Quantcast

Roadies who own Mountain Bikes...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...is it me, or do they just not get it? If you're looking specifically for a workout, why not just ride on the road? Dont go complaining that the trail isnt smooth enough for you to keep a certain pace so that your fruity little heartrate monitor always flashes the right number. Isnt half the point of it to be spending time in nature? How the hell can you appreciate it when you're not even paying attention to it?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
unless you're a big time race, if your main focus is a HR monitor while you ride, then you're missing the point, regardless of if it's on the road or the trail. If your concerned about HR and all that other crap, go get on a stationary bike or a trainer or something. If your outside, have fun and enjoy the fresh air. Your body/mind will thank you for it.

I never ride specifically for a workout, it's just a perq that comes along with the ride. Road or dirt, the point is to have fun, destress, enjoy the quiet, etc.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
Most pro/expert XC racers are dirt roadies too.
Yeah well, mountain biking is a recreational sport taking it that seriosly is just taking it too seriously. Im sure its fun for them, whatever, good on em'. But I still think it misses the point.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well some people prefer MTB for cardio training due to the interval-training factor. Generally speaking, road riding doesn't have the quick ups and downs that MTB does. I can't enjoy an MTB ride that way though. I've been on rides with guys who check their heart rates frequenty and keep track of their cadence and MPH and want to get in and get out of the woods as quickly as possible. I just can't enjoy that. If you like it though, that's all fine and dandy.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I agree with you on this... I ditched my computer on all my bikes years ago because riding just wasn't fun anymore. As soon as I did, the pleasure came back. I have several friends that wear heart rate monitors on our mountain bike rides. I have no idea why as none of them race, but some of them seem to be in 'training' all the time.

I'm all for the perk that comes with mtb'ing,.... fitness. I ride mostly mountain, but occassionally get out on the road. It's still for fun, and I don't log miles.

About the only instrumentation I'll tolerate is a GPS, and I use that seldom. It always siphons attention away from riding. It does that on the road, too, so I don't buy the "roadie" piece of it - the issue is people who get hung up on technology or metrosexual display and forget to ride.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
peter6061 said:
I agree with you on this... I ditched my computer on all my bikes years ago because riding just wasn't fun anymore. As soon as I did, the pleasure came back. I have several friends that wear heart rate monitors on our mountain bike rides. I have no idea why as none of them race, but some of them seem to be in 'training' all the time.

I'm all for the perk that comes with mtb'ing,.... fitness. I ride mostly mountain, but occassionally get out on the road. It's still for fun, and I don't log miles.
Yeah, I always wonder about the guys who are out there "training" Im like, for what? You put yourself through a personal hell for a plastic 3rd place trophy in sport class? Will that impress the other dirt roadies? Go for it.
I dunno. Im riding alot right now, cause Im trying not to die when I go out west, but some people...wow..

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I don't race much anymore but do still "train" for specific goals. Whether it be the annual bike trip out west or that one or two races I do in the year. Its not too win or anything but to make sure that I'm in good enough shape to have fun. The last thing I want is for the annual trip to suck because I've been slacking.

However, training isn't serious at all. Its mainly getting in the road miles for the base and getting out on the trails for intensity and fun. The only thing I do to keep up with it is just keep an eye on general ride times.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Some of the events my friends and I enter require some training (i.e. 25 miles, 4300 ft. of vertical climbing), just something you don't go out and do every ride. I basically have to do some training just to survive the event. Yeah, I've got a road bike. I don't ride it too much as I don't care for all the "etiquette" and "rules" associated with group riding. I just want to get out and ride. I'm the one always lagging off the end in a road ride checking out the scenery and what's going to run over me from behind.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I could care less if road riders complain that a trail is too bumpy. I'm not ready to do a century.

It's usually less complaining than DH'ers do. Both complain way too much. Heck, I know I complain too much, I won't deny it. But we're bitching about bitching, who are we to say anything?

"OH NO, CLIMBING! THIS TRAIL SUCKS" vs. "OH NO, ROCKS! THIS TRAIL SUCKS!"

