Quantcast

Road Cassette + MTB Derailleur = Huh?

Dirt Jumper

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I stroll into my local bike shop, aiming to get a road cassette, because often when I'm even riding around, I'm in the 16t-18t cogs in the back, and I rarely use the largest cog.

So I go to the cassettes area, look at the SRAM 9-spd road cassettes, and I find one and ask a clerk if he's tried it and if it's a good 'un, and he just says, "Wait, you have a mountain bike right?"
I'm just like, "Uhh, yeah, you know, my DB Assault." and he goes,
"Well, with the MTB derailleur, it's just gonna be... funky..." I look at him, and he says,
"Well, just because they aren't meant to be used together. That's why Shimano and SRAM make road cassettes, and they make MTB cassettes."

SO, I just walked out of there, angry, because I got the feeling that if I bought it, they wouldn't put it on for me because of my crazy oblivious stupidity towards running a road cassette with a MTB derailleur.

Is it really that bad to run a road cassette with an MTB derailleur (SRAM X.7)?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The spacing on the cassettes is the same -- road vs. mtn. The only problem might be chain slack if you are running a long cage derailer, but it isn't that big a problem. My crossbike has a 12-25 dura ace cassette with a long cage XT derailer, and I haven't had any issues.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
I've got a sram road cassette on my jumping bike and run a sram derailler and it works perfectly. That guy didn't know what he was talking about. 9 speed spacing is 9 speed spacing, period.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Muuqi said:
I've got a sram road cassette on my jumping bike and run a sram derailler and it works perfectly. That guy didn't know what he was talking about. 9 speed spacing is 9 speed spacing, period.
Unless it is campy.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
The actual issue comes with the front shifting not the rear. Because of the chain length when shifting down you may find that you drop your chain into the frame. I haven't experienced it with a triple - but I know on a road bike if you have a double with a long cage derail in the back you tend to drop your chain a bunch if the limit screws are set up correctly. Give it a try, the worse that will happen is you drop your chain, or you need to cut back a couple links.

Let me know if that makes sense. If not I'll try to draw up a diagram!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
[rant ]Yeah support your LBS...it's full of idiots who don't have a clue WTF they're talking about![/rant]

Seriously though it's amazing how much mis-information is out there concering bikes...D