Quantcast

Roadies Get an EggBeater all their Own

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Tech Report: Pedal choices; race gear for next year and the übertrainer
VeloNews | June 10, 2004 | Andrew Juskaitis, Technical Editor

Watching the Giro or catching some of the action from Wachovia week, did you happen to notice "Fast" Freddie Rodriguez's choice of pedals?

While his team is officially sponsored by Look pedals, keen eyes may have spotted the fact that the newly recrowned USPRO National Champion was riding a pair of Crank Brothers Triple Ti Egg Beaters.

We asked the folks at Crank Brothers about that one and marketing director Christina Orlandella said Rodriguez has been using the pedal for most of the year.

"He's been riding the Egg Beaters for the last four months and in that time he's won three big races on them: a stage of the Giro, the Trenton Classic and now the USPRO jersey - all on Egg Beaters," she said.

Initially designed for the mountain bike set, the Egg Beater design has quickly grown in popularity (thanks to their ease of entry and light weight) and has even crossed-over to the road set. In fact, just as Rodriguez was wining his stage in the 2004 Giro, Crank Brothers announced the release of its newest road-specific design dubbed "Quattro."

Weighing just 312 grams per set (363 grams with cleats), this two-sided pedal still offers the same four-sided entry mechanism as all Crank Brothers pedals. Its composite platform is designed to optimize the pedal/shoe interface by using a unique cleat design which is adjustable in four directions for a highly tunable fit.

According to Orlandella the new pedals were designed, "to meet the high standards of pro road cyclists, so the Quattro has a narrower Q-factor and dual internal ball-bearings for a Swiss-precision feel."

At $170, these pedals also boast a 15.mm stack height and 15 or 20 degree release angle. They're expected to hit the streets sometime this August.

The company is sponsoring several athletes and teams here in the U.S., including the Monex squad. Interestingly, both Roberto Gaggioli and Jonny Sundt are Egg Beaters riders. I guess we have to assume, then, that they weren't arguing over pedal choices in that recent encounter of theirs, eh?

J

JRB

reflux said:
wouldn't an atac only dream of being that light?
The new ones only weigh 30 grams more than that. I also don't like the new ones though. :( They feel unstable to me.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I think its funny how Crank Bros. is quick to credit the win to pedals. I am sure that they are good, but its not like pedal choice is as important as a lot of other factors. How often do you even unclip during a road race? Did he ride through a lot of mud on hos way to the USPRO champ?