Quantcast

Roadie pain

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We did 51 miles yesterday. My legs were fine and I could have done another 25. The pain was in my neck and shoulders. My deltoids got very tired and sore, and my neck got pretty stiff too. My deltoid endurance has gotten better this year, but I was still pretty darn tired at the end of the ride. Is it possible my handlebar is the incorrect width, or is this stricty a problem with my riding form and muscle stamina?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I wasn't there, so I'm not sure what to tell you.;)
Under the assumption that you weren't in the same riding position for the entire ride, I'd say it could be the bars. It could also be a stem length/sizing issue. Then again, you may have crappy form and/or posture. See how it goes on your next ride. It could be a one-time thing. If it happens again, I'd be concerned.

*disclaimer*
I'm not a professional trainer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
:)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
My feet started to hurt on this same ride - right where my cleats are on my shoes. Is that a fact of using mtb cleats, shoes, pedals vs. road ones? Or is it because my shoes are a few years old and losing strength/stiffness?

Everything else felt good for the 50 miler, but if I had to ride say a 75 miler or a century, I'm not sure my feet could have handled it. :help:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
My feet started to hurt on this same ride - right where my cleats are on my shoes. Is that a fact of using mtb cleats, shoes, pedals vs. road ones? Or is it because my shoes are a few years old and losing strength/stiffness?

Everything else felt good for the 50 miler, but if I had to ride say a 75 miler or a century, I'm not sure my feet could have handled it. :help:
As you know, I have MTB cleats and shoes. My feet used to hurt too, but I think my feet have just gotten used to it and I feel no soreness anymore.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
As you know, I have MTB cleats and shoes. My feet used to hurt too, but I think my feet have just gotten used to it and I feel no soreness anymore.

True - but your shoes are a much higher caliber than my Nashbar clearance Diadoras.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
MMcG,

I notice a few of our group doing a no-no, instead of being flat footed at the bottom of the pedal stroke - they were toe down heal up - (I have to correct myself from doing that) - not sure if you were doing that or even if it would cause soreness but it definitely effects strength/efficiency of your pedal stroke

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Babs - it could be both. There is a guy who races RAAM (Race Across America) and he is in ultimate shape as you can imagine. Anyone, his neck muscles gave out on him one year and his crew had to fashion this weird neck brace thingie that pulled his head up and held it there so he could ride. So, it could be the muscles, and it could be something not fitting right. I'd guess it's more the muscles.

As for the shoes...I know shoes, much like ANY piece of equipment, is a very individual preference. But with that said...my diadoras KILLED my feet. It left them feeling bruised almost!

Glad you guys had fun!!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My neck muscles and upper back get a good workout from road riding. I have found that these same muscles hurt during 24 hour events from wearing a heavy light on the helmet for a long period of time. Road riding seems to help strengthen the muscles, especially when riding in a tucked aero position.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
My neck and shoulder muscles get sore on long road rides. Part of the deal I guess.

This might sound extremely simple and maybe you already did this, but if you are using a MTB helmet, one thing I found that helped was removing the visor, so you don't have to hold your head as high to look forward.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Definitely could be from holding your head up the whole time since you sit so much when riding on the road.

One other thing that gets me is that I tense my shoulders. You tense your shoulders up and pull your neck down like a turtle going in to his shell. Relax your shoulder and get full neck extension.

Relax. Great athletes in any sport let it flow, making impossible moves and extreme effort look easy. Here’s how to be loose as a goose on the bike:

Face Off. If your facial muscles are tight, your whole body follows. Consciously relax your face and neck. Loosen your jaw muscles. Don’t clench your teeth in grim-faced determination.

No Turtles. Tense riders hunch their shoulders until their ears disappear. Drop your shoulders and relax the muscles that run from the top of the shoulder to your neck. Don’t look like a turtle hiding from danger.

Get a (Light) Grip. Bend your elbows slightly and relax your forearms and hands. If you hit a bump or get bumped, loose arms absorb the blow without affecting the front wheel. You keep your line and stay in control.

http://www.stlbiking.com/roadbikeridertips.htm

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
My neck and shoulders get sore when I start neglecting my abs. If I get lazy about my core strength, I lean on the bars too much, and I really start to notice it on longer rides.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
MMcG:
As for the feet hurting, if you are using SPDs with a mountain shoe, it is very common for hot spots to develop. Those cleats localize the pressure on to the ball of your foot as you indicated.

With carbon soled shoes (or similarly stiff sole) that can be eliminated, or using a pedal that takes a bigger cleat (like a Look style or the new shimano style) can help as well. Anything that spreads the pressure over a bigger area is going to be helpful.

Cleat position is so much more important on a road bike that a mountain bike. If it continues and you don't want to get new pedals and shoes, at least play with the positioning. You may find that you can get the cleats into a position that cause less discomfort on your feet.

IAB:
As for the neck "pain", is it more discomfort/a tired feeling or an actual pain?

Was it new or something you have experienced before?

If its new, check to see if anything on your bike as shifted. Seatpost, seat position in the clamps, or your handlebars rotating could lead to what you are talking about if its new. Its always a good idea to check your road bike to make sure the position hasn't shifted. I find that my saddle will migrate back in the clamp overtime. Even if its not a new feeling it isn't a bad idea to check it from time to time.

