Quantcast

Road cassettes/derailleurs?

jollyrodger

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
I always see trials bikes with road derailleurs and/or cassettes. Anyone wanna fill me in on why that is? Am I the only one here who doesn't know this?

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
Road casettes get used becasue if you using a fairly small (30 tooth or less) you are never going to use the really big cogs on a mountian cassette becasue there just to easy. also it is common for mountain cassettes to have a 12 tooth smallest cog, while road cassettes often have a 11 tooth small cog. That one less tooth make the small cog about 10% harder, which is useful for riding from spot to spot. Road derailleurs get used becasue they are more compact (don't get in the way/don't get broken) and tend to have crisper shifting. I use both and couldn't be happier (well mabye if I had a single speed or a gearbox/internaly geared bike.)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
while we are on the sublect....(sorry for the jacking)

can someone recomend a small 9-speed road cassette that will work with a short cage Shimano 105 dr. I am using an XT cassette & want something I can use all the gears on.

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
no problem (I think this thread was pretty much dead anyway)
I went the the ultegra 11-23, Its working just fine. no problems so far I've had it for comming up on a year.