Quantcast

Road/Cyclocross bike

Jul 1, 2005
I am looking at getting a cyclocross bike but so far the shops I have been to do not have any in stock to test ride.

Issues I may have:

245lbs

So opinions are appreciated. Shops in the Seattle area and a durable cyclocross frame. Is aluminum or steel the way to go? Not to concerned about the weight of steel but want something that will be durable and last many years. I am considering the Kona Jake and the Bianchi Volpe if I can ever ride them. A guy has a K2 Enemy posted as well. Anyone know anything about them?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I'm about to turn my Cove Handjob (19" steel HT mtn bike w/ disc tabs) into a cross w/ a Rock Shox Sid Race and disc. Plans are to run the Avid road mechs w/ STI triple driving XTR ders, mountain disc hubs laced to an Alex disc only road rims, 32 3x in the rear and 32 2x in the front. I'm 175, so for you maybe like a 36 3x rear and a 32 3x front.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You shouldn't have any issues whatsoever with a road bike*. Road wheels on the other hand... I'd recommend 32 spokes.

You could also consider a touring bike. Those bikes are designed to carry a lot of weight. They're a bit less responsive than a racing type road bike, but they're more stable. And you have the added benefit of actually being able to tour/commute with panniers. Plus, their more upright profile might be better for a new roadie.

Whatever you get, get steel :D

* EDIT: with regards to your weight.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
NeedAHardTail said:
I am looking at getting a cyclocross bike but so far the shops I have been to do not have any in stock to test ride.

Issues I may have:

245lbs

So opinions are appreciated. Shops in the Seattle area and a durable cyclocross frame. Is aluminum or steel the way to go? Not to concerned about the weight of steel but want something that will be durable and last many years. I am considering the Kona Jake and the Bianchi Volpe if I can ever ride them. A guy has a K2 Enemy posted as well. Anyone know anything about them?
Recycled cycles should have a bunch of Kona JTS's in stock right now. Also, University district Supergo should have the Felt cyclocross bike...

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Pau11y said:
I'm about to turn my Cove Handjob (19" steel HT mtn bike w/ disc tabs) into a cross w/ a Rock Shox Sid Race and disc. Plans are to run the Avid road mechs w/ STI triple driving XTR ders, mountain disc hubs laced to an Alex disc only road rims, 32 3x in the rear and 32 2x in the front. I'm 175, so for you maybe like a 36 3x rear and a 32 3x front.
this post left me in awe