Quantcast

Rochester area loses one of its best...

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
Wow...that sucks. Didn't know of him...but from what I've seen...anyone from Rochester is alright with me!!! Sorry for the loss. :cupidarrow:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
WOW...

Echo any more details?

I lost my friend/Veterinarian last year when a motorist who was "blinded by the sun" made a left hand turn directly into him. He was only a mile from the park, on a road that is commonly used by cyclists!

what a shame and loss.

my thoughts go out to his family.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
..dammit! :(

..my roadie pals say MTBing is too dangerous and yet the always have someone getting hit and injured by cars/beer bottles etc...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
All I've heard so far is that he was hit by a 61 year old woman who was going in the same direction as him. Other than that there's not much info right now, other than they cancelled the local races this week.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
All I've heard so far is that he was hit by a 61 year old woman who was going in the same direction as him. Other than that there's not much info right now, other than they cancelled the local races this week.

boy, that really is depressing.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Cops probe death of bicyclist in collision

Victoria E. Freile
Staff writer

September 14, 2006 7:52 am — LIMA — Livingston County Sheriff's deputies today are investigating an accident that killed a bicyclist on Routes 5 and 20 in Lima, Livingston County.
Jonathan Dechau, 33, of Lima was killed last night after a motor vehicle collided with his bicycle along the roadway at 6:15 p.m., deputies said. Dechau reportedly died at the scene.

According to deputies, motorist Sharon Cameron, 61, of Lima, struck Dechau's bicycle while both were both traveling west on Routes 5 and 20 in Lima. The vehicle and the bicycle collided the roadway, near Harold Avenue, deputies said.

VFREILE@DemocratandChronicle.com

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
My deepest condolences go out to Dechau’s family, friends, and the entire cycling community. What a terrible loss; it’s never easy hearing news like this.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Cyclist Killed Near Rochester, NY
By Alan Cote

Every cyclist's worst fear was realized for Jon Dechau on the evening of September 13. Dechau, 33, was killed after being struck from behind by a motorist. The accident occurred in Lima, New York, about 20 miles south of Rochester.

The Livingston County sheriff's office said that Dechau was riding westbound on the shoulder of route 20 approximately two feet to the right of the white line.A sheriff's spokesman said a westbound vehicle driven by Sharon Cameron, 61, crossed the white line and struck Dechau from behind at approximately 45-50 mph, and Dechau died at the scene.

Cameron could not provide an explanation to police as to why her vehicle drifted from the travel lane to the shoulder. She freely submitted to a blood test as part of the accident investigation, and police do not believe she was under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Results of investigation will determine if charges will be filed against Cameron.

Dechau was a champion cyclist who began racing with the Genesee Valley Cycling Club in 1989. His cycling accomplishments included winning numerous medals at the Empire State Games and State Championships, competing in the 2000 Olympic trials, and two top-20 finishes in the US National Time Trial Championships. In late 2000 signed to ride as pro for the ill-fated Noblehouse team, before turning his attention to family and work in more recent years. A man of deep Christian faith, he leaves his wife Debbie, 9 year old son Tyler, and new born baby (Lillian Page). Funeral arrangements have not yet been announced.