Quantcast

Road/Trailbike rolling speed problem.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Thanks for twisting my words. I said I know from personal experience that disc brakes are better than rim brakes, especially on carbon rims. You disagree? Among other things you can brake later, heat doesn't build up as much on long descents, and rain has less of an impact. Minimal weight penalty (which can be partially offset by lighter rims), and unlike others I'm not worried about injury from a rotor. So, better.

Certainly a road bike should be faster purely in terms of aerodynamics and rolling resistance. I don't think anyone here is arguing that. That's why we all are guessing something is wrong with Norbar's bike.
ridemonkey is a great place for tech over analisation.
truth of the matter is a good road descender will smash you on a rim braked roadbike down an alpine road descent whatever brakes or bike you have.
I wasn't twisting your words simply trying to explain to you that the brake type doesn't really matter. The rider (not) using them does. ;)

There's only so much grip between a 25mm tyre and a tarmac road and a good dual pivot caliper rim brake is pretty fucking efficient at slowing down the wheels they're mounted to.

#Uevnroadbikebru?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Ok. Found the culprit. The hubs are really quiet for how little is left of them. Did not expect them to crap out on me so fast. Then again cheap wheels.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
ridemonkey is a great place for tech over analisation.
truth of the matter is a good road descender will smash you on a rim braked roadbike down an alpine road descent whatever brakes or bike you have.
I wasn't twisting your words simply trying to explain to you that the brake type doesn't really matter. The rider (not) using them does. ;)

There's only so much grip between a 25mm tyre and a tarmac road and a good dual pivot caliper rim brake is pretty fucking efficient at slowing down the wheels they're mounted to.

#Uevnroadbikebru?
Really? A better rider is...better? Rim brakes are good enough as is? Brake type doesn't matter? That's the best you can do? :rolleyes:

How about this: A better rider with better brakes is even better. The brake type actually does matter. Even with small tires.

And yeah, plenty of miles in spandex and skinny tires in these legs.

Anyway glad the mystery has been solved.