Quantcast

Robby Gordon can't be as light as a woman...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Everybody in motorsports knows Gordon is arrogant as all hell. He pulled into the Herbst pits while way in the lead of a Baja race just to tell the Herbst crew that he could chill out eat a whole pizza and case of beer and still win the race. Gordon then pulled out of the pit and continued the race only to DNF from a mechanical failure shortly later.

I know that in order to have the drive to win you need to also be incredibly confident but some guys like Gordon and Palmer for instance seem to take it too far.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Dem0 said:
LOL what you guys fail to realize is that 1mph faster is ALOT lap after lap but shes not going to win so he should have kept the comment to himself
What you (and many others) fail to realize is that A LOT is two words. :D

;)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
DRB said:
He is an a$$ but in this case he is right. Driver weight should be considered when calculating car weight.
Then driver strength should be compensated for as well. To put it in cycling terms, this is like Ulrich complaining that since the climbers are smaller than him, they need extra weight on their bikes for the mountain stages.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Robby Gordon is just having a hissy fit because a Female driver is better than he is. But then a 10 year old is a better driver than Robby Gordon.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
AAAAHAAAHAHHHAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAhAAAaaaahah..ah.oh wow...AHAHAHAAAA ah ha ha ah ha... (and so on)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Robbie's a bitch. He's always made excuses for his lack of skill in any kind of formula car (open wheels/open cockpit), especially on road courses. He is however, a great off road driver.

Danika is a solid driver no matter how you cut it. I have been following her since she was in karts. I remember reading interviews and reports about her in karting magazines when she was driving karts. Even then she was expected to go far. She's been kicking ass in many different series for a long time. Including series where they have a minimum weight for car/kart and driver combined. When you start in karts as a kid and you take it as seriously as she and her family have you will likely end up racing at higher levels. Go karts are just about the best training a driver can have. She's doing good, but she's still a rookie and has lot's to learn, though.

If other drivers are complaining, the IRL can change their rules and weigh the car and driver together. Racing is a small, light and strong persons sport. Racing usually is. If the 200 pounders can't handle that then maybe they should go play football.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i thought the minimal weights were meassured with the driver and fluids..

if not a 50lb difference in a racecar in a place like indy (very small differences in driving) over 500 miles add up a crapload....
50lbs is more than enough handicap to overshadow superior driving abilities.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So should we divide marathon runners into weight categories, too? Jockeys? Not saying weight doesn't make a difference...just that certain body types are more geared for certain sports. Should we penalize basketball players for being too tall?

I understand weight classes in boxing/wrestling, etc., but car racing?

In any case, it's fun to read his bitching.

MD

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Robby has a point...regardless if he is a complainer or not. Racing at that level brings on new challanges and all the teams spend countless hours engineering their cars to be the best. 1 mph is a huge advantage at that level, and a 100lb weight advantage improves your gas mileage as well. Many of you may think these are small factors compared to driver ability, but they are not. All these guys can drive, we know that, the difference is the car and the setup. IRL should have a minimum weight with driver...not just the car. No one should have an unfair advantage. As far as people saying she is being held back because of physical streangth...well she has been racing for years and her muscles are up to par for what she is doing, so there is no disadvantage.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
W3rd, Robby is a bit of a cocky biach. And even though I do not know much about Indy racing, I can't imagine that many other people are bitching at the fact that this girl has an advantage. I think Robby should stick with Off-Road racing full time, but there is no money in that so I guess he need to race on the road. Punkass is right, Every time I talk to Robby or see him at the races he is extremely cocky and confident. Even though he is probably the best Off-Road driver of all time, It gets old real quick.

*edit- I heard that when he starts drinking he becomes quite friendly :confused:

-ALF

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
speedster said:
Robby has a point...regardless if he is a complainer or not. Racing at that level brings on new challanges and all the teams spend countless hours engineering their cars to be the best. 1 mph is a huge advantage at that level, and a 100lb weight advantage improves your gas mileage as well. Many of you may think these are small factors compared to driver ability, but they are not. All these guys can drive, we know that, the difference is the car and the setup. IRL should have a minimum weight with driver...not just the car. No one should have an unfair advantage. As far as people saying she is being held back because of physical streangth...well she has been racing for years and her muscles are up to par for what she is doing, so there is no disadvantage.
Then the other drivers should get off there lazy ass and train. Not everyone who drives is 200lbs either. What about 120-250lbs guys?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
MikeD said:
So should we divide marathon runners into weight categories, too? Jockeys? Not saying weight doesn't make a difference...just that certain body types are more geared for certain sports. Should we penalize basketball players for being too tall?

