Quantcast

Roadtrip with rideing in PNW, advice?

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
So my brother and I and maybe a few friends are going to take off on the 19th of this month. I live in Monroe and first we are going to go to Whistler, then Kamloops, then Vernon to hit Silver Star, then to Kelowna, Nelson, cross the border into Idaho, then head to Glacier, down to Yellowstone and Teton then home. So my question is if you live in or have rode at any of these places what would you recomend? Were looking for DH stuff. I know most places in BC are pretty cool about letting you know where to ride, but if anyone knows of any must does or don't does please let me know.
Thanks

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
when you go through Idaho hit SILVER MOUNTAIN up in kellogg, idaho. It is realy big and stupid fast. You gotta check it out. only like 26 bucks a day.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Spend some time in Whistler. Put 2 days in the bikepark and the rest in the valley trails. Most of the trails you can ride to from the village (minus places like Kyber, Ride dont slide, etc...which you take the garbo lift and then head up from the road that crosses no joke...)

Depending on how you are driving to the loops (I suggest the scenic way through lillooet - 99 east to 97) will decide what else you ride along the way.

Once you are in the loops, there are a few spots you have to hit.

1 - harper mountain. You will need two trucks (the road up is brutal on small vehicles) and a guide. Very long downhill (two different lines with a bazillion offshoots) which can take up most of a day for your first time there to get it all in.

2 - Lolo mountain. The trip up is rough on any vehicle, and the trails are full of stunts and it is STEEEEEP. Super fun!

3 - Greenstone. This you will NEED a guide. 35ish minutes drive up a well maintained gravel road through farm land. You get to the towers (trailhead) and you start your 2.5 hour downhill (2ish hours if you haul and don't stop) through winding awesome higher alpine to rocky singletrack. Lots of stunts and lots of lines. If you don't have a guide, you will get lost and you will never be found. Expect 3-4 hours for this trip.

(4 and 5 are not in Kamloops, but not a long drive from the loops so I will include them in the loops section)

4 - Sunpeaks. Great riding. Every trail is down a fall line so expect steep, loose, and yeehaw riding. Very rough, very natural...

5 - Silverstar. A mini-whistler of sorts. They upkeep that place nicely and the trails show it. A very intermediate mountain. What I mean by that is every stunt on it is easy with little->no consequence, nothing is very steep, and you can just mach all over the place with a big grin on your face. Also home to the two coolest wallrides on earth on World Cup. Worth the trip there just for that. Actually Double Dog is a super fun trail too!

6 - If time permits, take a run down Rose Hill. While it is fun, your time would be best spent on one of the other places. Great way to dial your bike in if you had to have work done on it.

7 - For jumping and whatnot...there are two places close to Rose Hill. The first is the famous bike ranch. It starts on Juniper (shuttle-able) and it's a dh course built like a-line, but much bigger. The second place is a bit unknown to non-locals, and it is called "upland jumps". Very small place to put an hour or two in...It is in Barnhartvale (about 20 mins from the valleyview location of the bike ranch).

So from there, you are on your own :) I spend lots of time in Whistler and Kamloops so I know them quite well, but outside of them...I am of little help :)

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I'd definitely 2nd the Whistler road trip, but if you're looking for something a little closer and more cross-countryish, check out Devil's Gulch and Mission Ridge in Wenatchee. They are both shuttleable or you can ride up, but there are good times to be had in the Wenatchee/Leavenworth area!

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Neither is Revelstoke, which has amazing riding. Nor is Squamish...the list can be made into a full year's worth of riding :)

OH, if you do wind up in Kelowna, be sure to hit up Powers. Some great new woodwork has gone up and you would be hard pressed to ride there w/out a huge grin :)

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Thanks for the replies. I have rode Leavenworth a few times, but half the piont of the trip is to be gone for more than a weekend, so local stuff has either been done or will be done at a future time. Also I have rode Whistler for the last few years and I've also hit Squamish once and the Shore once so I'm not sure if we will do those on this trip. The trail I rode in Squamish was sick (the 19th Hole), but the Shore was okay, have similar stuff thats closer so I don't need to drive that far to ride Shore stuff.