the Alpe Dhuez....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You are a wise man - LordOpie didn't listen to us and you wouldn't believe the tank he ended up with. :eek:

Spend your money on the frame first, wheel build second and component group third and don't skimp on the rubber - always buy good rubber. Between the top groups of Shimano and Campagnolo there is virtually no difference in performance - as far as durability goes, I personally think Campagnolo has the edge. As far as rims - Mavic Open Pro are excellent, inexpensive and bombproof.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
You are a wise man - LordOpie didn't listen to us and you wouldn't believe the tank he ended up with. :eek:

Spend your money on the frame first, wheel build second and component group third and don't skimp on the rubber - always buy good rubber. Between the top groups of Shimano and Campagnolo there is virtually no difference in performance - as far as durability goes, I personally think Campagnolo has the edge. As far as rims - Mavic Open Pro are excellent, inexpensive and bombproof.
Yep that would be my ranking, frame/wheels/parts. Now is this 853 Lemond worth the money?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yep that would be my ranking, frame/wheels/parts. Now is this 853 Lemond worth the money?
You are the only one who can decide that - I have no experience with LeMond frames - the last frame I bought was built in 1991 and is lugged steel... ;)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Silver
Yeah, but he's got a triple, doesn't he? :devil:
i fvcking love my bike so all y'all go screws youselfs :p

however, i can testify to Mavic Open Pro with Ultegra hubs... huge improvement over the crap that was on there.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by LordOpie
what's your point?
I'm only doing it out of luv... :love: if I didn't care I'd do you like I done N8. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously though... when I lived in Colorado I had two road bikes and one was a triple. When are you getting your next bike? It's silly being stubborn - you know know you need a new one. :monkey:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm only doing it out of luv... :love: if I didn't care I'd do you like I done N8. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously though... when I lived in Colorado I had two road bikes and one was a triple. When are you getting your next bike? It's silly being stubborn - you know know you need a new one. :monkey:
the delay on getting a new bike is the same reason I spent $420 on my current one... lack of funds. Want to spot me $2k? :D

If this job continues to work out and I get a raise in Sept., then I'll be getting a new bike come winter -- when they seem to be the cheapest.

And my next bike will also be a triple :p Yes, I'm starting to spin up the 6-8% roads, but there's plenty of 10+% stuff around that I'm still struggling with.

PS: i'm too scared to ask what ya did with N8 :dead:

TRIPLES RULE!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You got me lost with this debate! :D
I don't understand how you're lost or confused.

It's very simple...

Never let SM anywhere near your ass.

and get a steel bike with triple front :D

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by eric strt6
Say what?????

Colnago Paint Jobs are beautiful, wax the frame with a hard wax and they last and last.

I had a Cannondale [bridge bike between two Colnago's ] Rode like a POS [Team Saeco R4000] absolutley no feel while cornering.

Math I'm a little bigger than you at 215 and the way a steel Colnago frame rides is just awesome. I use mine to race Triathlons and ride my butt off in the mountains. The Colnago just rails screaming down the canyons at over 45 mph.
You are a fat, slow, old, poser tri-geek with a poorly fitting bike.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
ok I ll check seriously the lemond, MSRP was around 1700$ and now the LBS sells it to me for 1000$, 853 frame, full 105 gruppo, CPX21 rims, 3T The stem/bars .... it sounds like a hell of a bargain... its 2002 made in Taiwan. I sat on the 55cm frame... and with my hands on the hoods , i was a bit stretched, shouldnt ideally have a 90deg angle between torso and arms while at the hoods? (with bent or straight arms? coz i was sitting with straight arms)

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
A neutral position (i.e., the place to start before tweaking) is that with your hands on the hoods and elbows slightly bent the top of the bar should block your line of sight to the front axle.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
ok I ll check seriously the lemond, MSRP was around 1700$ and now the LBS sells it to me for 1000$, 853 frame, full 105 gruppo, CPX21 rims, 3T The stem/bars .... it sounds like a hell of a bargain... its 2002 made in Taiwan. I sat on the 55cm frame... and with my hands on the hoods , i was a bit stretched, shouldnt ideally have a 90deg angle between torso and arms while at the hoods? (with bent or straight arms? coz i was sitting with straight arms)
All I am going to say is what I say to anyone that asks about a road bike. Make sure it fits correctly. Find someone that knows about fitting road bikes, have them measure you, give them all the specs of the frame and let them tell you if it will fit.

Other than that, campy and shimano are the same quality in my opinion (high end) if you are selecting one put your hands on the levers of both and decide which feels more comfy to you. You will have to live with the hand position so that is pretty important.

Ideally your arms should be bent, something like this: