Quantcast

Roam Feedback

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
For those of you who have received yours, what do you think? Do you like the added narration?

I really enjoyed the part shot in Prague. That guy's amazing, esp. when he balances on the railroad track.

My only major gripe is that it was only 40 min.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
stosh said:
It's on my Hard Drive at home. I haven't watched it yet.
You douche. You could at least buy a copy of the DVD to support the film makers. It's not like you're screwing over a big Hollywood film company and "sticking it to the man" by downloading a bike movie. Jeez. :stosh:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
dexterq20 said:
You douche. You could at least buy a copy of the DVD to support the film makers. It's not like you're screwing over a big Hollywood film company and "sticking it to the man" by downloading a bike movie. Jeez. :stosh:
Actually I did.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Leech is probably the smoothest, most consistent technical rider on the planet. I still nearly s*** myself every time i watch the clip of him riding on a chain

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am not a trials rider and have never followed it, but every time Ryan Leech is in a video, he blows me away. Sort of the Rodney Mullen of mountain bikes.

My favorite shot is Whistler. The way they shoot a rider for a strech, then switch out with the 4x finish was well done. I watch it over and over. Also, I would have liked to see more shore, but what they showed was cool.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I didn't think it was as "artsy" as the first but the technical aspects of the shots are amazing. I thought it was short too. For all their talk of capturing "flow" in "The Collective" I thought they spent too much time on the "one hit wonder" jumps although they are fun to watch. And they are probably a necesary evil for bike videos these days.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
jonKranked said:
I still nearly s*** myself every time i watch the clip of him riding on a chain
:stupid:

Straight up ridiculous-like. Does he just ride the rail road track in Roam? There's some vid of him 180ing from one to the other...sickening.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
The best part about ROAM was the shots of b-claw on the north shore to some RJD2...I was totally blown away with the new school trails he was hitting as well as the filming. I really like the moab sections as well, as it is always cool to see places you have ridden being shredded by some of the rockstars. I didn't really think the moracco section was that great, but i never like those sections that are in some exotic location, i would rather see alot more vancouver footage as the stuff there is just beautiful and the riding is at a whole other level.

All and all i loved the movie, a few parts got a bit slow but my favorite flick to date. Cant wait for the next effort from these guys...

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
What did you guys think of the special footage and the DVD extras?

I always enjoy seeing how the films are made and watching the camera guys ziptie between trees. The crash out takes are a guilty pleasure too.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
What did you guys think of the special footage and the DVD extras?

I always enjoy seeing how the films are made and watching the camera guys ziptie between trees. The crash out takes are a guilty pleasure too.
Do you empathize with them when they crash?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
Bullitrider said:
I didn't think it was as "artsy" as the first but the technical aspects of the shots are amazing. I thought it was short too. For all their talk of capturing "flow" in "The Collective" I thought they spent too much time on the "one hit wonder" jumps although they are fun to watch. And they are probably a necesary evil for bike videos these days.
the video is amazing, its was "artzy" the colors were amazing, and the park was great they captured the passion and speed envolved in riding the bike downhill. i can't go 2 minutes watching it without having an erge to get on my bike and ride. some things were repeated from previous videos yet it still looked great. Its just a little on the short side, or maybe it just feels like it.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I thought it was too short at the premier, but I wasn't sure if the beer they were serving had altered my perception.... anyway - I bought it, I like it, and watch it repeatedly.... you should watch it with the director's commentary on, and then watch it again....

If I had to pick something to bag on, it would be the Warren Miller-esque commentary. The guy is not Warren and wtf does "with mt. biking there is no destination, just a bike, a rider and a place to ride" mean - I'm pretty sure the place to ride is the destination

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Maybe Im alone, but I seriously thought that roam blew...HARD.

They had a ton of good riders/materials/clips to work with, and they managed to mess it all up. The movie would be about 8minutes long without slow-motion, so you are really watching 1/2 a movie. It was seriously terrible.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
bluebug32 said:
For those of you who have received yours, what do you think? Do you like the added narration?

I really enjoyed the part shot in Prague. That guy's amazing, esp. when he balances on the railroad track.

My only major gripe is that it was only 40 min.
Did you pick it up locally or order it? If local, where did you find it? I've been looking and can't find it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I hate crash sections, never watch them...Much rather see a guys smooth a section then bail...
Ditto, I don't really get too pumped up for riding watching some guy eat sh!t. :dead:

mcrae2112

Chimp
Mar 15, 2006
Duvall
Thought it was pretty good. Not the best I've seen but I like it because its different from movies such as the NWD series. The first part with riding the north shore was pretty sick.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
cadmus said:
I thought it was too short at the premier, but I wasn't sure if the beer they were serving had altered my perception.... anyway - I bought it, I like it, and watch it repeatedly.... you should watch it with the director's commentary on, and then watch it again....

If I had to pick something to bag on, it would be the Warren Miller-esque commentary. The guy is not Warren and wtf does "with mt. biking there is no destination, just a bike, a rider and a place to ride" mean - I'm pretty sure the place to ride is the destination
I thought the commentary was cool. The dudes that make the movie are without a doubt in it for the love of biking, and the commentary communicated that to the watcher. And I believe what he ment in that part you quoted was that it is all about the action of riding the bike, being in the moment, not about trying to "get somewhere" or the final destination.

All in all I thought it was an awesome movie, but like any movie, to each their own and with either of the two Collective's, either you get it or you don't. I really enjoy them over the NWD's of late.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
If any posts should get deleted in the lounge they should be the ones that are promoting downloading of riding movies, isnt this a direct violation of the guidelines? I guess if you have a post count of 6,000+ echo will leave you alone...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
manhattanprjkt83 said:
If any posts should get deleted in the lounge they should be the ones that are promoting downloading of riding movies, isnt this a direct violation of the guidelines? I guess if you have a post count of 6,000+ echo will leave you alone...
:nopity:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
manhattanprjkt83 said:
What about posts about driving drunk? Same deal?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Ya know I'm looking directly at my inbox right now and nobody reported this thread. Imagine that. Hey genius I DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ EVERY DAMN THREAD, if you see something inappropriate REPORT IT. :rolleyes:

I'm so f*cking sick of you whiners.

Nathan Cloud

Chimp
Jun 27, 2005
Burlington, CT
I liked Roam.

The overhead sequence they shot of barreclothe cranking along up off and over was beautiful. And the Whistler and Leech stuff I thought was great. I was never a big fan of the dirt jumping stuff, but thats ok.

Have not listened to the commentary though, will have to do that.