Quantcast

Road trip to Rocky Mountain National area...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Hey guys,

This summer Im heading out for a road trip with the Family and convinced them to let me bring my Bighit along and hit up the DH places along the way. I'll be spending about 2 days at Rocky Mountain National park in Colorado and looking for some sick DH riding (hopefully with shuttles?) and or Freeride, Single track, w/e.

Ill be coming from the west on Interstate 70, and if theres stuff along there I can probly ride that.
Any trail locations you could let me know that would be worth a look from a Pacific rider would be sick, thanks guys.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i used to work for the company that owns the stanley hotel in estes park (right on the edge of rm np). :) but i don't know about riding, sorry! it's a photogenic place, tho, bring a camera.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Any chance you could be more specific than names, and give me the location its self? I have no idea about any city location from where Im staying other then Denver.

thanks.

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
Warm weather is still scattered up in the mountains. A number of places where you're still going to find tons of snow. But definately hit Winterpark and try to get over to Vail too. Keystone is good, but you'll probably find the most snow out of the three at Keystone. More snow=bad trails=less hauling ass.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Warm weather is still scattered up in the mountains. A number of places where you're still going to find tons of snow. But definately hit Winterpark and try to get over to Vail too. Keystone is good, but you'll probably find the most snow out of the three at Keystone. More snow=bad trails=less hauling ass.
:confused: I don't think he even said when he was coming to visit.... if it's any time past mid/end of June he'll be fine riding any of those places.

And there's no riding to speak of in the RMNP vicinity. Especially of the DH variety.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
What level rider are you? Winter Park is ok for the the rider that is just starting, nothing too difficult. Keystone has something for everyone and is a place not to miss if you are here. Vail is good with a nice mix of runs but they only have about three trails all are around 10 minutes long though.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Im not really sure what "level" ride I'am, but from what I know I could handle double dimonds in whistler. I do drops around 10ft at local trails, and I like going fast and doing DH stuff *Hints the racing sponsors*.

but Vail and Keystone sound good. Does anyone know if theres any DH races going on in the summer? Maybe some dates so I can see if I'll be able to race there too?

thanks.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
well it figures, now the route has changed. Instead were going from Moab, to Mesa Verde...then going to RMNP up 285.

I'll probly be able to hit up Winter Park since its like a 2 hour drive from where Im camping. Does anyone have any details (website, lift cost, ect.) or pictures of Winter Park? And is there riding around Mesa Verde?

Im spending about 2/3 days at each place (Moab, Mesa Verde, RMNP) and am trying to find alot or riding while my family is site seeing.

thanks.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
well it figures, now the route has changed. Instead were going from Moab, to Mesa Verde...then going to RMNP up 285.

I'll probly be able to hit up Winter Park since its like a 2 hour drive from where Im camping. Does anyone have any details (website, lift cost, ect.) or pictures of Winter Park? And is there riding around Mesa Verde?

Im spending about 2/3 days at each place (Moab, Mesa Verde, RMNP) and am trying to find alot or riding while my family is site seeing.

thanks.
Silverton Mountain?

Do not - I repeat, do NOT drive from Mesa Verde to 285 over Wolf Creek. Go Hwy 550 to Ouray. Trust me on this one.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Silverton Mountain?

Do not - I repeat, do NOT drive from Mesa Verde to 285 over Wolf Creek. Go Hwy 550 to Ouray. Trust me on this one.
Silverton Mountain? Never heard of it...

and mind if I ask why not drive that way? Im not doing the driving, and my dad just saw the road on the map as the shortest route. Is 550 a better road for a V8 truck and a trailer thats almost over the tires rated weight (cant bounce to much...)?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
and mind if I ask why not drive that way?
It takes about the same amount of time, but the scenery is a 1000x better through Ouray. Simply awesome! Plus, if you have time to stop, there's a lot better places to do so -- Ouray has a neat waterfall in Box Canyon, Gunnison has a great canyon to see, there's Crested Butte a little off the way.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...and am trying to find alot or riding while my family is site seeing.
If I may get corny for a moment... try to spend more time with the family. This is the kind of trip that you'll look back on and wish you had ridden a few less days and spent that precious little time with the blood.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
If I may get corny for a moment... try to spend more time with the family. This is the kind of trip that you'll look back on and wish you had ridden a few less days and spent that precious little time with the blood.
we go camping at national parks around the US all the time *yearly* so Im not missing ALOT. Plus, I never get to go riding somewhere different then my local trails...this is my only chance.

thanks guys Ill fill my dad in on the route difference.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
And if you're coming the Ouray route to RMNP, it's more on the path than Winter Park.
Unfortunatly as I found, I will be traveling thoughs routes and going straight to my camp site on the east side of RMNP. That means I wont be able to stop anywhere along the way, but my parents are willing to drive me out 2hours and drop me off/pick me up...Winter park sounds like the best bet to get my parents to take me too, and pay for the lift ticket :-D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Unfortunatly as I found, I will be traveling thoughs routes and going straight to my camp site on the east side of RMNP. That means I wont be able to stop anywhere along the way, but my parents are willing to drive me out 2hours and drop me off/pick me up...Winter park sounds like the best bet to get my parents to take me too, and pay for the lift ticket :-D
Two hours will be about what it'll take over Trail Ridge to Winter Park....