Quantcast

Road commuter bike tires

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm building a commuter/roadbike and I have no clue what tires to choose. I want something that provides some grip since some of the tires my friends use could as well be made of soap. Is going 3 or 2 component super expensive tire the only option to get quality? What do you recomend.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
For winter commuting I was using Ritchey Speedmax Cross and it worked pretty well on snow, ice and all the sand that gets put on the roads here, while not having a ton of rolling resistance when the roads were dry.

I just put a set of Maxxis Re-Fuse on last week and so far they're pretty good. They've got a reputation for having pretty good grip and being highly resistant to flats.

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
I just last week put on a Continental Gatorskin and it seems pretty good so far. I'm not a big road bike guy so I don't have a lot to compare it to. The guy at the bike shop recommended it and said it has good puncture resistance. So far so good in mostly dry and a little wet riding.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I wont touch snow. Winter on a road bike in Poland is unrideable. Right now I look at contis gp 4000

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Conti Gatorskins are a good go-to for durable road tires.

Just to add another option, I've been using Michein Krylion Carbons on my road bike for a few months. No flats, not much wear, weren't too expensive and they come in 25c. Great durable road tire.