Quantcast

road tires for my hardtail

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
OK... since the trails are NEVER going to dry out, I think I'm going to throw some pavement friendly tires on my HT and do some road riding. I don't want slicks, but I don't need knobbies either. Was looking at the High Roller semislicks, but they a heeeeaaaaavy! The panaracer Commuter looks like a car tire tread...

This time of year, everything is constantly went from the rain/mist/slush crap that is constantly coming down, so I need a little bite. Perhaps something like the Larson Oriflamme???

any recommendations?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Jackson - I have some Michelin 2.0s that have very very little tread on them whatsoever - I could sell em too you really inexpensively. They came stock on my Belair for some reason -God knows why I guess - because they definitely weren't meant for a 4.5" travel trail bike.

I think they are the Jet S tires or something along those lines. If you want em - they are yours for cheap.

http://cycleus.webmichelin.com/tires/jets.htm

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i have a set of the jet S tires. love em. it should be what you're looking for.
they still handle offroad ok. but rock on road or packed dirt/fire road

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I got a cheap-o set from Wallmart.

It's amazing how quite road tires are....

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMcG said:
Where did Jackson go?
was in a meeting *damn work*

The Jet S looks good. I'm going to head over to my LBS after work - I want to ride this weekend. Mark - if they don't have anything, I'll take you up on your offer.

J

JRB

Hutchinson has a nice 26 x 1 slick. Ritchey makes a tom slick or something in that size. If I were doing it, I would get a true slick and not something like a semi. Semis suck on the trail unless it is very hard pack.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
loco said:
Hutchinson has a nice 26 x 1 slick. Ritchey makes a tom slick or something in that size. If I were doing it, I would get a true slick and not something like a semi. Semis suck on the trail unless it is very hard pack.
Is it in the water down there or what? Do you read the initial post before replying???

jacksonpt said:
I think I'm going to throw some pavement friendly tires on my HT and do some road riding.

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
Is it in the water down there or what? Do you read the initial post before replying???
I'm just telling you my opinion on slicks and semis. I hated semi slicks on the road. I hated them on the trail too. If you get a trainer, they will be loud. You don't need bite.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
was in a meeting *damn work*

The Jet S looks good. I'm going to head over to my LBS after work - I want to ride this weekend. Mark - if they don't have anything, I'll take you up on your offer.

Sounds like a plan Jackson!

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
I got a set of Panaracer High Road 1.5s. Look pretty decent, and the price was right ($17ea).

Those are not semi slicks. :think:

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
Originally Posted by jacksonpt
Was looking at the High Roller semislicks, but they a heeeeaaaaavy!
Why do you care about a tiny bit of weight????

The more weight on the bike, the better shape you will get in :blah:.... i don't road ride, so I don't get what the deal is.. :evil:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
loco said:
Those are not semi slicks. :think:
True... but they are not slicks (at least, not what I had in mind when I think slicks - no tread, like the indy cars run). I thought I'd want something with a bit more bite, but the guy at my LBS (who I ride with and who I trust) said more tread isn't necessary.

Plus he brough up a good point - if I put any significant amount of miles on a semi-slick, the tread is going to wear so fast that they'll end up slicks anyway, so...

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
jacksonpt said:
I put street tires on my HT last night... pedaled it around the driveway a bit and up and down the street a couple of times. Not much... but it's the most riding I've done in a couple of months.
jacksonpt said:
Plus he brough up a good point - if I put any significant amount of miles on a semi-slick, the tread is going to wear so fast that they'll end up slicks anyway, so...

:rolleyes:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
jacksonpt said:
I put street tires on my HT last night... pedaled it around the driveway a bit and up and down the street a couple of times. Not much... but it's the most riding I've done in a couple of months.
I haven't been riding much lately for a several reasons... The trails have been too wet, and the ones that aren't are 45 minutes away. Having a half way decent street bike means I can ride from my front door, regardless of trail condition.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
jacksonpt said:
I got a set of Panaracer High Road 1.5s. Look pretty decent, and the price was right ($17ea).

I hate to do this to you Jax, but they are $13 at Nashbar. Nice tires, BTW. I have a set on my HT commuter.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mackie said:
I hate to do this to you Jax, but they are $13 at Nashbar. Nice tires, BTW. I have a set on my HT commuter.
Yea, I'm sure I could have gotten them cheaper, but I wanted to have them this weekend, and I like to support my LBS. So all in all I'm happy to pay a few dollars extra.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
jacksonpt said:
Yea, I'm sure I could have gotten them cheaper, but I wanted to have them this weekend, and I like to support my LBS. So all in all I'm happy to pay a few dollars extra.
That's cool then - I thought that you had bought them online.
Like i said, they work well. Fast & smooth & quiet.