Quantcast

Road Rash, how to you treat it?

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Just curious how others treat a case of road rash.

Do you cover it with a bandage + neosporin? How long do you leave it covered?

Do you man up and just let it scab? :)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
What happened Brian? I usually put some neosporin on it and keep it covered for a few days. Then I let it come off in the swimming pool when I'm working out.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
imo the best treatment is to man up and let it scab .but be careful depending on where the road rash is youmight wake up stuck to the sheets and have to rip the scab from the sheets and start over . same goes for boxers .

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If you have a large enough area to cover Tegaderm is far and away the best solution I have ever used (39 years of wounds from BMX, skateboarding, Moto, road moto, road bike, and MTB).

It is expensive stuff, but you pretty much just wash (might want to do a bit of shaving if needed) the area will with soap and water (I like derma-clense) and put a big-ol poly sticker right over the sound. Repeat every three days.

Wound stays clean and moist, The tegaderm sticks well enough to take showers and wear clothes over it without it worry. It also cushions against items rubbing against the wound and is stretchy enough to cover mobile areas as well.

I used last on a 8" by 6" rasberry on my hip/butt... two bandages/six days total and I was healed to new skin. No scabs, no cracking/bleeding.

Definately THE best soution.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
What happened Brian? I usually put some neosporin on it and keep it covered for a few days. Then I let it come off in the swimming pool when I'm working out.

Meh...I washed out on my commute. Leg is all hamburgered.

I have been using neosporin, gauze pad for the bad part, and Kling bandage to wrap it all up.

Usually i just let it dry up, but I was trying to see how it was with actually trying to heal it a bit before getting all scabby.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
If you have a large enough area to cover Tegaderm is far and away the best solution I have ever used (39 years of wounds from BMX, skateboarding, Moto, road moto, road bike, and MTB).

It is expensive stuff, but you pretty much just wash (might want to do a bit of shaving if needed) the area will with soap and water (I like derma-clense) and put a big-ol poly sticker right over the sound. Repeat every three days.

Wound stays clean and moist, The tegaderm sticks well enough to take showers and wear clothes over it without it worry. It also cushions against items rubbing against the wound and is stretchy enough to cover mobile areas as well.

I used last on a 8" by 6" rasberry on my hip/butt... two bandages/six days total and I was healed to new skin. No scabs, no cracking/bleeding.

Definately THE best soution.
That sounds like good stuff! If it was worse, or if I have a worse case in the future I will definitely remember this.

Jul 20, 2009
Try sprinkling some Anti-Monkey Butt Powder over the area once it's dry to protect it for the next ride. I know I'm a little biased (I work for AMBP), but it truly does work! Countless athletes have sampled it for us and we've got nothing but raving reviews. It has calamine and talc, which gives it a cooling sensation that other powders don't have.

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

and check out this funny clip on fighting monkey butt!