Quantcast

Road Cassette + MTB Derailleur = Huh?

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by Dirt Jumper, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Dirt Jumper

Dirt Jumper Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I stroll into my local bike shop, aiming to get a road cassette, because often when I'm even riding around, I'm in the 16t-18t cogs in the back, and I rarely use the largest cog.

So I go to the cassettes area, look at the SRAM 9-spd road cassettes, and I find one and ask a clerk if he's tried it and if it's a good 'un, and he just says, "Wait, you have a mountain bike right?"
    I'm just like, "Uhh, yeah, you know, my DB Assault." and he goes,
    "Well, with the MTB derailleur, it's just gonna be... funky..." I look at him, and he says,
    "Well, just because they aren't meant to be used together. That's why Shimano and SRAM make road cassettes, and they make MTB cassettes."

SO, I just walked out of there, angry, because I got the feeling that if I bought it, they wouldn't put it on for me because of my crazy oblivious stupidity towards running a road cassette with a MTB derailleur.

Is it really that bad to run a road cassette with an MTB derailleur (SRAM X.7)?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. downhilldemon

downhilldemon Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Where do you live? Is this a trick Question?
    nope. I run a duraace with an xt and have never had a problem. I actually enjoy it!

3. Wumpus

Wumpus makes avatars better

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 153
    The spacing on the cassettes is the same -- road vs. mtn. The only problem might be chain slack if you are running a long cage derailer, but it isn't that big a problem. My crossbike has a 12-25 dura ace cassette with a long cage XT derailer, and I haven't had any issues.

4. Dirt Jumper

Dirt Jumper Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Yeah, I have a long cage derailleur, so if the slack's too much, I'll just break the chain and take out a few links.

5. Muuqi

Muuqi Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I've got a sram road cassette on my jumping bike and run a sram derailler and it works perfectly. That guy didn't know what he was talking about. 9 speed spacing is 9 speed spacing, period.

6. Wumpus

Wumpus makes avatars better

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 153
    Unless it is campy.

7. Muuqi

Muuqi Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Forgot about that one. But then you get Campy flat bar controls and have the sickest custy drivetrain on any mountain bike!

8. Arsbars

Arsbars "Finger Lickin' Good"

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The actual issue comes with the front shifting not the rear. Because of the chain length when shifting down you may find that you drop your chain into the frame. I haven't experienced it with a triple - but I know on a road bike if you have a double with a long cage derail in the back you tend to drop your chain a bunch if the limit screws are set up correctly. Give it a try, the worse that will happen is you drop your chain, or you need to cut back a couple links.

Let me know if that makes sense. If not I'll try to draw up a diagram!

9. BMXman

BMXman I wish I was Canadian

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    [rant ]Yeah support your LBS...it's full of idiots who don't have a clue WTF they're talking about![/rant]

Seriously though it's amazing how much mis-information is out there concering bikes...D