Quantcast

Robert Pollard, live concert photos from last night

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
friday's SotD choice played last night, so i dragged my camera over and took a crapload (2GB of RAW) of pictures. i've done what little post-processing work i know how to do, and some photos are ready for sharing. i won't go into a lot of detail around the show, but think it was a more enjoyable show overall than the Guided By Voices Electrifying Conclusion show in '04 i saw in boston, despite my relative lack of familiarity w/ the new stuff (talking From A Compound Eye here; obviously i don't know the as of yet unreleased Normal Happiness...i've got SO much damn stuff to listen to, i didn't really ever sit down and digest FaCE in great detail. demerits for me, i know).

anyway, the band sounded great, i thought, and jon wurster (Superchunk) is a really good drummer. it's nice to not have the drunken frat enviroment all around (both on stage and in the audience).

highlights for me were "Choking Tara" (sounded INCREDIBLE i was so elated they played it!) and "Gold Star for Robot Boy" which has become my boy's favorite song in the world; great to hear bob sing it w/ vigor. i must admit that the GBV-heavy stuff later on held more of my interest, but there were highlights through ("conquerer of the moon" will definitely be a live fave from now on, and "love is stronger than witchcraft" is well-crafted pop song and hook in the great Pollardian tradition.

ok, onto the pics...apologies if you are on dial up and/or have a small monitor, but the overall file size is rather small and i tried to limit the photos to a manageable size.

first are a couple shots of Richard Davies. his voice sounded a bit flat, but overall the band and songs were pretty good, sometimes edging into the strong category. i'll pull out my Cardinal lp later on this weekend.

onto the main event...reverend bob, addressing his flock:

instantly identifiable Bob face:

there was beer served (none of the cig or tequila shots came out well):

taking a short break:

the man behind the kit (was tough to get a good shot of him from my vantage...his cymbal was in the way a lot of the time):

my attempt at an arty shot, somewhat sabotaged by that mic stand:

arty shot, pt2...TK stretches out:

the man w/ the SG:

disco ball in the house:

i think i managed to balance having fun and enjoying the show while still taking a crapload of photos...one guy gave me a hard time for elbowing him/standing my ground while taking shots, and then stowing the camera again. i'm kinda glad he prompted me to take it back out because some of the last shots were the best, as i got a bit closer to the center of the stage.

ROCK!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the Paradise. it wasn't TOO crowded, so it made my life (at least in taking pictures) easier...i set up camp on the right side of the stage fairly early.

i am dead tired now though...got into bed at around 2:30, woke up at about 7, then met up w/ couching tiger, PK, and another guy for a 3 hr ride on tough trails...time for bed.

splat

Nam I am
narlus said:
the Paradise. it wasn't TOO crowded, so it made my life (at least in taking pictures) easier...i set up camp on the right side of the stage fairly early.

i am dead tired now though...got into bed at around 2:30, woke up at about 7, then met up w/ couching tiger, PK, and another guy for a 3 hr ride on tough trails...time for bed.
PK and Couch ?? thats a Death March!! I hope you weren't on your evil.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Wow GREAT PICS! That sounds like a hell of a show! I think the times I saw GBV I was as interested in the stage performance of Pollard as I was the music itself, cause you pretty much knew the music, but you never knew what kind of stage antics you were going to get. I think my fav. was his ongoing impersonation of Roger Daltry at the one show I saw at a small club here in P-Burgh. He kept swinging the mic around by the cord, it was great.

thanks for the pics! good stuff:thumb: