Quantcast

Road Trip in December

mtbjune

Chimp
Sep 20, 2005
Denver
So I need some advice, my boyfriend and I want to escape the snow in Colorado and try to get some riding in during December. We get about then days off between Christmas time and New Years and were trying to decide where to go. Do you think it would be worth it to drive to CA to ride, is the weather pretty good that time of year? We will most likely bring our FS and urban bikes with us for the trip...

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Well, it depends what kind of riding you are looking for. Pretty much any lift serviced area will be snowed in, so that leaves shuttling other trails, and climbing as the only possibilities. There are some nice trails to ride down here though, they just get a little rutted when it rains.

mtbjune

Chimp
Sep 20, 2005
Denver
Yeah, I figured we wouldn't get to ride the lifts, so we are gonna leave the tanks at home...but at least we could get some XC type of riding in. Any suggestions on where to go? I've never been to CA before, so I am really psyched. Some place that's cool would be nice, so we could do some urban riding too.

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
I'd look at the San Diego area, best year round weather in the country! Good XC type trails all over also, look for Big Laguna, Noble Canyon, Cuyamaca State Park, Lake Morena, Mission Trails. That's just a few off the top of my head.
Lt.Dan could probably take you out for some urban assault as well.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
bfranke said:
I'd look at the San Diego area, best year round weather in the country! Good XC type trails all over also, look for Big Laguna, Noble Canyon, Cuyamaca State Park, Lake Morena, Mission Trails. That's just a few off the top of my head.
Lt.Dan could probably take you out for some urban assault as well.
That's easy--Bootleg Canyon. While a lot of the trails are DH runs, there are a decent amount of XC trails on the mountain. Not to mention that you are 25 minutes aways from Vegas. I couldn't think of a better escape from the snow than the desert. The weather is actually nice that time of year...

jej

Chimp
Feb 1, 2005
SD, So cal
Even So cal can be muddy in winter.... Tucson, AZ is also pretty nice and dry. Sedona is awesome too, but I don't know if there's snow in winter there..

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
blt2ride said:
That's easy--Bootleg Canyon. While a lot of the trails are DH runs, there are a decent amount of XC trails on the mountain. Not to mention that you are 25 minutes aways from Vegas. I couldn't think of a better escape from the snow than the desert. The weather is actually nice that time of year...
YUP! don't bother driving to CA. save yourself the 5 hours and go to Bootleg Canyon. i live in san diego and i drive to this place all the time. if you like hardcore dh they got it. if you like awesome xc they got that too. it's all in one place and they run a shuttle on the weekends. you pay like $20 for unlimited runs.

go to the website bootlegcanyon.com