Quantcast

Roadies

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
Why do Roadies feel it is OK to go 3 and even 4 abreast on narrow twisting hilly streets? The speed limit is 35 and I'm stuck doing 15 because these self entitled jerkoffs think this is ok. I had to finally pass the group and when I did they decided to go five across and just block the whole road! I'm all for sharing the road as I sometimes have to ride my mtb on the road between trails but come on. There is no excuse even if its an organized ride for a cause in which case the road should be closed or at least signed.
rant over

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
Maybe be cause jerk wads like you would insist on passing , when it is not safe too.

Actually I did pass WHEN it was SAFE to do so. As for giving anybody a bad name I guess from now on I'll just drive over the white line right next to the side walk because I'm afraid of the oncoming traffic! Come on. I'm not condoning bad behavior be it riding up on the group blaring your horn or hurling obscenities while screaming past them. I'm just saying its ignorant to feel as if you are the only one on the road. Especially on a Sunday afternoon on rt. 62 in Middleton! Yes there are bad drivers out there who are to busy talking or worse texting on their cell phones. We ALL need to share the road both drivers and cyclists.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Were they climbing or descending? That can make a huge difference as to my attitude when riding road. The road we have up were I was riding road alot, Man if you tried pasing me on my decent, YOur getting an ass whooping later. When Im decending, I will usually take up the road, If its an area that it is unsafe for someone to pass me, Ill take up the road....

Biggest reason for this......... Because too many people that are allowed to drive are ****ing retarded and havent a clue as to what a safe pass is, and I must for my own safety not allow a pass till I feel its safe.... otherwise I end up back in teh hospital because the moron mouthbreathing teenager decided it was a good time to mass and ran me into the bushes again.

Perceptions for saftey are leaps and bounds different when your on a road bike vs when your in a car.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Where I live its legal to ride two or three abreast...cyclists have just as much a right to the road as cars do.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
There's a road ride here from Reno to Lake Tahoe and back. it sucks on ice, but it is a great training ride. I will bow out on turns just to keep some mouth breathing cager from running me over. I advocate riding in a single line, but remember you ride bikes too, and it sure would be bad karma for you to hurt or molest a fellow rider.

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
While I do realize this is a cycling website (albeit a mtb one). I just wanted to gauge the public opinion on this particular situation. We all have an opinion and sometimes it doesn't always agree. I can see where safety is the biggest concern as it is always the first thing I consider in such situations.
In this particular instance there was no sustained climb or descent. More of a rolling hill. When I decided it was safe to pass, no oncoming traffic and the 7 or 8 cyclists ahead of me were no more than two abreast I did so. Not being a roadie myself I've never been in the situation where I would feel safer blocking oncoming traffic as I don't trust the other drivers around me in my truck never mind on a bike. I have had cyclists swerve out into the road ahead of me to avoid a sandy section and have always had plenty of room so its never been an issue. That being said maybe they are allowed to ride in the road and block oncoming traffic like the other poster mentioned. I doubt that knowing how this state is. I know not all roadies are like this but then not all drivers are like the others that have caused accidents.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Road riders from out of town do that here all the time. It makes me crazy when they block the road and pay no attention to the cars piling up behind them. I don't mind if there is no safe place to pass or if they are descending and keeping a good pace. On a flat road, especially one that has "Highway" in its name, it would really be nice if they rode single file. Even other cars are required to pull over to let traffic pass if they have 5 or more cars waiting behind them.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It seems you are making an unfair generalization about all roadies based on one experience. There are people who drive cars like jerks, but that doesn't mean everybody does. Some people go really slow in the passing lane, does that mean all car drivers are arrogant bitches?

