Quantcast

Rock Ring Suggestions Plz...

Zapp

Chimp
Oct 13, 2005
I am new to Mtn Biking and I am looking for a Rock ring or Bash Ring... I do not want to remove my big ring 44T i want a larger ring to protect it. I was just wondering if the Plastic or Poly ones are tough or if a Metal one is better and if so where can i find one? I have done lots of searching and only found plastic ones. I have a 4 hole crank set.

Thanks

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
you will have to remove the big ring for any sort of bashguard, sorry.

The e13 "Tuffmax" ones are near indestructable as long as you follow the directions with respect to bolt torque, using washers and not spraying them with gold paint.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Transcend said:
you will have to remove the big ring for any sort of bashguard, sorry.
Not true.

"Salsa Chainring Guard: 44 tooth max, 5-Bolt 94mm BCD, Silver in color. This ring is for use with a triple chainring set-up. The kit includes longer chainring bolts and spacers to mount the guard on the outside of the largest chainring. CNC Machined from 6061-T6 aluminum. Designed to protect your outer chainring from rocks, logs, small animals......"

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
McGRP01 said:
Not true.

"Salsa Chainring Guard: 44 tooth max, 5-Bolt 94mm BCD, Silver in color. This ring is for use with a triple chainring set-up. The kit includes longer chainring bolts and spacers to mount the guard on the outside of the largest chainring. CNC Machined from 6061-T6 aluminum. Designed to protect your outer chainring from rocks, logs, small animals......"
Interesting..not a bash guard really, more of a chainring protection device...cool tho.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think Salsa is the only company that makes what you're looking for. It's not a particularly rugged piece of hardware but it'll protect your ring from smaller impacts.

If you decide you do want something more rugged, that'll actually stand up to some good abuse, you can always reduce yourself to two chainrings of your choice. Just because you only have two doesn't mean your big chainring has to be a 32t. You could do a 40t chainring and, say, a 28t chainring - your shifting won't be great but you'd have a good big ring, and still a decent small ring.

Keep in mind, too, that the Salsa chainring guard is going to reduce your clearance under the chainrings, since it's larger than the big ring + chain. If you're bashing your 44t chainring on stuff (which I assume you're doing if you need some kind of protection), you're going to be bashing that Salsa guard twice as much.