Quantcast

Road Tubeless

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have ran the DA tubeless wheels, I liked the feel. Question is has anyone ran the Stans road kit yet, and if so what kind of luck did you have with it. I am thinking about setting up my Open pro's. All I would need is the valves, I already have a roll of the tape.

Info and Opinions please, I am looking at this with a very open mind

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have ran the DA tubeless wheels, I liked the feel. Question is has anyone ran the Stans road kit yet, and if so what kind of luck did you have with it. I am thinking about setting up my Open pro's. All I would need is the valves, I already have a roll of the tape.

Info and Opinions please, I am looking at this with a very open mind
I have a friend that ran the Stans setup all cross season with minimal problems. You have to use either the Hutchinson tubeless tire or a heavy steel bead tire in order for it to work

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
DM - road tubeless conversion for the Open Pro needs what we call the cyclocross rim strip. It's the only road rim we've found so far that needs it. The only tire we recommend at this time is the Hutchinson Fusion 2 tubeless.

Let me know if anyone has questions. My personal Ksyriums have been tubeless for about a year now.

Cyclocross setups are a little different. Few more tire options and cyclocross strips are required.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Alright, so the sealant isnt sealing up the road tires like it does on the MTB stuff. And we will be using UST tires anyways, Am I correct in this info? If so, this is just the Info I was looking for, weather or not I would be able to work with what I want to, or if I will be stuck with UST tires anyways.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
The sealant would seal a "standard" casing road tire just fine, done it many times. However, a regular folding bead on a road tire can not take the higher pressures when setup tubeless. Not until the Hutchinson carbon bead came along was it possible but the tires are not air tight and require sealant as their "tubeless ready" designation is meant to indicate.

IRC has a couple tires in the works that may pan out as well.

I recently received this e-mail from another industry person converting standard rims and running the Hutchinson Fusion 2 tubeless ready tires, take it for what it's worth. "I think I have found a race tire, a training tire and a commute tire all in one that excel in performance and wear than anything I have previously used. Not to mention the peace of mind that the sealant adds!" No, I didn't pay him and he doesn't work for Hutchinson.