Then again, if you see this behavior a lot, maybe you should ask yourself why these riders feel the need to protect themselves.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Also keep in mind that it can be very hard to hear cars behind you. If you are riding with any kind of speed, the wind noise in your ears is often louder than the sound of a car approaching. I know this has happened to me a few times where I was in the way of a car who wanted to pass simply because I didn't know they were there.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i know the road the OP is talking about, and there is no need for riders to ride two or more abreast in this situation.

i've been behind asshat riders that take the whole lane and look back at you, doing nothing about it. yeah, i get that there are dangerous areas for cars to pass, but when it's a straight, wide open road don't be a dick about it.

here's a question for you group riders (i ride solo pretty much all the time so i am legitimately curious) - is a group ride more of a social thing, where you want to ride next to someone so you can chat? or is there less drag by riding in other than a straight line, and it's done for efficiency?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
i know the road the OP is talking about, and there is no need for riders to ride two or more abreast in this situation.

i've been behind asshat riders that take the whole lane and look back at you, doing nothing about it. yeah, i get that there are dangerous areas for cars to pass, but when it's a straight, wide open road don't be a dick about it.

here's a question for you group riders (i ride solo pretty much all the time so i am legitimately curious) - is a group ride more of a social thing, where you want to ride next to someone so you can chat? or is there less drag by riding in other than a straight line, and it's done for efficiency?
If it's narrow enough that there is no shoulder and there is no room for a car and cyclist to exist side by side in the lane, then the cyclist (in my mind and according to the laws in my state) should absolutely take the lane. Otherwise the car will try to squeeze by and come very close to clipping said cyclist. If it's straight and wide open, then it should be easy enough for the car to wait for an opening to cross the double yellow and make a pass.

I won't defend cyclists riding in packs, though, just the fact that on narrow roads with no shoulder, it's safer to ride in the middle of the lane than trying to stay as far right as possible.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
Depends on the group, sometimes it's a bit of both. It is more efficient typically and reduces the bungeecord/whip effect vs. a single line where gaps can be created, people dropped off the back in turns, etc. http://www.sceniccityvelo.com/content.php?id=Training_paceline_riding&format=1111

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't know what to tell you.

In the big pack rides, everyone is quite aware they could be crushed in a heartbeat, and that numbers don't count for much.

My experience from two wheels if that the delay to cars is probably at worse 30 seconds.

On the other hand, what I hate about some mountain bikers and bmx riders is their slavish attachment to their cars and trucks.

I commute regularly by bicycle, and knowing the risk I experience, I am not going to flip out even I was delayed a few minutes by other cyclists.

You should try commuting by bike. I bet you won't flip the next time you pass some bike riders in your car.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
One thing I noticed I do (subconsciously) when driving, is if I see a roadie coming on the opposite side of the road, I'll move over to the right/hug the shoulder to allow cars on the other side of the road to more easily give said riders more room, even if there isn't necessarily a car on that side. Anyone else do that?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
One thing I noticed I do (subconsciously) when driving, is if I see a roadie coming on the opposite side of the road, I'll move over to the right/hug the shoulder to allow cars on the other side of the road to more easily give said riders more room, even if there isn't necessarily a car on that side. Anyone else do that?
Yep. I also make room for motorcycles, since I'm sometimes on one of those.

Back on topic, threads like this annoy me. Generalizing about an entire group based on the actions of a few is not fair, and it's bound to bite you in the ass. Or maybe you like it when people complain about the bad trail habits of all mountain bikers even if you are not guilty?

Look, society is full of jerks. As cycling gets more popular it reflects society as a whole. That means some people who ride bikes are jerks. But it doesn't mean we all are.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I commute to work and drive cars. I have seen drivers do stupid things and riders do stupid things. Always assume the worst, always try to be accommodating on both sides.

I saw a couple riding side by side on a busy highway with an adequate shoulder with heavy traffic. As a cyclist, it pissed me off that they would consider blocking the road so they could have a chat. I think it gives other people a bad idea of cyclists and goes against the principal of "share the road".

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
I can see where some of you took my rant as "flipping out" about all Roadies. I know not every group of riders is out to hog the road and I shouldn't have generalized it that way. FWIW I too have a habit of moving over to the right when I see a biker coming at me along with traffic to allow more room for all of us. The only point I was really trying to make is we all need to share the road.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
I agree with the OP. If Narlus know the road the OP is talking about then it may be in MA. A couple years ago they changed the law, but I feel like most cyclists understand a different law than was passed. My GF is a roadie and her interpretation of the law is based on the heresay of her PMC training team and friends. The law pretty specifically states that you can ride two abreast when there are no cars around, but when a faster vehicle approaches, you need to get back in single file and allow them to pass.