I understand weight classes in boxing/wrestling, etc., but car racing?

In any case, it's fun to read his bitching.

MD
Weight classes? :rolleyes: Maybe they should just get the puke toilets like they have for jockeys.....

Its called ballast and its added to cars all the time to make up for differences in driver weight, which pretty much every other racing series (F1 and NASCAR being the two big examples along with pretty much every karting association) includes in their vehicle weight determination. IRL does not. This is not the first time drivers and owners have complained about it in IRL. After Helio Castroneves won his first Indy 500, Rahal made a number of comments about it. Its just this time Gordon made the comment against the golden girl and savior of IRL which seems to get everyone's panties' in a bunch.

He never said she was a bad driver nor did he say that she didn't deserve to be there but with IRL rules the way they are she does have an advantage over a huge portion of the field. And don't expect that any change to be made as she is IRLs big chance to improve their ratings and sponsorship dollars. Even with her it is so completely unlikely that they will ever be able to even get in the same ballpark as NASCAR.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
she got 4th with quite a few errors and held the lead for a few laps towards the end. I understand where Gordon's complaints come from but it's a fact that he's a whiner and an egotistical SOB. If someone else had made the same comment it might have been taken more seriously. And I still think if the IRL rules are the way they are his chubby ass should go on a diet. He could drop 20 easy maybe even 30-40 if winning really meant that much to him (or if he really thinks the weight has that much to do with it). Nobody is forcing him to be over 200#, he could work with the rules a little more to his advantage.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
punkassean said:
Everybody in motorsports knows Gordon is arrogant as all hell. He pulled into the Herbst pits while way in the lead of a Baja race just to tell the Herbst crew that he could chill out eat a whole pizza and case of beer and still win the race. Gordon then pulled out of the pit and continued the race only to DNF from a mechanical failure shortly later.

I know that in order to have the drive to win you need to also be incredibly confident but some guys like Gordon and Palmer for instance seem to take it too far.
You should have seen him in the Paris-Dakar this year - he won a stage (the first for an american I think) and then screwed his car up making a stupid mistake which caused him to loose several places, and then whined when the team he was racing for told him he needed to stop and help his teammate (a woman) who was placed higher than him. When he stopped he threw his helmet and had a fit on camera..........nice............

Although I commend his talent, ovals, road courses, off road, he is a moron...........

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Transcend said:
hopefully she quits IRL and ends up in an F1 ride at the end of the season. Open wheel ovals..ugh.
Did you see Kimi's suspension explode this weekend on the last lap? That was incredible...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Silver said:
Did you see Kimi's suspension explode this weekend on the last lap? That was incredible...
I saw that! Amazing. I love almost all motor racing, but formula cars are my fave. I raced karts for a while and that's where I first heard about Danika Patrick, Alex Barron, Ritchie Hearn, and others. When you watched them race karts you just knew they would go far. They were just so fast. Karting was fun, but it's expensive. I would do it again if I could afford it though.

F1 is awsome, and I am glad Jacques got his head back on straight and got back to racing.

And Robbie Gordon is still a bitch.

Transcend said:
hopefully she quits IRL and ends up in an F1 ride at the end of the season. Open wheel ovals..ugh.
F1 would eat her alive. Give her a few years to get some good time in the seat.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Silver said:
Dude, that was nutty...........I taped the race and replayed that in slow mo..........wow.........excellent example of a classic castatrpohic carbon fiber failure.

BillT

Monkey
Transcend said:
She's not nearly good enough to land an F1 ride unless its a 'paid' ride for one of the backmarkers. Lately, with the exception of former Indy 500 winner Juan Pablo Montoya, the people that have come over from CART/IRL to F1 with much better resumes than Danica have failed miserably and have come back to CART/IRL within a season or two (Christiano da Matta is a perfect example).

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Andyman_1970 said:
Dude, that was nutty...........I taped the race and replayed that in slow mo..........wow.........excellent example of a classic castatrpohic carbon fiber failure.
The best was the commentator (Hobbs I think...) saying one lap before that he hoped that the suspension wouldn't explode :)

I wonder if Button pissed himself looking at Kimi in his mirrors?