Quantcast

Robby Gordon can't be as light as a woman...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Andyman_1970 said:
Only the kind that does a billion laps in one direction and uses out of date technology......................*cough*NASCAR*cough*
Yeah god forbid that a race series have an average margin of victory of less than a second, usually with two cars door to door at the finish. As compared to the ones where the avg. margin of victory is like 15 seconds with passing that usually only takes place in the pits. How I love formula 1.... :rolleyes:

Technology does not make the racing better.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Sherpa said:
Then the other drivers should get off there lazy ass and train. Not everyone who drives is 200lbs either. What about 120-250lbs guys?
Yeah look at the history of the Unser's. They don't get slow because they their driving skill goes away. They just get fat. In motorcycle road racing those guy are TINY. When I was racing at 16 I was 5'1" and was the big kid.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Silver said:
I wonder if Button pissed himself looking at Kimi in his mirrors?
I think Kimi got almost even with him with that happened...........I'll have to check the tape.......

I know if I was Kimi I would have peed my racing suit........good thing those wheel lanyards were on there.

Watching the few laps before the failure, the rubber and carcass flinging off the tire, and the vibration at high speeds was crazy........he was fortunate that tire lasted as long as it did. The failure occured at the end of the start finish straight, so I suspect the torsion on the suspensoin elements from the braking forces is what initated the failure.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
DRB said:
Yeah god forbid that a race series have an average margin of victory of less than a second, usually with two cars door to door at the finish. As compared to the ones where the avg. margin of victory is like 15 seconds with passing that usually only takes place in the pits. How I love formula 1.... :rolleyes:

Technology does not make the racing better.

Redneck.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Dem0 said:
No it's not, this is an internet forum therefore I don't have to spell anything correct, sorry kids but stick to your bikes.
While that happens to be true, be advised we will mock you unmercifully...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Silver said:
"alot" is two words, son...
Jeesus, do I have to use smilies for even YOU?

I thought you were on to my crisp, dry "humo(u)r."

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
If you are such the internet forum pro then you would have noticed both the smiley and wink I put after my first comment, placed there to make light of the situation.

Also if you don't care about spelling then that's fine but you can't say it isn't true. A lot is two words and that's a fact.

Finally, yawns is actually spelled with an s not a z IDIOT! :D ;)

*Vote for Summer*

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Wow...she is sooooooooo hot! :thumb:

To be honest, most of the racers are pretty small and light anyway...it's not like there is too much of a weight difference. You can exactly be very big and still fit in those small cars. Sounds like some of these dudes are coming up with excuses now, just in case she beats them...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
MikeD said:
Jeesus, do I have to use smilies for even YOU?

I thought you were on to my crisp, dry "humo(u)r."
I could ask the same for you...I was just "keeping it real" or "taking it to the next level" or whatever the hell kids say these days.

:D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
speedster said:
Robby has a point...regardless if he is a complainer or not. Racing at that level brings on new challanges and all the teams spend countless hours engineering their cars to be the best. 1 mph is a huge advantage at that level, and a 100lb weight advantage improves your gas mileage as well. Many of you may think these are small factors compared to driver ability, but they are not. All these guys can drive, we know that, the difference is the car and the setup. IRL should have a minimum weight with driver...not just the car. No one should have an unfair advantage. As far as people saying she is being held back because of physical streangth...well she has been racing for years and her muscles are up to par for what she is doing, so there is no disadvantage.
Every sport has different parameters. There are weight handicaps in horse racing but none in cycling.

I read some of the other points made, and if body weight is such a critical issue, then the other drivers will need to lose weight.

I know very little about motorcycle racing, but they all seem pretty skinny. Should they wear a weight belt to equalize for the fat riders?

Finally, I can believe the 100 lbs makes a difference. However, we are talking about vehicles with 100's of horsepower. If these cars are not "powerful" enough to push around another 100 lbs...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
sanjuro said:
Finally, I can believe the 100 lbs makes a difference. However, we are talking about vehicles with 100's of horsepower. If these cars are not "powerful" enough to push around another 100 lbs...
doesnt matter really. at those levels of driving, even 20 lbs make a noticeable difference between top drivers in one lap. let alone 500 miles of race.

BillT

Monkey
100 lbs might not seem like a lot and over 1 lap, it really isn't, but when you have a 500 mile race that extra couple of 1/100th's of a second add up to sizeable advantage, not to mention the added fuel comsumption, tire wear, and brake wear associated with carrying that extra weight. Like it has been mentioned earlier, the easy way out of this situation is if IRL changes their weight rules to include the driver weight when determining the minimum weight of the vehicle.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
The cars cannot go below a minimum weight with a driver - the cars are ballasted to account for the various driver weights - that's why in F1 you see the drivers go right to be weighted after they finish a race.

BillT

Monkey
Andyman_1970 said:
The cars cannot go below a minimum weight with a driver - the cars are ballasted to account for the various driver weights - that's why in F1 you see the drivers go right to be weighted after they finish a race.
And its why you see the drivers sucking down as much fluid as they can stomach - just to be sure they make the minimum weight.