Quantcast

Road Trippin Input

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Buffalo and I are planning a week long vacation this summer in August-ish, but want to go too many places. We live in Seattle, and would like to venture out a little... as far as probably a max of 16 or so hours of driving could get us, though less driving is of course preferred. We'd like to say we're just grabbing our bikes and going for it, but we'll have the 6 year old with us, so we'll probably stick to hiking, camping, and fishing.

If it were you, where would you go? What are some of your must-see places in the PNW? We hope to stay at two camp sites with a hotel for one night in the middle of the week.

:)

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Glacier National Park is 8 hours. Yellowstone is 12 hours. Either would be great. We did Yellowstone and Grand Teton last summer and I already want to go back. Glacier is on our list of places to visit.

BC is also on our list. I would have no idea where to start with recommendations for that though.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Oh Glacier National Park! That's a great idea! We did Grand Teton/Jackson last summer (without the kid), I never wanted to leave!

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Jasper National Park if you come up to Canada. Visit the ice fields and take a glacier tour. Come back thru the Kootenays and hit the hot springs and lakes.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
If you are looking for great hiking and camping check out North Cascades National Park. I took a backpacking trip up there years back and have been wishing I could get back ever since. It stacks up to any of the more well known national parks that I have visited.

It really deserves it's nickname the "American Alps". The only place I have been that feels more wild and rugged is Alaska.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
X2 Canadian Rockies- my wife and I did our honeymoon in Sun Peaks, Jasper, and Banff, and took a cool road home that went by the Columbia ice fields. Anyway, super fun trip and highly reccomended!

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Ok kids! We're down to a couple options now: #1 Glacier National Park 1st half of the Week, Stay at a friend's lake cabin in MT the second half of the week. #2 Jasper National Park 1st half, debatable second half.

So next question... do we take the bikes? This may seem like a "duh, yes," question, but remember, we are driving with a six year old, so if we were to say, hit up Sun Peaks on the way down from Jasper, what the hell do we do with him? And if we were to find some xc trails, they still have to be as mellow as they come for him to ride. I mean, we could train the sh!t out of him from now until then, but that sounds like a lot of work ;)

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
So next question... do we take the bikes? This may seem like a "duh, yes," question, but remember, we are driving with a six year old, so if we were to say, hit up Sun Peaks on the way down from Jasper, what the hell do we do with him? And if we were to find some xc trails, they still have to be as mellow as they come for him to ride. I mean, we could train the sh!t out of him from now until then, but that sounds like a lot of work ;)
This...

Bring the kid along while biking.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wanted to head there when I raced Tour Divide, snow detours meant we didn't go through the Flathead Valley though :(