Quantcast

Rock garden techniques

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
SCARY said:
When approaching a rock garden ,look for the closest Norba official and yell at the top of your lungs."THIS THING IS GONNA KILL SOMEBODY!!YOU SHOULD REMOVE THIS BARBARIC SECTION AT ONCE !!!THIS IS NOT A "DOWNHILL TRIALS COURSE"!!DON'T YOU BLOODTHIRSTY ,LOW BROW ANIMALS CARE THAT YOU'RE CHARGING PEOPLE TO HASTEN THEIR OWN CERTAIN DEATHS??!!!.Then tip toe the whole section and return to your GT trailer,where your mechanic will futher polish your propaganda skills ...so hopefully in the near future we can just wipe Vermont off the racemap altogether.
Yeah, because we all hated Nevegal so much...or Cap D'ail...go ride those rocks and tell me how cool vermonts trials BS is. But hey, glad you find me so powerful and influential! Sweet.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Brunettes said:
What next? F#@k skinsuits? :rolleyes:
haha super 8 much?

I wanted to write that on my bars too, then i see it on someones frame the movie :mad: :mad: oh well, I'll have to settle for " PIN IT J.GNAR. "

biker3

Turbo Monkey
That GIF of Curtis Keene shows it pretty well. The bike needs to be loose between your legs so it can thread while your body stays straight forward. You want to keep your body moving straight through the rock garden while your bike confroms to the line or smaller rocks as best you can. Pumping and boosting can also help.

Also id vote Brian Head's rock section as up there for pretty nasty. The rocks weren't that huge but they were loose and the section was crazy steep into a weird rock drop thing.
This is right after the huck, you can see the rock section in the upper right, It went up prob 100 feet and turned on that bench where the log is.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
yeah, that's the cool thing about rockgardens.

they can be so different from one to another.

big rocks,
small rocks,
imbedded rocks,
loose rocks,
square rocks,
round rocks,
dry rocks,
wet slippery rocks.(my favorite)

it's great when they're all growing in the same garden.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
don't know if someone has said this yet, but i usually like aiming for the bigger rocks so i don't get stuck by them, and when i do this it lets me clear some of the smaller ones.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
zmtber said:
don't know if someone has said this yet, but i usually like aiming for the bigger rocks so i don't get stuck by them, and when i do this it lets me clear some of the smaller ones.
Well, I don't know about that overall strategy, but I do like when there's a nice big rock somewhere at the start- hit it fast and gap the whole thing or land in the middle with speeeeed.

Aug 6, 2005
waht should you do if the entire trail is covered with say, 3-8'' compleatly loose rocks? it seems like you can blow thru it but i always seem to get slowed up or bucked around to much. relaxing doznt help much

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
bikingisbetter said:
waht should you do if the entire trail is covered with say, 3-8'' compleatly loose rocks? it seems like you can blow thru it but i always seem to get slowed up or bucked around to much. relaxing doznt help much
About 4 bags of quickcrete and a good light rain:rofl:

dairy_dude

Chimp
Nov 19, 2004
^^ i've got about a 200-300 ft downhill ditch about a minutes ride from my house. Its covered in loose rocks ranging form about 5-15 inches in diameter. I've been going there for a while and I've found a few things that work well.

1. look down the trail so you can adjust and lift up to go over bigger rocks in your way.

2. Relax and stay back. I found the bike likes to do alot of the work I was doing so if I just stayed back and stayed loose it tended to find its own lines.(with a little guidance I can even pick what lines I go down :) )

3. MORE SPEED. I always used to take this ditch slow because of the size of the rocks, but recently I tried it with speed and as long as I stayed relaxed it was much smoother and much faster, and I was even a little dissapointed as it had almost become too easy to ride.

then i got a rude awakening when I was leaning too far forward and endo'ed into the rocks. Yup still fun.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bikingisbetter said:

Get light on the bike and hit it at full speed. Or what Zark said!

