Quantcast

roasted veggies

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
made this over the weekend, thought i'd share.

preheat oven to 450.
cauliflower. cut, toss with s&p & garlic powder in truffle oil.
put in pan, roast in oven 10 minutes.
while cauliflower is roasting, clean, stem, and quarter shiitake mushrooms. toss in same mix as above.
once cauliflower has roasted 10 minutes, add mushrooms and roast another 10 minutes.
during this roast, grate cheese. i used a mix of gruyere and gouda.
after second 10 minute roast, top with cheese, put back in oven until cheese is melted.
enjoy.

i probably went a little heavy on the cheese this time around. also considering adding other veggies.

1578408474561.png

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
No such thing as too heavy on the cheese, I say.

Looks good. Maybe add some white wine for extra flavor...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i almost feel like this really needs a 3rd veggie. i was considering asparagus, but not sure if the bitterness would properly compliment the flavor. maybe some other kind of earthy root vegetable? i don't know why but my brain said "parsnip" despite the fact i've never actually cooked one.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
maybe a turnip or a rutabaga? again, still things i've never cooked.
When roasting root veg, it doesn't really matter - throw all that shit in there! I would avoid the asparagus - the cook time is quite a bit less than cauliflower, broccoli, and root veggies. By the time the roots are done, you may not even be able to recognize the asparagus. :D

Can vouch for parsnips, turnips, and rutabaga - all good roasted! I prefer to roast mine after marinating them in a simple balsamic/olive oil conconction. Then roast them until the oil/vinegar starts to carmelize a bit, mix that delicious balsamic reduction over the top of things, roast a bit more, then enjoy.

ETA: on the carrot topic - try those multi-colored carrots. Just to get a bit of extra color variety, if nothing else.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Can vouch for parsnips, turnips, and rutabaga - all good roasted! I prefer to roast mine after marinating them in a simple balsamic/olive oil conconction. Then roast them until the oil/vinegar starts to carmelize a bit, mix that delicious balsamic reduction over the top of things, roast a bit more, then enjoy.
now i feel like i missed out by not having these as a kid (which is why i don't know how to cook them)

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Brussels sprouts, celeriac and Kohlrabi work pretty well too. I often toss in some beetroot as well, which of course doesn’t have any crunch but the taste and texture contrasts nicely with the other vegetables.

I usually do the same thing SkaredShtles does or use soy sauce instead of balsamic if I add any salmon to the mix.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Brussels sprouts, celeriac and Kohlrabi work pretty well too. I often toss in some beetroot as well, which of course doesn’t have any crunch but the taste and texture contrasts nicely with the other vegetables.

I usually do the same thing SkaredShtles does or use soy sauce instead of balsamic if I add any salmon to the mix.
i'm not really a fan of brussel sprouts or beets, so i'd pass on those. the other ones i've never heard of but googling them sounds intriguing if i can find them.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
i'm not really a fan of brussel sprouts or beets, so i'd pass on those. the other ones i've never heard of but googling them sounds intriguing if i can find them.
I only mentioned them because I heard from others that they are available on the East coast. I'm particularly fond of Kohlrabi, it's what happens when a turnip screws a cabbage. Has bit of mustardy spice in raw form, but develops a nice sweetness when it's cooked or baked.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Try Roasting Leak and Fennel. 1:1 And several finely chopped Shallots, sauteed in Butter and Sherry. I flame it as I turn off the very high flame... You can skip that step... It is rather impressive though... Does nothing to make it betterrer...