Lastly it might be time for a fit or refit to your bike. I get mine done or looked at once a year sometimes twice if I start to feel uncomfortable or something starts getting sore. Bike positioning is an evolving thing not something you set once and forget forever especially on a road bike.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
fwiw... on my big ride last week (almost 2 hours, almost 30 miles), I also had some neck fatigue - no shoulder issues, but definitely my neck. I chalked it up to being in teh same position for so long. I assume it will get better the more I ride... kind of a conditioning thing.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
For sure try to relax your shoulders more when riding in any position. I noticed a couple of years ago that I was tensed up in that area and it effected me on longer rides.
I still have to remind myself to do this once and a while...it's usually if I'm in or around traffic.:think:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I kept reminding myself to relax my shoulders yesterday. I think it helped.

And yeah I need to work on my pedal stroke and foot positioning - was working on that yesterday as well. I don't think it is related to the pain from my cleats though.

Damn yesterday was great! :thumb:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Y'all doing any stretching on the bike? For neck/shoulder pain, sit up and grab the bar top with one hand, then do a slow windmill backwards with the other arm. You'll feel the stretch all the way around. Do it two or three times for each arm. Also rotate your head around (like one of those bobble head things you see on car dashboards) periodically as well.

Another good one is for your calves/hamstrings but also helps your upper body as well. Holding the hoods, put one foot at the bottom of the pedal stroke and drop your heel. Then arch your back so you're basically trying to touch the stem with your pelvis. Do the same with the other leg.

I do these about every half hour on longer rides.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Echo said:
My neck and shoulder muscles get sore on long road rides. Part of the deal I guess.
That's definitely the wrong way to look at this.

I had the same problem when I first started road riding, lots of pain across the shoulders, especially as I was singlespeeding and that means lots of pulling on the bars. Fortunately a little after I started road riding I also started lifting.

Year later and I haven't had should or neck pain after any of my long rides(and I've done some long rides). Part of it may be that I got rid of my camelback and got a slightly lighter helmet, but I am willing to bet that a large part of it is due to the weight lifting I've been doing.

I know it is summer and we all want to be outside, but don't be afraid to hit the gym.

Good excercises for the back(I don't use machines, so those won't be included):
Deadlifts(with barbell or modified deadlift with dumbells)
Military Press(dumb or barbell)
Lat rows
Shrugs(absolutely killer after a long work out)
Pullups(hands 4 feet apart, work on using your back to lift you up)

Get these going at the gym, along with some stretching and you will begin to notice a distinct change in how your body feels after longer rides. It won't cure it all instantly, but over the long run you will begin to notice a difference.

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned it, but if your neck and back are hurting your handlebars might be too low. Try putting a slight rise on the stem and and see if that improves things.

The Ito

ito

Oct 3, 2003
wooglin said:
Holding the hoods, put one foot at the bottom of the pedal stroke and drop your heel. Then arch your back so you're basically trying to touch the stem with your pelvis. Do the same with the other leg.

I do these about every half hour on longer rides.
Bit hard to do on a fixed gear :think:

The other excercises work great though. I do the windmills with my arms and also pull my arms behind my back when I'm out on longer rides. Otherwise my arms start feeling dead. Need to get the blood flowing through them on the flats.

The Ito

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Jeez I always thought seering muscles was just good training. Next someone will tell me contorting my face into a mask of pain when climbing is not good for strengthening facial muscles.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Upper body strength certainly helps. When I've been less strict with lifting, some neck and arm pain creeps in. The only real time I have bad arm or upper body pain/fatigue when I've been good is during a full day of DH riding. Some pain will happen on longer rides, though. Just remember to shift hand positions and move around a bit to keep the blood flowing.

Does anyone have any tips for lower back pain? I get it on road rides and on mountain ones that involve long, sustained climbs.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
JRogers said:
Does anyone have any tips for lower back pain? I get it on road rides and on mountain ones that involve long, sustained climbs.
Ab work.

I usually only get lower back pain when I'm pushing a big gear powering up the climbs. Try dropping a few gears and spinning more. I've noticed that I can climb just as fast spinning as powering. I can also ride a lot longer.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
JRogers said:
Definitely make sure you balance lower back work and ab work. Lower back pain can be caused by underdeveloped abs or lower back muscles. Also go over fit of the bike, you may be straining too far forward.

The Ito

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The idea of you guys being in pain apeals to me. :blah:

My feeling is you just need to get used to road riding, skinny tires and aluminum frames are not the best combo. I briefly rode an aluminum frame and experienced allover body fatique - my steel bike does not have the effect on me.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Since we're kinda on the topic of posture while riding, I have a question. How should I position my arms? Say I'm riding on the hoods, I've noticed I have a tendancy to have my elbows pointed "outward" and slightly bent, which rolls my shoulders forward a bit. Should I roll my elbows down (slightly bent) forming a straight line from my shoulders to the bars?

Also... I ride with MTB shoes as well, and I do develop hot spots. While riding, I pause and "wiggle" my toes for a few seconds, and it helps get rid of the hot spots.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
G-Cracker said:
Since we're kinda on the topic of posture while riding, I have a question. How should I position my arms? Say I'm riding on the hoods, I've noticed I have a tendancy to have my elbows pointed "outward" and slightly bent, which rolls my shoulders forward a bit. Should I roll my elbows down (slightly bent) forming a straight line from my shoulders to the bars?
Yup. Elbows in and bent. Slightly bent sometimes, more at other times.