Quantcast

Road pedals vs. MTB

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Any reason to buy road pedals or just put my trusty Time MTB pedals on the road bike? I know I can reduce weight but that is not a concern. At the moment I only do quick 20-40 miles rides.

I hope my questions are not too stupid but I really clueless when it comes to road biking.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I road Time atacs with carbon soled shoes for years. I was fine. I started doing longer rides and got Time RXS Carbons and carbon soled road shoes. Wow...a huge difference in power transfer and comfort. It all depends on how serious you want to be is the real answer.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well both pedals and shoes are from 99 so changing them out will not be a big loss but they are still in good shape as they did not see to much action the last 8 years when they lost out to the flat pedals.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have old school shimano pedals that accept the mtb cleat, and I use my mountain bike shoes on the road bike. The roadies bust my chops a bit, but fvck em

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have old school shimano pedals that accept the mtb cleat, and I use my mountain bike shoes on the road bike. The roadies bust my chops a bit, but fvck em

I use MTB pedals and shoes too. I occasionally catch crap but it is always from some fashion queen that gets dropped once the pace picks up.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah I ride spd mtb pedals and shoes on the road. Partly because I like all my pedals and shoes to be compatible and partly because I commute and need to walk through slippery-floored train stations.

Anyone who gives you crap for your shoes is already behind you anyway...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There are only two reasons why you should use road pedals:

Cornering clearance, which mountain bikers do not care about.

If you want to use Speedplay, which have the most float.

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
The main issue is power transfer, I get weird noises and a vague feeling out of my spds when climbing and sprinting.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The main issue is power transfer, I get weird noises and a vague feeling out of my spds when climbing and sprinting.
I still use Ritchey SPD road pedals (the really old kind). But I also used Sidi road shoes as well. Never noticed a problem except that the mount plate for SPD creaks.

My mountain gear is too gunked up to have a super positive feel on the road.

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
I still use Ritchey SPD road pedals (the really old kind). But I also used Sidi road shoes as well. Never noticed a problem except that the mount plate for SPD creaks.

My mountain gear is too gunked up to have a super positive feel on the road.
I'm running road shoes as well, with new shimano SPD road pedals. That creak is not terribly confidence inspiring, probably not an issue, but not confidence inspiring.

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
I think the Road Shoe Vs. the Mt, Shoe make more of a difference than the pedal Type/system.

the stiffer sole of the road shoe makes such a world of difference
Are there any mountain shoes that have similar sole stiffness? I'm thinking of switching to crank bros for both road and mtn. pedals (I have a bike tour this summer that should include both road and mtn., I'd like to only bring one pair of shoes). Also, how is the stability and power transfer of quattros.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
Also, how is the stability and power transfer of quattros.
For what it's worth, I read elsewhere that the Quattros are being discontinued. I don't know if that's factual or not.

The Quattros are my first road pedal, so I can't compare them to anything other than SPD mtb pedals. They feel good once clipped in, but I think they're kind of hard to get into. I feel like the platform comes up too high relative to the eggbeater part.

If you do end up with the Quattros, I'd pull the thin metal side panels off and Loctite the bolts that hold them on. One of mine fell out on a ride. I thought it was just decorative, but it holds a bearing in.