Quantcast

road trip across the u-s-a

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
So in around three weeks, me and a buddy actually had the idea to cross the states for one hell of an epic road trip. We'll start from montreal (canada, where it's still -15 now) on march 20th and intend to go up to cali and come back within three weeks (doable) plus we'll stop on the way to gather some riding at certain spots!

colorado-utah-nevada are definitely on the "to-do" list but I've never been to those places nor really have an idea where to find some fun trails, is there such a thing as a trail registry that encompasses the most fun trails to ride in certain states?

The desert should prove to be quite fun (seeing as we've never ridden those kind of conditions). I'll be bringing my all-mountain bike (29er process 111, burly enough to do pretty much anything) so I can both go up and down if the opportunity arises. I've been riding for quite a long time so I can do pretty much any kind of trails.

If you guys, know any dece spots in those areas + cali, or are down to meet up with two young canadians to shred around, holla!

Most of colorado is under snow cover, as are most rocky mtn states. Moab is clear with highs in the 50s, but still getting cold at night. I suspect moab high-country is snow covered. i think your best bet is socal, southwest (sedona), or the south. Everything else is gonna be cold and (deep) snow covered. Bring your skis or snowboar too.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Colorado has above average snow at the moment, and as mentioned above, a lot of stuff will not yet be dry in 3 weeks. However, the western slope (Grand Junction & Fruita) should all be good to go, and there's a couple places around the Denver area that are likely candidates if you come through this area: Dakota Ridge and White Ranch. Dakota is short, but technical and fun. The climb up White Ranch makes you want to quit mountain biking, but the descent down Long Horn is awesome.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I would definitely try Sedona. It's one of my favourite destinations. Fruita/GJ too, but it's touch and go there wrt to weather at this time of year I hear. Ask the locals.

SCARY

Not long enough
Phoenix, South Mountain.We're about the low to mid 80's about now,60's first thing in the morning.
Bring pads and a camelback.
If you get a hold of me, I'd be happy to show you some trails.
This is the time of year where half of Canada is down here...so we understand most of what you might say.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
what about places like West Virgina, North and South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennesse, and Georgia? Aren't there awesome places to ride there? What are the conditions like at this time of year? They could be a good place to start your road trip, or maybe end it, on your way back?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
what about places like West Virgina, North and South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennesse, and Georgia? Aren't there awesome places to ride there? What are the conditions like at this time of year?
Freezing rain/snow tomorrow, mid 60s Saturday, then 70s next week. A little confusing right now.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Hit up Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City, Nevada for sure. The locals are very welcoming and you won't find better "rock-tech" anywhere. Just make sure you have pads and a full face.

If you find yourself in the Central Coast area of California, stop by San Luis Obispo. That place is epic. If you find yourself in Southern California around Orange County/Los Angeles County, give me a shout. I'll show you mofos around.