Quantcast

Rock Shox Monarch/Vivid Mount Kits

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Howdy,

I'd like to get some of the Vivid shock mount kits for my DHX 5 but, I'm not sure if the frame mount width is the measurement inside the frame mount or the outside. I assume it's the outside? The front is a bit shorter on my bike so, I'd need to get 2 different sizes. Also, they don't have the exact dimensions so, I suppose I go with the shorter version?

Link to the mount order page:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=19939&category=2641

Thanks fer yer help!

Attachments

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
The one issue is the inside width is the same on both ends but, the frame mount on the front is a bracket and slightly thinner than the back mount which is mounted directly to the frame. Won't the sleeve be either too long in the front or too short for the back? Not sure if that all makes sense :)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Yes, inside. It would be the 15mm measurement in your graphic...then of course you have either (usually) a 6mm or 8mm bolt diameter.

What do you get for a measurement? What frame? Some mfg list this info...most can provide it by phone.

edit: The mounting hardware butts to the inside of the frame mounitng tabs. The bolt will need to be longer or shorter if the tabs are thicker or thinner, but the shock reducer/sleeve will not change with varying tab thickness.

Last edited:

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Yes, inside. It would be the 15mm measurement in your graphic...then of course you have either (usually) a 6mm or 8mm bolt diameter.

What do you get for a measurement? What frame? Some mfg list this info...most can provide it by phone.

edit: The mounting hardware butts to the inside of the frame mounitng tabs. The bolt will need to be longer or shorter if the tabs are thicker or thinner, but the shock reducer/sleeve will not change with varying tab thickness.
I see Dave, thanks for the explanation. It's an 09 Orange 224 with 6mm bolts. I'll go check out Orange to see if they have the dimensions but, I think my only option is the 16mm spacers because they are the shortest ones available.

btw, doesn't it seem kind of strange the sleeves don't go slightly into the frame mounting tabs? If they dont there will be a ton of play no matter how much you tighten the bolts because the frame mounts would be pivoting around the bolts instead of the sleeve?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
poking around the orange site, it looks like they might use some sort of proprietary mount. The guide references the outer tab widths and sort of sounds like their shock pin is internally threaded and actually goes through the shock mount tabs. This is very much non-typical.

If this is the case, the Vivid mounts will not work without some modifications. At the very least, you will have to buy them long, and grind them to length (just a few thou short of the outer tab measurement). If you grind the pins too short, the shock will bind....too long, and you will have slop that will eventually mess up the aluminum frame tab holes. You will then need some sort of through-bolt/nut as no stock mounting hardware will be internally threaded as it seems the Orange parts are....

On most frames, the pin is flush with the inside of the tab. A through bolt goes through the entire assembly, pullling the opposite tabs together and pinching the shock pin, holding it in place and preventing rotation. There is plenty of holding power as long as the through-bolt is kept tight.

Last edited:

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Actually, since I'm essentially just replacing the stock spacers with the Vivid mount, couldn't I just use the stock sleeves and bolts? They should just slide right through and are the perfect length?