Quantcast

Road Riding in Rocky Mtn National Park

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
The Mrs. and I are trying to plan a trip out west to do some road riding. We both got new rides this year so I figured a trip is in order. (She got a Serotta CDA and I got an IF XS)

Question. Is there too much traffic in and around Rocky Mtn National Park to get a few good days of riding in? We are looking middle of the week in the middle of September? Thinking about staying in Estes Park or Grand Lake.

We were going to go to Glacier, but this would be half the gas money.

Any other ideas for where we could get a cabin for a week and ride a variety of terrain? (I used to live in Durango and she has riden across country, so we are not afraid of a few crazy climbs)

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
The Park is a gorgeous place, and a pretty nice place to ride....in the off season. The roads are narrow and the constant tourista RV's and cars not paying attention while gawking at the Elk and chipmunks are a very real danger.

Are you talking after the labor day weekend? You should be golden if that is the case. Just start early to avoid some of the traffic. Estes is a pretty cool place. You could also ride the Big Thompson canyon (hwy 34) to Loveland and back, another nice ride.