Quantcast

Roadie clothes are expensive

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I could have gone several ways with this thread, but I'll just say that road clothes are frikkin expensive. I can dress in my top quality MTB clothes (excluding shoes) having spent less than $60 for the outfit. However, I've been looking for some new roadie lycra and a decent pair of shorts will cost $60 minimum. I've been browsing the online stores and cheaper pairs can be had, but generally speaking, those $30 pairs of lycra suck. Decent lycra on sale for $40-$60 usually don't come in solid black. Looks like I'll be "forced" to purchase some sale shorts in funky colors or with corporate logos on them.

Yeah, yeah...I know: :nopity:

Why the hell didn't I buy five pairs of my Voler shorts when they were on sale for $35? :mumble:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BTW, I own three pairs of spandex (used exclusively on road rides) but only one pair really fits well (my medium Volers). My other two pairs are larges and just feel too big. I can deal with shorts that are a tad too big on an MTB ride, but on a road ride you definitely notice the discomfort more. I wear the Voler shorts on pretty much every road ride and they are starting to break down.

Anyway, wtf was my point here? I dunno....just talking to myself I guess.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
$60 for a full MTB outfit? I've always found that the one place your shouldn't skimp is shorts - I ride with Fox shorts that are $90 - very comfortable. I rode with a pair of $40 MTB shorts for a short ride this week, and the difference in comfort was huge. (a $90 chamois is much better than a cheaper one.)
I still haven't brought myself to buy any spandex.

rooftest said:
$60 for a full MTB outfit? I've always found that the one place your shouldn't skimp is shorts - I ride with Fox shorts that are $90 - very comfortable. I rode with a pair of $40 MTB shorts for a short ride this week, and the difference in comfort was huge. (a $90 chamois is much better than a cheaper one.)
$90 for a pair of shorts? EEK!

I'll buy $80 shorts but only when they are on sale for $40!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
rooftest said:
I have two pairs of Oakley baggies and a pair of Pearl Izumis that I didn't pay any more than $35 each for. Good MTB baggies are pretty easy to find on sale, and loose jerseys are easy enough to find cheap too.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I don't think MTB shorts are that much cheaper than road ones, it's just easier to find baggies on close out since the styles change to much. High end road shorts don't really change that fast.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
McGRP01 said:
At that price I might give those a try. I'm also in the market for some roadie stuff.

Question, if you're inbetween sizes, should you go up or down? I'm thinking down because I'll be losing all kinds of weight by riding my bike right? :D
I'd rather have them tight than have my twig and berries flopping all over the road.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I bought a $90 pair of C'dale shorts last year on sale at performance. They were nice for the money.

Last fall I splurged and bought a $150 pair of Pearl knicker bibs. They are sooo comfortable. I can literally do 4+ hour rides with zero chaffing. Best piece of cycling clothing I own.
The knicker part is nice cause I have toothpick legs and I can only get knee warmers to stay up if I shave. The bib part is nice cause there is no seam.
Peeing sucks though.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
OK Monkeys...UNITE...and find IAB and I the best pair of lyrca short out there for $50 or less! I want to order them by 3pm today!

1-2-3-GO!!! :D

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
McGRP01 said:
OK Monkeys...UNITE...and find IAB and I the best pair of lyrca short out there for $50 or less! I want to order them by 3pm today!

1-2-3-GO!!! :D
These are $40 and I like the other pair of Voler shorts I have, so I am leaning towards these at the moment.