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
BurlyShirley said:
...is it me, or do they just not get it? If you're looking specifically for a workout, why not just ride on the road? Dont go complaining that the trail isnt smooth enough for you to keep a certain pace so that your fruity little heartrate monitor always flashes the right number. Isnt half the point of it to be spending time in nature? How the hell can you appreciate it when you're not even paying attention to it?
note to self......take computer off of the Bullit and don't wear HR monitor when riding with BS. :rolleyes: Also, be sure to complain about not enough rocks in the trail.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
douglas said:
not the ones I know
:stupid:

A good number of those expert/pro XC guys will beat you up and down the trail. Just because not every XC course is a rocky minefield doesn't mean they don't know how to ride that stuff.

I will however say that going anareobic on a rocky downhill with a seat halfway up your ass and 1.8" tires is not fun. Probably comparable to the pros complaining about unsafe riding conditions through the Yardsale.

BS, what about the guys on 6 inch travel trail bikes who complain about a trail being too rough, do they suck to? Cause I've seen a lot of those guys lately. Or is it only if you own a road bike?

The Ito

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't race much and I've never been accused of taking cycling too seriously. But in cycling as well as life, having goals is often a good thing. It gives you structure, something to shoot for, and helps you progress.

You should try it sometime.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
I'm usually too busy enjoying myself on a ride to give a **** about what anyone else is doing.

exactly!

Why do you guys care if someone has a HR monitor, or not..or if they have a road bike at home or not, or they race every w/e, or have never raced??

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
I guarentee you would not say that if you biked the ones out my way.
I keep hearing about these groomed trails but never see them. Old pueblo was smooth and easy but that is just the landscape out there. The only NORBA sanctioned race I have done is at Greenbriar Md and it was deliciously brutal.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
I keep hearing about these groomed trails but never see them. Old pueblo was smooth and easy but that is just the landscape out there. The only NORBA sanctioned race I have done is at Greenbriar Md and it was deliciously brutal.

anyone that says crap like Norba groomed trails, I'd pay their entry into Mount Snow & Hunter (masters of the mounatain)...with the only deal if they fall or hike a bike, then they pay me back double.

I'd be rich $$$

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
johnbryanpeters said:
About the only instrumentation I'll tolerate is a GPS, and I use that seldom. .

I have a little pocket in the top of my pack that I can stash my GPS in. It still gets good reception even inside the pack. This way I can keep the GPS turned on and forget about it during the ride. I might check it every once and while during breaks. It's kind of cool when you get home to check it and see where you've been, how far and fast you went, and how long it took.

Back to the original topic. I hate those tree cutting, obstacle removing, bump smoothing, get out of my way, nobody gonna break a my stride, roadies on dirt too.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jdschall said:
It's kind of cool when you get home to check it and see where you've been, how far and fast you went, and how long it took.
That is cool, but what's cooler is when you are in the woods and have no effing idea where you are or how to get back to the car, so you take out your GPS and it shows you the way. :D

Yeah, it's saved me once or twice. :p

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BurlyShirley said:
When i ride dirt, I leave all electronics at home, I don't even have a basic cyclometer.

splat

Nam I am
I Are Baboon said:
That is cool, but what's cooler is when you are in the woods and have no effing idea where you are or how to get back to the car, so you take out your GPS and it shows you the way. :D

Yeah, it's saved me once or twice. :p
yeah but that was just because you hadn't cut the grass in the back yard in how long ?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I wouldn't hardly consider MTB to be a leisurely activity as there is usually lots of climbing and speed involved. I'm not training in particular when I'm on the dirt, but I'm still getting a hell of a workout.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When I ride off road with roadies, it is hard for them to appreciate the technical challenges, like drops and jumps. Stopping for a break is also anathema, but you can chat while you are riding.

I also disagree the perception that roadies are whiny yuppies. While I would say 75% are, particularily the casual riders; the most competive racers will train and ride in any weather, bounce back from pavement crashes, and ride some difficult terrain sans suspension.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LordOpie said:
SS?

I am, I have HR, cadence, yada yada on my roadie. When the money rolls in, I might get a PowerTap and GPS too :)
I have a speedometer, cadence, temperature and low oil level indicator on my road bike. My favorite piece of tech on it is a 650cc motor.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Westy said:
I have a speedometer, cadence, temperature and low oil level indicator on my road bike. My favorite piece of tech on it is a 650cc motor.
650? Is that all? :D

Speaking of which, the weather's been nice enough and my knee has healed enough that I've been on my scooter this week... damn, feels good to be on it again.