Quantcast

road or cross bike for a commuter/weekend warrior?

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i've got an opportunity to pick up a bike from my shops rental/demo fleet. it just so happens that we have a cross bike and a road bike both in my size (61cm). both bikes are relatively low mileage, great mechanical shape etc

the road bike is a tarmac, its got dura ace cranks, ultegra everything else, and the cheapest ksyriums.
the cross bike is a carbon crux with apex and the roval pave wheels that everybody keeps telling me like to crack at the hubs.

a lot of friends keep saying how rad cross bikes are, and i agree i really like the idea. my commute is ~15mi, i cross a bridge over a lake with access to over 100mi of single track i could ride a cross bike on and it would open up the opportunity to explore some mildly entertaining terrain.

part of me says, i've got 3 knobby tired bikes already, what do i need a road bike with knobbies for. the road bike is plenty fun and they sure are fast. plus i could do some long rides, cover some real ground (beach is ~30mi round trip from my door).

price isn't really a concern so much as getting a bike thats going to fit my needs. i'm not trying to join any scene or waste my time racing, just get a bike thats going to cut down on the gas bill since i now live in an area that barely rains...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Obviously you can put slicks on a CX bike, and when it rains out, cantis stop better.

The weight is slightly more but it has a more stable geometry. And the day you want to do that fireroad descent, a road bike won't cut it.

On that note, I have a road bike and no CX. I won't be getting one either because I have a hardtail and several trail bikes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Whichever fits you better unless you want to actually race cross. A cross bike can be a decent road bike but road bikes aren't delicate flowers. Ive put hundreds of miles in gravel roads with my roadie and even smooth cross country trails.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i rode the tarmac a couple times already, fit great aside from the crappy saddle not getting along with my board shorts.

going to ride the crux in the morning, and take the long long way to work to see how i like it. i can already tell that i'm probably gonna hate the apex junk on there...

Probably not what you're looking for, but "right tool for the job" is what's going to make you happiest here.

Cross bikes are fine on short pavement jaunts, but for any "real" road riding they tend to suck. The stubby and tall geometry will leave you wanting, especially if you end up riding with people on true road steeds. I wouldn't having one for really crappy condition road riding, but definitely not when it comes to supplanting an actual road bike for pounding pavement.

Apex isn't close to junk - annihilates the cheap offerings from Shimano and Campy. I'd happily race on it. SRAM has entry-level componentry far more dialed than its competitors. JMO, of course (disclosure: I race for a SRAM-supported team).

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I have full Apex, chain, and cassette are meh, but the meat and potatoes are solid. Sram doesn't seem to make their lower end stuff suck and not work, just heavier and not quite as awesome.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
rode the cross bike into work today. rode the road bike home. cross bike didn't do it for me, just felt slower on the road and made me wish i had my mtb in the dirt. thanks for all the advice!