Quantcast

Road Trip, Bitches.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My brother and I are planning on driving from SoCal to Branson, Missouri to pick up a couple motorcycles. They are older (mid 70s Hondas). Normally, I wouldn't drive that far to get a couple bikes, but the one I really want was my old man's. The guy that we are meeting is one of my dad's old friends that he used to ride bikes with. He was an engineer at Honda and designed a lot of the parts for the bikes at the time. Cannonball run. My old man on the right at 24 years old.

The gold bike in the pic is one that we are picking up. The other guy in the pic is his buddy, the one that still owns them. He's older now, I think in his 70s. My dad is 65. The other awesome part will just be road tripping with my bro.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Want some Super Hawk parts?
Hmm...possible, you got stuff that needs gone? Not entirely sure what we are working with yet. My dad's bike is a '76 CB550 and the other one *I think* is a CX500. This whole thing has been though letters and phone calls. AFAIK they are both complete and should run.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm sure if you got stuff you don't need anymore, I might be able to make it work. I'm sorta handy that way. Plus, a garage full of machine shop helps. If my dad's bike is still relatively stock and looks like in the pic, I'm hoping to keep it that way. The other bike is going to be open season for mods.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Few more hours until I'm out this biatch for a week. Rolling out around 9pm tonight with my brother, stopping in Vegas, probably grab a room and then on to Colorado to stop with some family friends.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Man, crappy days. We were supposed to leave last night and my brother gets a call that his father in law is in a diabetic coma. His mother in law came home to him passed out in a chair. Needless to say, that put the brakes on our trip. Looks like we'll be rescheduling. He is out of ICU and doing ok, but still has a problem remembering certain things. We are all hoping it's nothing permanent :(

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
So this trip finally happened. We rolled out Thursday the 17th and did 3400 miles in 7 days. Lot of driving, but good food, quality time with my bro and now have my old man's CB550 in my hands, even though it needs some (maybe more) work.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
So this trip finally happened. We rolled out Thursday the 17th and did 3400 miles in 7 days. Lot of driving, but good food, quality time with my bro and now have my old man's CB550 in my hands, even though it needs some (maybe more) work.
Shouldn't you be producing wallets?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Needs 'a little' work. Actually leaning towards buying a complete wrecked Gixxer for the front end, brakes, etc. and parting the rest out. Simple conversion to replace the whole front suspension. The rest won't be that complicated to go through. At least I don't think, anyway. The motor turns over, but need to change fluids, clean the carbs, etc to fire up.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA

Here's the place we got the two CBs. My dad's long time friend. He was an engineer for Honda until 99. He has 77 acres outside of Galena, MO.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Gonna Cafe it out?
Yea, I like the style, but still want modern features. Keep it minimal, along with factory original parts being expensive and hard to get. Way easier for me to just build what I want. Something along this line, even though this is a 750: