Quantcast

Road commuter bike tires

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by norbar, May 22, 2012.

1. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 280
    I'm building a commuter/roadbike and I have no clue what tires to choose. I want something that provides some grip since some of the tires my friends use could as well be made of soap. Is going 3 or 2 component super expensive tire the only option to get quality? What do you recomend.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bean

bean Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    For winter commuting I was using Ritchey Speedmax Cross and it worked pretty well on snow, ice and all the sand that gets put on the roads here, while not having a ton of rolling resistance when the roads were dry.

I just put a set of Maxxis Re-Fuse on last week and so far they're pretty good. They've got a reputation for having pretty good grip and being highly resistant to flats.

3. BUFFALO

BUFFALO Vigorous Giver of Reputation

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    I just last week put on a Continental Gatorskin and it seems pretty good so far. I'm not a big road bike guy so I don't have a lot to compare it to. The guy at the bike shop recommended it and said it has good puncture resistance. So far so good in mostly dry and a little wet riding.

4. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 280
    I wont touch snow. Winter on a road bike in Poland is unrideable. Right now I look at contis gp 4000

5. gonefirefightin

gonefirefightin free wieners

Rep/Likes:
    26 / 104
    Surrounded by Police in a hail of gunfire
    hands down the specie armadillo elite. last forever and you will never have a flat.

6. Matchew

Matchew Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    X2, Or the Touring Plus for a little more tread. When I was wrenching at my LBS the continentals were the most popular with the commuter/touring riders. Not much personal experience aside from installing just my 2c.

7. JRogers

JRogers talks too much

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    Conti Gatorskins are a good go-to for durable road tires.

Just to add another option, I've been using Michein Krylion Carbons on my road bike for a few months. No flats, not much wear, weren't too expensive and they come in 25c. Great durable road tire.

8. ?????

????? Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 2
    If the roads in Poland are anything like Germany, I'd just get a 29" mountain bike.