2. Riding Two Abreast Permitted : Bicyclists are no longer restricted to riding single file at all times. You can now ride two abreast (two bicycles, side-by-side), except that you still have to help faster vehicles to pass. So stay in single file when cars need to get by! On multi-lane roads, you can ride two abreast, but all the cyclists in your group must stay in one lane (which will usually be the right-hand lane unless you are making a left turn).
I also feel like their interpretation is that a multi lane road is one lane going one direction and one lane going the opposite direction. But I'm pretty sure the law is talking about a 2 lanes in one direction as a multi lane road.

Anyway, there's a new initiative in MA now. same road same rules. This will not fly in boston. None of the commuters wait for traffic lights.

Whatever, I'm barely on the road when riding to from the woods and I get jackasses buzzing me and throwing **** at me on occasion. so I guess it goes both ways.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I can see where some of you took my rant as "flipping out" about all Roadies. I know not every group of riders is out to hog the road and I shouldn't have generalized it that way. FWIW I too have a habit of moving over to the right when I see a biker coming at me along with traffic to allow more room for all of us. The only point I was really trying to make is we all need to share the road.
I pay close attention to cyclists that are hit by cars around the country. It is a real tragedy.

I don't know what to say about your fight for "cyclists to share the road". You should pay attention to some of the wrecks, and you might be a little more patient.

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
I pay close attention to cyclists that are hit by cars around the country. It is a real tragedy.

I don't know what to say about your fight for "cyclists to share the road". You should pay attention to some of the wrecks, and you might be a little more patient.
Clearly you don't get it. Its not a matter of patient as I PATIENTLY waited until I could SAFELY pass by those that were IMPEDING the flow of traffic. I suppose every time you come across a pair of cyclists on the road riding two abreast that you slow to their pace and patiently follow them until you or they turn off? Yeah I thought so. :rolleyes:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Clearly you don't get it. Its not a matter of patient as I PATIENTLY waited until I could SAFELY pass by those that were IMPEDING the flow of traffic. I suppose every time you come across a pair of cyclists on the road riding two abreast that you slow to their pace and patiently follow them until you or they turn off? Yeah I thought so. :rolleyes:
Whenever other roadies won't let me pass I put a stick through their spokes, then while they're on the ground bleeding I blast them with piss.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yes I do. I do it every time, without complaint.

And trust me, I'm not a patient driver.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If it's narrow enough that there is no shoulder and there is no room for a car and cyclist to exist side by side in the lane, then the cyclist (in my mind and according to the laws in my state) should absolutely take the lane. Otherwise the car will try to squeeze by and come very close to clipping said cyclist. If it's straight and wide open, then it should be easy enough for the car to wait for an opening to cross the double yellow and make a pass.

I won't defend cyclists riding in packs, though, just the fact that on narrow roads with no shoulder, it's safer to ride in the middle of the lane than trying to stay as far right as possible.
Negetive ghostrider... the pattern is full........ If a car must cross the double to pass...... they shouldnt pass. As far as I know tahts the law in anya nd all states...... You can only cross the double to avoid something stationary in the road, if construction directs you to, or if TC directs you to..... Never is it in anyway legal to cross the double to pass... be it a car or a bike...... If you have to cross the double to pass a bike, that means there is no shoulder, that means its not a safe place to pass.....

The phrase the longest yard.... You should be passing with no less than a yard of space between your vehicle and the cyclist.

Every day I drive through san timiteo canyon, and Live Oak canyon. Both of those are heavily travelled by bicycles, by heavily I mean friggin heavily. These are both part of the Breathless agony ride here in socal as well. Every morning and every afternoon I find myself behind a rider, or two either on the way to work, or the way home sometimes both, and yes I absolutly pace them and wait patiently. Around here drivers wait till the cyclists lets us know that they know we want to pass, Ive been buzzed by cars before, it pisses me off to have a car buzz past when I dont realize they are there.

Little side note to the drivers that get upset at roadies using the road.... OK two notes

First.... Its a speed limit, not a speed requirement.

second, I get that your on a schedule, in a hurry, or just want to go faster... Thats great... BUT SLOW THE **** DOWN WHEN YOU PASS..... If the roadie is doing 15 MPH, you should be passing no faster than 25... thats ten miles faster than who you are passing........ Dont be that fcker that passes me at 55 plus while I am doing 15. Thats a great way to kill someone.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz

I knew as a child that my father bought me a bazooka for a christmas present for a reason.

Now I know why...