Quantcast

road ride, no pictures, not exciting

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
but I did set a new personal best for average speed (19.07mph). And yes, this is a pseudo cross-post from the road forum - sue me.

With all the bosses out of the office today, I decided to take an extended lunch break and log some extra miles. My plan was to do about 35 miles in a little under 2 hours. I knew the route, so I was pretty confident I could do it.

The loop starts off with 2 very short, but very steep climbs. Then it breaks into a neighborhood with a few intersections, some rollers, but no real elevation change. Then I get out on the main drag where it's fast and flat. This is the bulk of the ride.

About half way out, I flatted. grrrr. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I can't for the life of me patch a road tube. So I spent about 20 minutes fighting with the damn tire before I was able to get back on the road. At that point, I decided to cut the ride short and get back to the office - I was already 45 minutes into the ride, and I didn't want to be gone that long.

I'm guessing there was a tail wind with me on the way out, because there was most certianly a headwind on the way back in. More flat stuff, then some bigger rollers to finish out. Normally the rollers aren't a big deal... drop down to the middle ring and hammer through them. But the early steep climbs took something out of me, and I had pushed fairly hard to try to make the loop in under 2 hours, so I was feeling it.

All told, I did 23.2 miles in 1:13 for an average speed of 19.07mph. Top speed was a mere 43.7mph.