Quantcast

Road trip ideas? CO or East?

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Peoria/Kansas City/Bozeman
So some buddies and I are trying to plan a last road trip before we all go our separate way for college. as of right now we are looking at SolVista/WP/KeyStone, Windrock, Diablo, PlatteKill, or 7 Springs. Plattekill and Diablo are the only places none of us have been too but not everyone has been to all the other places either. We are trying to do this as cheap as possible so CO or Windrock would be prime as they are the shortest drives but we are willing to do the extra miles. So what would you do and why? any other places to check out?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
come out East and hit Diablo, Platty, Whiteface or Highland. there are still a few other mountains besides those too.
skip Seven Springs, its not worth your time and effort to get to the all the way out there

is there any DH riding out by you??

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
i did look at Highland and Whiteface and would love to hit them up but i think that will be too long of a drive for the time we will have to do this. It would be 20 hours for them and 28 hours for me to drive up there. maybe next year though.

i live just north of kansas city in Kansas, the largest hill is an ant hill, so no there is no riding here. there is one "DH trail" (i use that term loosely) back home in illinois that we grew up and learned to ride on but its only got 100 feet of vert, way too over groomed, and makes even Vails trails look like Champery by comparison.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
east coast has a lot of lift served riding in a small area. I'm not familiar with elsewhere but you can get to a lot of places without driving TOO much. Diablo, Plattekill, Jiminy, Whiteface, Bromont, Highland....those are all great places to ride. It's worth going to highland if you can manage it...bermz are incredible out there, and plattekill and diablo are must hits as platty is super cheap and there are tons of trails, and diablo is extremely well built with a fast lift. Very classic east coast rivalry, and both are good places to ride.

My vote is ride diablo, stay at platty, ride platty, head out to highland, ride there, then party in boston at night and head home....if you have more time, head nawth and get whiteface and bromont.

I'm a windrock regular and have ridden everything you mentioned except 7 springs. Because you say that no one in your crew has ridden diablo or platty i think you should tilt toward the east coast trip.
Definitely make the drive out to Highland and maybe stop at Jiminy Peak on your way if you have the time and want a 4th destination.
How many days of riding do you have to work with?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
If you plan a Platty/Highland/Diablo trip, keep in mind that Platty is only open on the weekends, but I believe Highland and Diablo are open all week. You could def do something like Highland M-T, Wed drive day, Diablo TH-F, Platty Sat-Sun (and camping at Platty in the lot is dirt cheap).

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
im not sure yet as to how much time we will have. I will be able to get off however much time is needed but im not sure yet how much time they can get off. it will prolly end up being just a 3 or 4 day trip. drive up one day, ride for one or two days, and drive back. so hopefully platty and diablo will be doable.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Don't Bother with Jiminy Peak. They stopped maintaining their trails this season, and from I was told by numerous people, its not worth it. The trails are overgrown / very leafy.

I'd suggest: Diablo, Attitash, *Bromont*, Highlands, Whiteface, or Platty