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Jeremy R said:
What you want to do it pedal as hard as you can right into the rock garden, then lean forward as far as you can possibly lean. Stretch your neck out, and to measure if you leaned foward enough, look down and make sure you are looking out over the front tire and onto dirt. Then as you approach the first rock, tense up your entire body as tight as you can, and when your front wheel touches the first rock,
push down on your front fork as hard as you can.
Try it, its a hoot!:bomb: ...:rofl:
I agree. Now that you have the 888 you need to get way forward and get as much weight as possible off of the rear wheel. Ride the fork like a unicycle. Next time we are out I will follow you and help coach you till it is right

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah and here's a story from 3 weeks ago.
I was dropping a 5' into a rock garden 5" - 15" crushed/jagged rocks on a retaining wall scenario. Approx. 150' in length going down to apple B's parking lot.
I dropped and held on, leaned back and was 15' from the exit out and "WHAM" I hit a small descent and 2' rise and looked like a lawn dart. There is 9' from my last tire mark to where it starts again in the bark and that one is only 18" long and only 1 tire (front) then there's another 8-9' before you see all the scrapes in the parking lot from the bike and me hitting and it wasn't right side up. :D

This is the what not to do in a rock gardn story.
I can't lift weights or apply any weight to either lower outside area of my palms and holding on to the bike is OK till i hit some gnarly stuff.

Yes there is discoloration and swelling still 3 weeks later. Its a rerun of last year and breaking my foot in the early spring and ruining thew season.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
i personally say medium speed through a rock garden. Too fast and you could loose control. too slow and you get bucked. so prolly a medium fast speed if that makes sense.

Stay low, kind of back, unweight when possible. Dont white knuckle the handle bar. Cranks even. off the brakes.

a good way to learn rock gardens is to start with small ones. then move your way up. if you live on the east coast theres more rocks then dirt.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Jeremy R said:
What you want to do it pedal as hard as you can right into the rock garden, then lean forward as far as you can possibly lean. Stretch your neck out, and to measure if you leaned foward enough, look down and make sure you are looking out over the front tire and onto dirt. Then as you approach the first rock, tense up your entire body as tight as you can, and when your front wheel touches the first rock,
push down on your front fork as hard as you can.
Try it, its a hoot!:bomb: ...:rofl:
OMG!!! I missed this the first time thru this thread. That's funny right there, I don't care who you are! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
snowskilz said:
i personally say medium speed through a rock garden. Too fast and you could loose control. too slow and you get bucked. so prolly a medium fast speed if that makes sense.

Stay low, kind of back, unweight when possible. Dont white knuckle the handle bar. Cranks even. off the brakes.

a good way to learn rock gardens is to start with small ones. then move your way up. if you live on the east coast theres more rocks then dirt.
Absolutely. What you are really saying is maintain momentum. Which is a bit different from speed. The whole "stay low, stay back, stay loose" goes toward keeping you on top of the rocks and moving forward. Too little momentum and your bike gets trapped in holes in the rocks and you endo.

I don't so much as work on maintaining a "line" through since I always seem to get bounced off my intended line. So I just hit the rocks and react to whatever is given me. Stay loose and keep the bike upright.

Mike

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Dartman said:
Absolutely. What you are really saying is maintain momentum. Which is a bit different from speed. The whole "stay low, stay back, stay loose" goes toward keeping you on top of the rocks and moving forward. Too little momentum and your bike gets trapped in holes in the rocks and you endo.

I don't so much as work on maintaining a "line" through since I always seem to get bounced off my intended line. So I just hit the rocks and react to whatever is given me. Stay loose and keep the bike upright.

Mike
Yeah momentum thats it. no wonder i failed college physics

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
I found one thing that helps is to not ever hesitate or flinch when you get knocked off your line or whatever, just keep attacking. Sometimes you'll hit a rock and get knocked away from where you were trying to go or the bike becomes unbalanced or whatever, but the less you try to recover and the more you try to keep attacking whatever line you're on (intentional or not), the better off you'll be. Sometimes you'll make the wrong decision and end up crashing or off the track, but that just goes down another brick in the palace of experience.