Quantcast

Rock Shox Fork help

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
I have been looking for a fork for my wifes bike. I found this and ordered it.
http://classifieds.consumerreview.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=MtbReview&website=MtbReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=21614&query=retrieval
65 is worth it to me if you say its to expensive. Anyway the seller said that it works with cantilever brakes only. Well dont cantilever and v brakes use
the same mounts? I figured i could go to a bike shop and get the (what ever you call the posts for the brakes to slip on) and put them in my self. What do you think . Is that all i would need to do? Am I missing something? Thanks for the help.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Cantilever and V-brakes use the same type of brake boss. Actually, I think v-brakes are just a linear pull cantilever brake.

I assume your wife's bike needs a 1" threaded steer tube? That's the part that stuck out to me since a majority of mountain bikes use the 1 1/8" steer tube.

If memory serves, the Quadra was on the low end of the RS product line. I know I've seen it on department store bikes. This doesn't mean it's crap, but don't expect a lot of adjustability.

Do you know what year the fork is?

edit
Found this: http://www.sportimport.de/down/quadra.pdf

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
Thanks I was looking for that. But there is a small pic of the fork on the list i posted above. In the pic its black Im not sure what the deal is with it though. Beit a special production or what not. Also these forks have no stickers on them. But he said they dont have the post for the v brakes and the are for cantis only. But the guy kinda sound like he rieally didnt know or didnt care to tell me. I just hope im going to be able to use it.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by crackmunch
But he said they dont have the post for the v brakes and the are for cantis only. But the guy kinda sound like he rieally didnt know or didnt care to tell me. I just hope im going to be able to use it.
If it has posts for cantis, v-brakes should work. I've upgraded two bikes from cantis to v's with no problems

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Yeah, BikeGeek's right; it should work fine with Vees if it works with cantis.

If you right-click on the small picture, and click "Properties" you should get the address of the file. Copy/Paste that address into your browser address line and you'll get the full-size version of the pic (or just click below).

http://classifieds.consumerreview.com/classifieds/upload/MtbReview.21614.1.jpg

Once you look at it in full-size, it doesn't look like there are ANY posts on it. Perhaps the seller is just REALLY clueless and thinks "canti" brakes are road bike brakes. Which it doesn't appear to use either, but it has a hole on the arch, which perhaps he thinks is a mounting hole for roadie brakes.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I can't really tell from the pic if it has posts or not. The plastic on the one in the box looks slightly bulged where the bolts would be making me think that maybe they are there. The pictures on page 2 of the manual I linked show bolts that are removable. Maybe they are packaged separately and this guy didn't put them on for the ad picture.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
that was my main worry was getting some posts if it did not come with any. But if they did great and if not I got a guy at the bike shop I go to all the time is going to help me out. Were going to go through his BOX-O-PARTS to see what we can find. I just wnated to make sure i wasnt messing up my getting this fork.

Will i need to get some fork boots? Because it does not come with them.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
I know the answer!!

Clueless seller. The brake arch has no cable hanger; so the fork is NOT compatible with canti brakes. He is confusing canti with v-brakes; I guess the shape of old canti brakes kinda looks like a "V" and that tripped him up. What he meant is that it's only v-brake compatible.

I imagine the posts are either not visible or not attached.

How's that sound?

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
-Frank Sinatra

Big John saved my life!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
sub6 -> Hmmm..could be.

Munch -> Boots can't hurt. Especially if this is an older fork. The manual for my '97 Judy XC warns me against going bootless. It says that the seals aren't designed for it.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
As far as boots, go, I honestly don't think it matters. It's better to use them, b/c the fork doesn't really have "seals", but you're not gonna die without them.

I used to have a Quadra (on my 1st mtb), and they really don't have "internals" to get messed up. If you take off the top caps, all that's in there is a big elastomer and a bunch of grease.

Granted, the more dust you keep out, the better, but it's not like there's a cartridge or springs, or oil, or anything in there. Plus, the stanchion tubes are beefy-ass steel, and probably hard to damage.

If you want a pair of Judy boots, I have some you can have....

-Frank Sinatra

Big John saved my life!

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Although you risk little in terms of damage, running a Quadra w/o boots will shorten the amount of time that it performs well. Dirt, etc. getting into the fork will degrade the performance pretty heavily. Based on the fact that there is no canti cable stop, I would guess that the fork is a 95 or 96 model year. The Indy came out in 97, if I'm not mistaken, and replaced the Quadra. the internals will tell a lot about how old it is. If the elastomres are one big piece, it's real old. The later models had a number of smaller pieces held together with plastic washers. Type II springs came out with the Indy and included a small coil along with the elastomers.

The headtube question is an important one. Threaded and 1" have not been common for quite some time now with the exception of Bontragers.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
HAHA!!! Don't hear "Quadra" and "performs well" in the same sentance very often..........

-Frank Sinatra

Big John saved my life!

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
The fork not having a cable hanger is no problem. The wife's bike has one built in the stem. And performance wise she's not really hard on the bike, and it's better than the manitou one that is completely collasped. Thanks for the help.:monkey: s

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Touche' on the performance comment.

DO NOT use the cable stop in the stem in conjunction with cantilever brakes! The distance between the stop and the brakes will change as the fork moves and at best will only mean losing front braking power. At worst, the front brake could lock as the cable is pulled tight unexpectedly which is bad news. You will need a V-brake for the front if you're going to use that fork.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
Good point jack. Well i guess i need to go and find a brake hanger. I dont have any v brake parts. I i owuld like to use this fork on the ride this weekend. Hopefully the cike shop will have one in a box in the back room some where.