Quantcast

road trip - Pasadena

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
hey all,
will be heading down to Pasadena this weekend as well as next (3/25-26, 4/1-2), and will be bringing my bike down. I've been hunting around MTBR's trail reviews but unsure as to what trails to pursue. I'll probably have some time on Sunday 3/25, and maybe both days the following weekend.

I'll be bringing my Foes FXR, and I generally like to ride DH-ish trails: smoov ascent with a fast fun reward, techie is fine. Although I won't have my armor or full face so not too techie ;) So I'm thinking 10-15 mile rides with mellow climbing and big payoffs would be ideal :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Wilson.

You can shuttle or you can ride up. I'll post maps and directions for you when I get home. Maybe some folks on here will want to shuttle with you and you can get a group going. If you shuttle you are looking at between 10 and 16-ish miles total, 2 - 3 miles of climbing. All depending on the route you take.

I would go but I am in the middle of moving and painting and my weekends are booked till after April 1. Though I'll see if I can get a reprieve for April 2nd (Sunday)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Wilson is exactly what you want. It's 10-17mi depending which ways you go. I think it could even be done twice in a day. Its such a fun mountain.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mtnbrider said:
Wilson is exactly what you want. It's 10-17mi depending which ways you go. I think it could even be done twice in a day. Its such a fun mountain.
Only once have I done it twice in the same day.

So maybe we should get a little something going for April 2nd (Sunday). Anyone else interisted? I'll organize but we'll need a couple of trucks to shuttle.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Ciaran said:

So maybe we should get a little something going for April 2nd (Sunday). Anyone else interisted? I'll organize but we'll need a couple of trucks to shuttle.
Can you just get a day set in advance as much as possible? That might work. I could ride it twice.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Sick. Thanks for the hospitality all. April 2 should work great for me; I've got a Subaru wagon for shuttling, could probably hold a few bikes (one stacked inside, one big bike rack on top - Sportworks - and one regular QR rack).

Naga, I'd love to hit the 25th but might have to see the fam that day...I'll PM you for sure if it looks like a go though.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Ciaran said:

Hmmm... Haven’t been up there in a while, may have to make the trip.

No guarantee’s b/c of work, but pencil me in for now. And I have Crew cab truck - so 4 or 5(if they are small) people and several bikes can go with me.

I'll know if I am a go or not next week...

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Likewise Solar...that was a blast. Although I haven't done a 5 hour ride in, oh at least a year, probably more -- oof. My quads started cramping on the last little out-of-the-saddle hill to the car, heh. See ya next week hopefully-
J

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Thanks Naga - went up and did a double loop on El Prieto today (Sun)...that's a fun little trail. Finished the first loop and couldn't help going back up for seconds ;)

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Looks like this has kinda fallen apart...so I'll do my part - 90% chance I can't make it now; the wife is taking the day off of classes so will probably be hanging with her instead.

Rode El Prieto again today, good times!

mott7070

Chimp
Apr 20, 2005
Glendale, Ca
were you able to hit Mt. Wilson? Let me know if you are still interested. I live 5 miles from the JPL parking lot. A sunday shuttle sounds like a good idea if you can get away.

Let me know.

Mott

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
J-

For some reason I thought the 2nd was Saturday not Sunday. After the rain stopped at 9am Taylor and I decided to ride from the top down. Trail was in killer shape. Lower Sunset was very muddy so we skipped it to avoid doing any damage to it. For once the horse trail was fun because it was so tacky.

Have fun tomorrow and I will post pics from today later.

Scott

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
No worries Scott, sorry I missed you guys. I unknowningly bonked my knee in that little mini-crash last weekend, and it's been giving me hell on the pedalling uphill. Shoulder is just fine though, go figure.

Mott, I'd love to go but the wife is definitely taking the day off so I'm with her...didn't get to hit Mt. Wilson this trip, but I'll definitely have to make a return trip one of these days. Looking forward to the pics-